Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Firearm shipping?

I am selling a pistol and can I ship it non-FFL to a FFL dealer in another state using UPS?
    Or do I need to ship FFL to FFL?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Firearm shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    I am selling a pistol and can I ship it non-FFL to a FFL dealer in another state using UPS?
    Or do I need to ship FFL to FFL?
    You may ship it yourself to the FFL, provided that he accepts shipments from persons who are not FFLs. You must still comply with all requirements for shipping a handgun (FexEx, next day, unloaded, cased, etc.). UPS (the last time I checked) does not accept firearms for shipment from non-FFLs. Thus, you need to use FedEx.

While it is perfectly legal, I would advise against self-shipment. You're selling the gun -- and you absolutely want a record prepared by an FFL that the firearm left your possession, entered its possession, and was sent to an FFL. Once it is in the hands of your FFL, you're (almost completely) relieved of any potential liability that could result from a lost, stolen, or improperly transferred firearm. I know a lot of folks dispute the likelihood of any of this happening. Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle of dealing with it, even if you haven't done anything wrong. The best way to avoid the possibility is by using your FFL to send it out.

It also is cheaper if not the same price. Overnight FedEx will cost you about $40. My FFL will ship for $30. And it saves me the trouble of running to the special FedEx depot to drop it off (as most FedEx locations don't accept firearms).
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Firearm shipping?

Rule10b5 thanks for the great reply.
    I am taking your advice and will only ship FFL to FFL and will let them handle all the proper paper work and details, like you said it is not worth it.