Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Securing a pistol at the Allegheny City/County Building

Hi...

Tomorrow I will be conducting business here in Pittsburgh PA at the Allegheny City/County Building. What makes this such an auspicious occasion for me is that I will for the very first time be going into the building while open carrying.

Since the courts are in the same building I understand that I must have my weapon(s) secured. I believe I must enter through the Ross Street entrance and notify security (receptionist or whomever) that I wish to have my fire arm secured (and receive a receipt for it) so that I may legally proceed through the building. It's been some time since I've been there so I can't recall exactly how things are set up.

I understand statute 913 regarding weapons in a court facility but I am still somewhat apprehensive and would like suggestions and/or commentary based on your own empirical observations/experiences when you have done business at the Allegheny City/County Building while either CC'ing or OC'ing.

Thank you.

§ 913. Possession of firearm or other dangerous weapon in court facility.

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits an offense if he:
    (1). knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility; or
    (b) Grading.--
    (1). Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (3), an offense under subsection (a)(1) is a misdemeanor of the third degree.
    (2). An offense under subsection (a)(2) is a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (3). An offense under subsection (a)(1) is a summary offense if the person was carrying a firearm under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) or 6109 (relating to licenses) and failed to check the firearm under subsection (e) prior to entering the court facility.
    (d) Posting of notice.--Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility and at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a).
    (e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing the court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Securing a pistol at the Allegheny City/County Building

go in by the Sheriff's office entrance, they have lockers for you there.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    go in by the Sheriff's office entrance, they have lockers for you there.
    OK, thanks. Is that on Ross Street or on Forbes Ave?

(Allegheny County)

Ross iirc.
    MORDENTE MEUM

Ross Street is the right entrance when checking a firearm. I just had jury duty a couple weeks ago, and everything went smoothly, other than being asked numerous times if I was a cop.

You'll go up a flight of steps, through the door and security is right there. Just declare that you'll need to check your firearm and they'll tell you to go through the Sheriff's office door on your left. Pick a locker once inside and take the key, it's a pretty simple procedure.

(Allegheny County)

much better than it used to be you used to have to unholster and hand it across the desk to a deputy who would then play with it and call all the other boys over to play with it. then they would try to clear it [they would not allow you to clear it yourself because they were afraid you didn't know how to operate your own sidearm] and then play with your ammo some before tossing it into a desk drawer.

I once got the wrong mag back i had a smith 39 and i got back a P-38 mag! when i complained they found my mag in another desk [i think a deputy was gonna keep it] and they then refused to take back the half empty P-38 mag. i ended up with an extra! after the first time i went through this i would hand off my weapon and flee the office before they had an ND.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: Securing a pistol at the Allegheny City/County Building

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    . . . after the first time i went through this i would hand off my weapon and flee the office before they had an ND.
    Thanks for a laugh!

(Allegheny County)

glad you enjoyed it
    MORDENTE MEUM