Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Which club/range to join?

I've been a member of the Logan's Ferry Sportsman's Club for a long time. Pretty decent place really with lots of ranges to use, and indoor pistol range open damn near 24/7 for club members to use, and the best part; there is hardly ever anyone there.

I lapsed in my membership as I was away and failed to notice the reminder and since I've been away I haven't had any opportunity to shoot at home. I'll be coming home this week and thought about range time and it occurred to me that the Pitcairn Monroeville Club is about the same distance away.

So anyone familiar with both ranges? Which one would you choose?

One nice thing about LFSC is there is almost never anyone there (except in the few weeks leading up to hunting season) so doing training, moving outside the benches, and basically doing things outside of the square range can be accomplished because there is no one else to worry about 90% of the time.

I would hate to go somewhere else and be plagued by range nazis constantly.
    Run

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Which club/range to join?

I don't know much about lfsc. But I know a little about pmsc. Check out www.pmsconline.com we have 14 IPSC bays where you can move and shoot. Some of them are like 70yds long. You couldn't do that on our rifle range. It is 300yds. We also have dedicated plate racks on another pistol range and gongs on the rifle. Our indoor pistol range is open to members only and from 9am to 9pm. If you have any other questions please ask.

(Allegheny County)

I'm also looking for a range near Pittsburgh but one that goes past 100 yards. It's funny I'm actually thinking about joining Logan's Ferry Sportsman's Club, so if you find something better let me know (I'll do the same).

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by th1alb View Post
    I'm also looking for a range near Pittsburgh but one that goes past 100 yards. It's funny I'm actually thinking about joining Logan's Ferry Sportsman's Club, so if you find something better let me know (I'll do the same).
    LFSC is a nice range and there are several rifle ranges there. A regular 100 yard range and what they call the "High Power" range which is 100, 200, and 300 yards. You can also shoot rifle at 25 and 50 yard ranges but these are shared pistol/shotgun ranges as well.

They have Cowboy Action shooting and steel plate shoots but I'm not around enough to know if they do any IDPA stuff. The indoor range is decent.

What I was looking at was the PMSC is about equidistant for me to get to and many members here use it. I figured that it might be better than just going alone all the time.
    Run

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by wgjhsaft View Post
    I figured that it might be better than just going alone all the time.

I'm there alot. Thursday nights we have practical pistol practice-we set up stages. Weekends we shoot rifle, mostly for CMP practice, that's position rifle shooting. Friday nights we do 22 pistol bulleye and then watch war movies. Although soon I think we'll be doing 22 rifle since it's getting warmer. Some guys shoot the 22 pistol on Mondays.

Our rifle range is similar to lfsc. Although I've been working on getting a 600yd range so I can practice CMP shooting at that distance. Besides the pafoa shoots on the second sunday of the month, we have a club forum, where we organize different group shoots as well.

(Allegheny County)

Do you have to attend one of the meetings to become a member or can I just fill out the online application and send it in with a check and picture?
    Run

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by wgjhsaft View Post
    Do you have to attend one of the meetings to become a member or can I just fill out the online application and send it in with a check and picture?

You don't have to attend any of the meetings. You can do what you said, and you'll be sent your membership card. After that, when you go the club, see the caretaker in the white building behind the hall (first concrete blk bldg) and pay $10 for an electronic key card. You'll need your membership card to get this. Then on Thursdays around 5:30pm you take an oreintation, and can get access to use the indoor range. Also will need to show your membership card.

(Allegheny County)

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to join a club, be more involved, meet new friends etc.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I'd love to join a club, be more involved, meet new friends etc.
    The more, the merrier.