Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Talking Bushmaster xm15 with 11.5 inch barrel and 5.5 inch flash hider

hi uhh i was wondering if anyone has any information about the bushmaster with the 11.5 inch hbar i have one i checked reviews that its no good only up to 40 meters ? if so what bullets would help me improve the performance of my Bushmaster?

(York County)

Default Re: Bushmaster xm15 with 11.5 inch barrel and 5.5 inch flash hider

40m or 400m I can hit full body mass up to 300 yard all they long with 55gr M193. Probably better grouping with 69gr M855. The rifle is design for close quarter engagement not long range so I'm happy with mine.

(Northumberland County)

oh ok thanks for the info! will lighter bullets increase the performance ? i only fired mine with open sights standing up at 25 yards and 15 yards all perfect shots but as i move out the groups open up like my old Ruger Ranch rifle i had before the bushmaster (i traded it in for the bushy plus $$)

(Montgomery County)

I wouldn't say it's no good.... the problem is that it doesn't make sense to have the 11.5" barrel when 16" is required to keep it a title 1 gun.

I think the rifle you have has a 1/9 twist barrel---it should be stamped on the barrel.

The problem is that when you have a short barrel, it is better to use the longer / heavier weight bullets 75-77g. These bullets usually work best in 1/7 twist barrels. I would buy a box of 75g tap ammo and see how accurate it shoots from your gun. Even using the 75g bullet, the bullet fragmentation will only happen out to about 60-75 yards. It will still make holes in bad guys but the bullet will not fragment, making the round much less effective. Either way, I wouldn’t want to be shot with one.

For just plinking at the range, any ol 55g ammo will be fine---even wolf. But for shtf, I’d try the heaviest bullet your rifle will shoot accurately.

(Northumberland County)

guns4 my Bushmaster has a 11.5 inch Hbar with a permanent attached flash suppressor i thought it was a full 16 inch barrel when i bought it then i was cleaning it i looked into the flash hider saw the barrel all the way down....that was sweet sorrow....

(Northumberland County)

Cool Re: Bushmaster xm15 with 11.5 inch barrel and 5.5 inch flash hider

i have a 1/9 twist i can barely find any 55 gr fmj i havent saw any heavy bullets anywhere i been to 4 different gun stores and they had nothing only walmart and dicks has the 55 gr UMC and Wolf ammo if i see the heavy bullets i will buy a box i heard they are very expensive and wont be able to shoot many of those at the range

(Montgomery County)

Nah, I think the 11.5" / 5.5" guns look cool---but they do loose their effectiveness.

It is true that the 75g tap ammo is around a $1+ per round. I have in the past seen it at places like Cabelas. You can order it on line too but I wouldn't bother with that to just try a box out.

So, like I said, I’d only buy 1 box to try---then if they work out ok buy a few more and load them in your shtf mags.

For just general plinking, that wolf and umc ammo will be fine. hell, it will be ok for shtf too but not as good as the tap. I wouldn't want to get shot with any bullet. But the tap will be more effective.

(Northumberland County)

Cool Re: Bushmaster xm15 with 11.5 inch barrel and 5.5 inch flash hider

thanks for the info.. when i find some heavier bullets i will do some (penetration testing) which i did alot with my riger ranch rifle before i traded it in it busted thru thick plates of steel and busted up cinder blocks like they were made of sand out to 50 yards i am hoping my Bushmaster performs as well as my Ruger did reason i traded in the Ruger cuz it wasnt very accurate when the barrel heated up so i did some research on Bushmaster they are accurate but i couldnt find any for sale then i found the one i have now ther 11.5 incher i got it brand new so that swhy it took me a long time to find one..... i will put the posts up on how the bushy performs if anyone already has the information on its penetration let me know and help save my bullets !lol

(Montgomery County)

Just to clarify, it isn't penetration you are looking for---it is fragmentation.

A 55g bullet out of a short barrel will still penetrate fine. But, what makes the 5.56 bullet so good is it's fragmentation---the bullet coming apart into many pieces and tumbling inside the body that makes it a good "killer / stopper". When the bullet doesn't fragment, it just shoots through and through without as much damage to the organs.

(Northumberland County)

i see....maybe i should start doing tests for fragmentation ..... do you have any suggestions on what to use like gallon jugs filled with water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast