Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

James,

as for your questions on the 5.7, I like it alot, however, it wouldn't be my first choice for my first handgun.
    It shoots like a 22, and holds 21rds, but for me its a warm weather carry piece, as its super light.
    Also, the controls take some getting used to, and and Dan noted, the ammo is pricey.
    Call it a hepped up 22 magnum pistol, especially with the older ammo thats no longer available, but you have a 30gr pill that does 2200FPS, so it moves!
    Its snappy, and fast shooting, and accurate, but not really for a newbie.

Also, unless you are familiar with the single action firearms, I'd also not recommend a 1911 for a first handgun. Try to find someone who has one and SHOOT it first to see if you like it before you buy.
    If you DO buy, save a bit and get something good, dont get the imported RIAs or such, I'd say an older Colt, or maybe a Springfield, or a SW, etc.
    Chances are, you'll want to do some customizing fairly shortly, so get something thats worth building on.
    I have dumped all my 1911s except my S&W 1911, it's the best I've found over the years, most accurate and tight out of the box, no mods needed on it. I've had Springfields, colts, Kimbers, Norincos(those are decent guns) etc etc, the SW has been the finest so far.
    I carry a 1911, or a HK 45 compact, or a revolver, etc. depending what strikes my fancy that day, and usually a pocket gun as backup too.

For a first handgun I recommend a 4 or 6" Barreled 357 mag by a good maker.
    Smith and wesson first, Ruger second.
    the ruger is the tougher overall gun, but the SW will be slightly more accurate, and have a better and smoother action.
    4" is small enough to carry, and long enuff to have fun at the range.
    6" is for range only or hunting, a little too big for carry.
    the 357 is a good choice in that its a good accurate cartridge, easy to handload, is found just about any store that sells ammo.
    Plus, if you are recoil sensitive, you can chamber and shoot 38 special ammo for a cheaper and less wild recoil ride. Especially good choice if you want to teach your current girl to shoot without scaring her off guns.

if you want a good first gun in a less powerful, and cheaper cartridge, get a "duty sized" 9mm auto.
    Say a Ruger p89, which are cheap and sturdy, if not award winning in looks, or a S&W 5906 series gun....or best for a new shooter i think, a Beretta 92FS 9mm.
    15rd capacity, easy recoil, decent trigger, lots of accessories around to play with too, and dirt cheap common magazines.
    Pls it gobbles and shoots about any 9mm loading out there, hollowpoint or not.

lots of guns out there, don't waste your time with the cheap stuff, save a bit, even tho it may take longer.
    You'll be better off in the end with a quality firearm that has better resale value if you discover you dont like it.

I've been shooting since I was about 5yrs old, the only gun that I didn't buy in that pic collection was the older Spanish SXS 12 ga, everything else I got myself since 1992 or so.

the MG34 isn't mine unfortunately, its a buddys gun, and he has it mounted on the jeep via an old tripod head mounted to the rollbar.
    the furry "ballsack" hanging below is a brass collector he made out of furred steerhide:-)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lehigh County)

Wink

great....now I have yet another "envy"! Seriously though, how do you like the Serbu? I heard they kick like a mule with his sack in a mouse trap.

(Bucks County)

Jaybell,

After reading your reply to the perspective first time gun owner(JB), I have to say there was some very good points for any newb to consider. Ironically, my first handgun was a Ruger 9mm. Shortly after that, an S&W 686(357mag). That 686 is still one of my favorite guns to shoot, even after almost 15 years....
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Montgomery County)

Starblazer:
    thanks, i've been sh,ooting for a long time, and wish someone had been around to point that stuff out to me wayyyy back. since then i've formed some opinions about stuff:-)

Mickey 223:

serbu kicks pretty good, but recently i put a Knoxx breachers grip on it.
    its spring loaded, and said to remove 90% of the harsh recoil.
    Havent shot it since, but will do so soon.
    Even then, just let the recoil ride, instead of trying to hold it rock steady, lessens the recoil a lot.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell
    James,

as for your questions on the 5.7, I like it alot, however, it wouldn't be my first choice for my first handgun.
    It shoots like a 22, and holds 21rds, but for me its a warm weather carry piece, as its super light.
    Also, the controls take some getting used to, and and Dan noted, the ammo is pricey.
    Call it a hepped up 22 magnum pistol, especially with the older ammo thats no longer available, but you have a 30gr pill that does 2200FPS, so it moves!
    Its snappy, and fast shooting, and accurate, but not really for a newbie.

Also, unless you are familiar with the single action firearms, I'd also not recommend a 1911 for a first handgun. Try to find someone who has one and SHOOT it first to see if you like it before you buy.
    If you DO buy, save a bit and get something good, dont get the imported RIAs or such, I'd say an older Colt, or maybe a Springfield, or a SW, etc.
    Chances are, you'll want to do some customizing fairly shortly, so get something thats worth building on.
    I have dumped all my 1911s except my S&W 1911, it's the best I've found over the years, most accurate and tight out of the box, no mods needed on it. I've had Springfields, colts, Kimbers, Norincos(those are decent guns) etc etc, the SW has been the finest so far.
    I carry a 1911, or a HK 45 compact, or a revolver, etc. depending what strikes my fancy that day, and usually a pocket gun as backup too.

For a first handgun I recommend a 4 or 6" Barreled 357 mag by a good maker.
    Smith and wesson first, Ruger second.
    the ruger is the tougher overall gun, but the SW will be slightly more accurate, and have a better and smoother action.
    4" is small enough to carry, and long enuff to have fun at the range.
    6" is for range only or hunting, a little too big for carry.
    the 357 is a good choice in that its a good accurate cartridge, easy to handload, is found just about any store that sells ammo.
    Plus, if you are recoil sensitive, you can chamber and shoot 38 special ammo for a cheaper and less wild recoil ride. Especially good choice if you want to teach your current girl to shoot without scaring her off guns.

if you want a good first gun in a less powerful, and cheaper cartridge, get a "duty sized" 9mm auto.
    Say a Ruger p89, which are cheap and sturdy, if not award winning in looks, or a S&W 5906 series gun....or best for a new shooter i think, a Beretta 92FS 9mm.
    15rd capacity, easy recoil, decent trigger, lots of accessories around to play with too, and dirt cheap common magazines.
    Pls it gobbles and shoots about any 9mm loading out there, hollowpoint or not.

lots of guns out there, don't waste your time with the cheap stuff, save a bit, even tho it may take longer.
    You'll be better off in the end with a quality firearm that has better resale value if you discover you dont like it.

I've been shooting since I was about 5yrs old, the only gun that I didn't buy in that pic collection was the older Spanish SXS 12 ga, everything else I got myself since 1992 or so.

the MG34 isn't mine unfortunately, its a buddys gun, and he has it mounted on the jeep via an old tripod head mounted to the rollbar.
    the furry "ballsack" hanging below is a brass collector he made out of furred steerhide:-)
    Wow, thanks for all the info. I was leaning towards the SA 1911 as a first gun but now i don't know. Whats the difference between a double action and a single action? I've only ever shot rifles and shotguns because of my friends and mine age. Though my friend recently purchased a Sig 9mm (i think its a 226 but i'm not sure) and i'll go shooting that soon.

(Erie County)

double action = just pull the trigger, and the hammer will cock itself.
    single action = you need to manually pull the hammer back to cock the gun, the trigger releases it.

just about all automatic pistols (like the 1911) are double action.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by doug
    double action = just pull the trigger, and the hammer will cock itself.
    single action = you need to manually pull the hammer back to cock the gun, the trigger releases it.

just about all automatic pistols (like the 1911) are double action.
    1911's are Single-Action Only.

Most modern handguns are Double Action on the first pull, but then the hammer is cocked by the rearward action of the slide and become Single-Action from then on out. Double-Action Only automatics are generally made at the request of police departments.
    Last edited by danp; March 31st, 2006 at 02:52 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Erie County)

aha, I assumed 1911's were DA. All my automatic pistols are DA.. seemed to be the norm.

(Philadelphia County)

Para-Ordnance makes a nice double action 1911 line (LDA). You can also obtain one in a high capacity with a meatier grip. They are very well made and easy to operate. Overall, a quality-made pistol which will keep its value. If you plan an CCW, they also come in a compact version which accepts the inexpensive standard mags.

Default Re: Most of the collection...

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    lot of different stuff, been collecting for a while,
    I had something similar, it was a flare gun but the spring got separated years ago. Let me know if you ever want to sell it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast