Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New to PA (Allegheny County) and need some advice

Hello all, on Saturday i am making the move to the Pittsburgh area (Moon Township to be precise) to start a doctoral program at RMU. I need some advice on good....

-gun shops (new guns and transfers)
    -ranges
    -clubs
    -gunsmiths
    -etc...

any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

here are some pics of guns that i own or have owned (as you can see i'm a gun guy)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to PA (Allegheny County) and need some advice

dusty 78,

Welcome to the area.

There is a tentative meet and greet in the works for Pittsburgh area members set for mid-May, good chance to meet some folks.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-114/5...et-dinner.html

Area clubs: A good quick reference is available here ...
    http://www.acslpa.org/ (main page)
    http://www.acslpa.org/n-mem_clubs/n-...mber_clubs.htm (club list with contact info, directions, etc ... )

There are _many_ good clubs near to you, nearest are:
    -- Coraopolis District Sportsmen's Association
    -- Forest Grove Sportsmen's Association
    -- McDonald's Sportsmen's Association

... others here on the forum can also help steer you towards an appropriate club depending upon your specific needs, for example are you primarily interested in pistol, long range rifle, etc ...

I'm a member at Coraopolis, our schedules mutually permitting we could meet so you could check it out. I'm maybe 4 miles downhill from you, the club is approx. 5 miles from RMU / 1.3 miles from my studio. Outdoor range + 24/7 indoor range. $125 first year (incl. $75 initiation fee), $50 per year thereafter.

You have a Gander Mountain less than 10 miles away with a resident gunsmith. Once you get to know the area a bit better there are many more to choose from based upon your needs.

Island Firearms performs transfers for $20. Wayne's a great guy and also a member at Coraopolis, also has club applications available in his shop. He's less than 5 miles from RMU, an easy drive (1 whole turn), just a few doors down from the RMU Sports Complex on Neville Island.

If you do not yet possess any carry permit/s, or wish to supplement those you may already possess, I'm an Instructor for the Utah Dept of Public Safety's firearm permit program + NRA and other training. I offer a discount program for forum members. You'd be able to achieve 29-34+ state permit coverage inexpensively.
    My website, including course info: www.utahbcicertifiedinstructor.com (PM or email me for course discount info)

Feel free to PM me here or contact me via my website to meet to tour the club or whatever ... welcome to the area

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Allegheny County)

Can't add to much more other than Welcome to the boards and PA. It's a lot different here compared to NJ.

There are monthly group shoots at the PMSC, it's probably an Hour drive from you where a bunch of us meet up to shoot. Don't have the link but it's easy to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

ok good stuff