Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Maadi MISR S/A

(Butler County)

Default Maadi MISR S/A

Well, I did it.....I bought a new old stock Maadi MISR S/A 7.62 AK. I can't find much online about these guns though......it's not pretty but I was looking for a shooter. Anyone know what the deal is with these? It has the standard style furniture on it and I know that it's original.

I also bought a new old stock Norinco SKS Sporter....I think it was built in 1994.
    KG32A

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Maadi MISR S/A

Egyptian AKs are not really in my area of knowledge but I know that there was one model that was very hit and miss. Unfortunately I think it was the MISRs but I could be wrong. There was a discussion about these mid to late last year. You might be able to find it.

But overall, the Egyptian AKs are considered middle of the road as far as quality. Although, some of them have some beautiful wood. I'm actually debating whether or not to buy an Egyptian right now. Egyptian are suppose to be very very close to the original AKs minus the fun parts of course.

Post some pics of it.

eta: As a shooter ... you did good as long as you got a fair price.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Butler County)

I was specifically looking for something I could shoot, have fun, and not worry about. I've heard a few stories about the MISR S/A but I'll deal with them if they pop up. I called Century Arms and they told me this one came into the country in October of '99. It's been in the box on a shelf since then so it really needs cleaned up and oiled.

The SKS is the same story. It's been in a box on a shelf for a long time but it's in really nice condition. The stock looks good. I'll probably buy an aftermarket stock for it eventually.

I took a few quick pictures of them today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KG32A

(Lehigh County)

Mine's been here for about 10 years and maybe 2,000 rounds. Never a problem. Hope yours does the same!

(Allegheny County)

You have an AK; no worries!

The MAADI AKMs were some of the original gangstas of the USA AK scene in the 80's, IIRC they were real semi-only AKMs and imported by Steyr back then.

Their claim to fame was they were THE closest to a USSR-made AK that money could buy in the US - even down to the unique laminated palm-swell lower HGs and made on USSR machinery in Egypt by USSR-trained techs.

Their contempory CHICOM, Yugo, and FEG AKs available looked like Browning-built products by comparison, and the Valmet M62 barely resembled any of the rest.

Regardless, they embodied the true rough and tumble no frills AK spirit that the Russians intended.

(Lancaster County)

I can comment on your 'Sporter'.
    The date is incorporated into the ser. number and I'm guessing you already know that since you say it was built in 1994.

This model was designated in a few different fashions.
    You termed it a "Sporter' and no doubt that is what is stamped on the side of the receiver. They were also stamped MC5 on some models minus the word Sporter.

This model also came with a thumbhole stock.

As noted with yours there is no finished area one could mount a folding bayo rather a square mass was there in it's place.

Common referal amongst the SKS crowd calls this model the SKS-M and then denotes it as a MC stock (like yours) or Thumbhole stock.

Other variations of the M series do exsist but the majority fall into what I've stated above.

The other very similar looking model is commonly called the "D" series and to fall into that cat. they would have 20" barrels with a FSB that has a bayo attached.

A good link with many different variations and pictures is listed here which just happens to be my homepage.
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=17186.0

GREAT FIND and CONGRATS!!!!
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php