Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default 9X19 thru a 16" Barrel powder sugestions

I don't even have the rifle finished yet but I am gearing up for reloading the cartridges.

Any suggestions for a powder that will work best with a 16" barrel in a handgun cartridge.

Until I join an outdoor range or gun club I am required to limit the velocity to 2000 fps.

Thanks for any input,
    Jim
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: 9X19 thru a 16" Barrel powder sugestions

I'm loading 124gr FMJ over 7.9gr of AA#7. This is 9mm carbine ONLY ammo. It is just below max for the rifle data, but just above max for pistol data I am using.

You can really use any of the following:
    - AA#5
    - Unique
    - HS-6
    - AA#7
    - Blue Dot

If using a faster powder like 231 or Red Dot, you most likely want to be near pistol max to be sure there is enough umpf behind the bullet - so the bullet clears the barrel.

If the charge is above pistol max, MAKE SURE YOU LABEL THIS AMMO AS CARBINE ONLY!!!!!!
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

I've used WW231 for 9mm in a Ruger PC9, pretty sure barrel was 16".
    Velocity in 5" handgun is 1025fps (5 shot avg) and 1125 in the PC9.
    My load is not a maximum load. 4.0gr. I believe with a 125gr hardcast bullet.

(Susquehanna County)

If you reload for a 9mm pistol also do not make "carbine only 9mm. I don't care how careful you are they will get mixed up and it does complicate your logistics.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

I had a load I thought I was happy with until I fired some +P rounds through the carbine. I thought I would try to reach the same velocity. I a did and I am making some nice patterns (my skill is not up to groups) at 100 yards. At .2 over pistol max, I am flattening the primers. At .4 over max, lets just say I won't load them again. The only signs I have of over pressure is the flattened primers and the crack of the bullet staying supersonic to 200 yrds.

I could not find any of the powders listed in this thread so I used a burn rate chart to come up with something comparable and meters well.

I am .2 grns over max for pistol with a short OAL. I will post the load data for some of the vast knowledge on this board. Please if you want to copy it please work up to it. I sure as hell am making sure these load do not find their way into a pistol. I am sure that if the brass was not fully supported by the barrel, it would be a problem.

124 grn hollow point
    5.5 grns Winchester Super Field
    Federal small pistol primer.
    1.125 OAL

Will rifle primers reduce the chance of a burn through? How much should I back down the powder changing to rifle primers?
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do not know what rifle or load data that you are using but Sierra lists 1300 fps. as the fastest recommended load. This is from their rifle load section and uses Blue Dot.

Sierra shows lighter not heavier loads for the carbines probably due to better powder burn.
    Last edited by phill; September 28th, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Until I join an outdoor range or gun club I am required to limit the velocity to 2000 fps.

I wouldn't worry about hitting 2000 fps unless you were using a 60 grain bullet.

The fact is you only pick up 100-150 fps in a 16" barrel vs a handgun (4 or 5"). With some loads and with lighter bullets you may get 200fps or a bit more. Keep in mind that the carbine is designed for "9mm parabellum" pressures not something one can cook up at the loading bench. The only reason reloading manuals have rifle sections for handgun cartridges is the popularity of pistol calber carbines (9mm, 357, 44 mag,etc). If you compare the loads you won't see many charges that are more than the pistol section.

I use Unique for full service loads in 9mm and that would be my suggestion,

You can see what happens in different barrel lengths go going here:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html

ps There is no sense in trying to turn your 9mm carbine into a Rhino roller and maybe a grenade.
    Last edited by GRIZ; September 28th, 2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add ps

(Bucks County)

i use the same load for pistols and my hipoint carbine. 5.5g unique with 115 plated bullets. they get 3-4" groups at 100 with the carbine and a reddot and its safe thru my wifes pps, my tec9, and walther p99

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1911 View Post
    I don't even have the rifle finished yet but I am gearing up for reloading the cartridges.

Any suggestions for a powder that will work best with a 16" barrel in a handgun cartridge.

Thanks for any input,
    Jim
    Jim,

Lyman has the answer. In fact, Lyman has nearly all your answers.

In the 49th edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook, the answers may begin to approach your questions. Pages 270 & 271 list "Rifle Data" for 9 x 19 cartridges, as fired in the Ruger PC-9 carbine, bbl length 16-1/4".

Power Pistol seems to be the favored powder, but 231, N340, Blue Dot, AA#5, AA#7, Titegroup, Unique and Universal all are listed in loads of varying weight bullets.

Interestingly, the caveat in bold print says "Do not go below listed starting charges".

You simply won't find a better reloading manual than the Lyman 49th. (Until they come out with #50, that is). However, it is always in your best interest to maintain a library of reloading manuals - first from sources who do not produce components, then from sources who do (powder, bullets, etc).

Good reading, happy shooting.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    ............................ the caveat in bold print says "Do not go below listed starting charges".................................................. ...............

Flash
    Flash are you reading my mind? One of the loads I was looking at playing with is my subsonic load. I was thinking about using the minimum about of Tightgoup to see how quiet I could make the carbine without a silencer.

I think I found the load I am going to get the most accuracy with and it is within SAAMI specs. I had it at a 50 yrd range today and it held a tighter group than anything I have fired out of it to date even with inconsistent OALs.

a 90 grn Hornaday XTP over 6.3 grains of Longshot.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast