Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Handgun to 18 year old.

Hey guys, just a quick question...

I know that only a sheriff can transfer a handgun to an 18 year old, well I was thinking of giving a buddy one of mine so he can have one of his own. Is the Allegheny sheriff willing to do this? Does he have to? any more information would be helpful..

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Handgun to 18 year old.

No on both accounts. I called the cat when I was under 21, his secretaries/assistants/deputy/whatever said he wouldn't. How about having his parent buying one for him?

(Centre County)

Most Sheriff Depts won't transfer guns any more. What you could do is transfer it to his dad and the his dad could give it to him (gift) and no paperwork would be required other than the transfer from you to his dad. The above can be done as long as neither your friend nor his dad are not prohibited from owning/possessing guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Cool Re: Handgun to 18 year old.

I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I saw a "Kid" at a gun shop looking for ammo and browsing holsters. This genius lifted up his shirt and there tucked in his waistband was a Springfield XD. Pointing right at his family jewels.

I leaned over after the Gun Store employee (who was very cool about it) asked him to unload and said "hey kid, how old are you?". He told me he was 22.

I just think that younger people don't generally respect firearms and the younger crowd (in general, no offense) tends to be reckless. Let your friend wait until he's 21.
    Last edited by JustM88; April 19th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.

(Columbia County)

I would not generize carless gun handling as a youth problem. Some of the most carless gun handlers I have encountered were older than I ( I'm 52)

If nobody educates them, their ignorance will continue until the grave.

On another note. Why would an AD in his carry position be any worse than one in a traditional hip holster. After all there are large arteries and veins in the thigh. Were they to be severed by a bullet death would be quick.

A shot yo the family jewels would probably only cause a disfigurment injury and a slow death by embarassment.
    Last edited by denjask; April 19th, 2009 at 12:48 PM.

I'll give you a mental image - Hat on backwards, wife beater and shorts half way down his butt with a pistol tucked in the waistband... no lie.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustM88 View Post
    I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I saw a "Kid" at a gun shop looking for ammo and browsing holsters. This genius lifted up his shirt and there tucked in his waistband was a Springfield XD. Pointing right at his family jewels.

I leaned over after the Gun Store employee (who was very cool about it) asked him to unload and said "hey kid, how old are you?". He told me he was 22.

I just think that younger people don't generally respect firearms and the younger crowd (in general, no offense) tends to be reckless. Let your friend wait until he's 21.
    again i respect your opinion and this kid deserves to blow his balls off for that shyte but again that kind of assumption is what leads to people banning guns for all of us.. a small population ruins it for all... now me... im 23 and i know that i deffinetly respect guns and what happens when they go bang while aimed at someone or something...

now to the post... jst make sure they are both legal to have a gun... whats the reason you want him to have one?

(Lehigh County)

I'll give you a mental image - Hat on backwards, wife beater and shorts half way down his butt with a pistol tucked in the waistband... no lie.
    that describes half of the people i know during the summer...even me sometimes.... i didnt realize that made me someone to be afraid of... or is it because he carried a gun?

No offense, but who are you to decide who should and should not own and carry a firearm? Like others have said, bigotry like that is what gets guns banned for all of us. Assumptions are never a good thing....
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Cumberland County)

Although it has already been addressed above, I'll chime in and say that making ANY kind of generalization about fellow gun owners is uncalled for!!!

Just because you are older, you think you should be able to decide who can have a gun and who can't?

Ok, I guess then we should have a trade-off... younger people shouldn't have guns because they are too careless, right?
    Well, maybe old people shouldn't be allowed to drive because they cause too many accidents.
    Sounds fair huh?
    Last edited by jachrist; April 19th, 2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: fixing typos

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast