Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Nay Aug Park Open Carry

deleted by author
    Last edited by jahwarrior72; May 22nd, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Nay Aug Park Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    this month is Autism Awareness Month. because of this, many organizations across the country chose this weekend to hold events. here in Scranton, the PLCTA, with help from other organizations, held their annual Autism Walk in Nay Aug Park.

you may ask yourself, what's it like being surrounded by a few hundred people and their autistic family members? well, a lot of handclapping and rocking, for one thing. seriously, though, it's nice to be able to walk around with my oldest girl, and not have to deal with people staring like jackasses when she screams without warning and bites herself. mostly because, there are a hundred or so other people doing it, too, but mostly, it's a normal part of life with an autistic child.

it was a pretty good day, with face painting, moon bouncers, and raffles.

i'll end this post with this thought: 1 in 150 children being born have autism. two of them are mine.
    I have one too. My son is 18. He and my wife participated in the walk held in Allentown today. I suppose I'm fortunate as my son stopped the hand flapping and just about all of the unusual behavior that made him noticeable in a crowd.

It's really heart-warming to see all of the support today. I'm sure you are every bit as proud of your two as I am of mine.

God gives these kids to special parents. Keep the faith my friend.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Nay Aug Park Open Carry

My best friend is a TSS and she has always worked with kids who have autism. For the longest time she worked with this one girl and she was just the most amazing child. She doesn't speak so my friend and the girl's family all learned sign language.

At some point she lost her eligibility for the funding for the program my friend worked for so she still worked with her privately for the family. My friend watched my son a lot back then because I was a single mom and my son became such good friends with her that he also learned sign language. All of my kids know this girl and have grown up around her. NONE of them have ever asked anything about the things she does which are different such as rocking or random noises she makes. The only thing they ever asked was why she doesn't talk. They know she can hear.

One summer I actually provided some care for her as well. It was really nice having her here and she loved coming.

I know what you mean about other people though. My friend and the kids and I went to Subway to eat one night. My friend went to the bathroom and at one point this girl got worked up about something and started making random noises REALLY loud. An employee came running out from the back and yelled at my son who was getting a drink to stop making all that noise! I stood up and said "it wasn't him it was her! she can't help it!" The woman actually argued with me and said she couldn't be acting like that in there. Well I was on the phone with the owner the next day. I couldn't believe that shit!

Anyway, glad you didn't get a hard time from anyone.