Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default OC for 3 mile walk at Wildwood Park

My son and I took the dog for the 3 mile walk around Wildwood Park (http://www.wildwoodlake.org/). The extremely nice weather prompted me to just throw on my OWB paddle holster and get out of the house.

The 20 or so people we met during the walk around the lake more or less completely ignored me. Other than a few glances, I recieved a smile and head tilt (not quite sure how to interpret that one) from a 40 something male and caught a women that stopped and turned around to stare after we past each other.
    Last edited by Howard Bullock; April 17th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

Default Re: OC for 3 mile walk at Wildwood Park

That's a nice hike there, maybe we'll see ya there sometime

Don't be skeer'd to say Hi just cuz I OC . . . . LOL
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Dauphin County)

Since the intial post in Apr 2009, I have been walking my dog at the Wildwood several times a week. Today I had my first negative comments about carrying my sidearm.

While getting bags for doggy cleanup an older woman (60's) parks and gets out of her car. While obtaining the poop bags and getting the dog going the correct direction, the lady sees both my strong and weak sides. I said hello and was greeted back with; "why do have a gun and taser and stuff like that at a park?" ( I don't carry a taser.) Before I could respond, her monologue continued; "That is the most disgusting thing I have every seen here." I asked if she would like to discuss my carry, but she continued to walk away stating "think of the children, why would they have to look at that?" I told her I would not respond any further because her mind is obviously set and she did not want any new information. To which she responded, "I guess that makes you a big, strong man" as we walked in different directions.

Well our walked continued around the lake meeting a dozen of more polite people that returned greetings pleasantly. As always we walked up the sidewalk at the park office and met some park workers cleaning up the area.

About a quarter mile from where we started I again met the woman above. I was prepared to be verbally accosted again. When we got within 15 feet of each other she speaks: "I guess I owe you an apology. I went to the park office (to report a MWAG) and was told that it was legal and OK for you to have it. I thanked her for the apology.

We talked for about a minute where I explained the reasons to carry a sidearm and related two experiences where it proved useful. She responded that she "did not like guns" and that "she carries a cell phone with which she would call the police." I reminded her that when seconds count the police are minutes away. We agreeded to disagree and each went our way.

Kudos to the park for knowing the law! And to you for OC of course, haha. I think it's sad that some people are so set in their ways, gun related or not.

(Philadelphia County)

I think the standard answer to the standard question, "why do you have a gun?" should be, "Because of the children. Don't you want our children to be safe?"
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Dauphin County)

thats funny Howard. a friend of mine ( Kathy) went for a walk around there today !! she had a great time and didnt mention a MWAG lol
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Lebanon County)

The thing that just baffles me with the philosophy of "I don't like you having a gun, so I will call th cops, since that's my protection" is this -

IF you were intending to criminally harm her, she would have faced the front end of the weapon long before she got to "report to the office" or use her cell phone.
    It was self evident by the lack of altercation that you were not a criminal, and had no criminal intent against her. If by that definition you are no threat, why call the authorities?

People just don't think! Very simply, if you had been WORTH calling the office or cops about - you never would have allowed her the chance. Is it really that complicated???!

(York County)

the children don't have to look at it if they don't want to. In her mind maybe children shouldn't see police officers either as most of them are open carrying.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    the children don't have to look at it if they don't want to. In her mind maybe children shouldn't see police officers either as most of them are open carrying.
    I thought the same thing when she said it, but did not want to throw that at her when she apologized.

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    thats funny Howard. a friend of mine ( Kathy) went for a walk around there today !! she had a great time and didnt mention a MWAG lol
    This was around 9:30AM What time did Kathy take her walk?

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for handling the situation so well Howard, and it was very nice of the elderly woman to apologize.

No one knows why she freaked out when she saw the firearm, but maybe she understands it's legal now and wont accost the next person she sees OCing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast