Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Pheonix Arms HP22

Ive seen some of you here have one of these little deals, and over most of the infamous cheap guns out there, these seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Where is a good place to find one for the sub $100 they are listed at? Even gunbroker shows the base models for $130.

Something about a sub $100 pistol just grabs my interest. Plus, the wife was thinking of carrying one, since it would be something small, have more than 1 shot, that she can carry and operate (my LCP is not kind on her hands, and her 38spl isnt all that great for her to carry in the summertime concealed. ). I figure a gun is better than no gun.

Still, I mainly want a plinker pistol, and they just look / sound interesting.

What do you guys think overall?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Pheonix Arms HP22

I have one for years now. I also have the target barrel for it. I even sent it back for a overhaul. It shoots pretty good for a plinker and a short barrel. I can't even say how many round I have through it. Randy

Azzy,

Just like ZumanHD I've had one for years and also have the spare target bbl for it. It's been a Great little gun and never had any issues with it.

You might want to start cruising the Gun Show isles, I think there's a York Fairgrounds show coming up May 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

I'm not even sure they still make these things, But maybe try a few Gun shops also or find someone willing to part with theirs.

Good Luck, It will be money well spent IMHO

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Montgomery County)

What do you guys think overall?
    I guess it beats a pointy stick, barely. I'd suggest saving a little more and getting something of higher quality. If you want a cheap gun for SD, at least get a High Point 9mm. You will not pay much more, and you will have a gun that will do a satisfactory job of protecting life. 22 is a sub-par round for SD at best.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Washington County)

Did you gloss over the whole part with her not being able to pull back the slide on a smaller semi, in a smaller caliber, so you are suggesting a larger caliber. I'm confused on the reasoning behind that.

You could of at least suggested something like a derringer.

She has a 38 that she carries, with +p ammo, packs a bit more punch than the average 9mm (and being 9mm in size too), but that isnt the case here. Besides, that is it's secondary function.

(I dont mean to sound rude, that is not my intent, but your post is frustrating)
    Last edited by Azzy; April 14th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Did you gloss over the whole part with her not being able to pull back the slide on a smaller semi, in a smaller caliber, so you are suggesting a larger caliber. I'm confused on the reasoning behind that.

You could of at least suggested something like a derringer.

She has a 38 that she carries, with +p ammo, packs a bit more punch than the average 9mm (and being 9mm in size too), but that isnt the case here. Besides, that is it's secondary function.

(I dont mean to sound rude, that is not my intent, but your post is frustrating)
    Ah, yea you do sound rude, and confused. Where did you mention the specifics of your wife having trouble being able to pull back the slide on anything?

In addition, what makes you believe that a +P 38 "packs a bit more puch" than the average 9mm?

(Washington County)

... that she can carry and operate (my LCP is not kind on her hands, and her 38spl isnt all that great for her to carry in the summertime concealed. ).
    My apologies, thought I made it more clear. She cant grab and operate any of my semi's, and its not so much a matter of hitting the gym, its a matter of a health issue. Plus, she doesn't like shooting the 38 all that much, which isnt good for practice, because she can only go for 20 or so rounds before it starts hurting her hands. She isnt a bad shot, but there is only so much to do when you dont like shooting a pistol too much. Same goes for my LCP and CZ, she doesnt like them. Now any of the 22's, she does like those.

As for the more punch part, same size bullet (same near) and 10mm longer case on the 38 special. That allows for a bit more powder, and higher pressures, correct?

I was going to start a thread asking all this stuff, but I guess this turned into that. I was mainly asking for what the first few guys posted, and maybe someone knowing one for sale or having one for sale that my searches did not find.

(Montgomery County)

My apologies, thought I made it more clear. She cant grab and operate any of my semi's, and its not so much a matter of hitting the gym, its a matter of a health issue. Plus, she doesn't like shooting the 38 all that much, which isnt good for practice, because she can only go for 20 or so rounds before it starts hurting her hands. She isnt a bad shot, but there is only so much to do when you dont like shooting a pistol too much. Same goes for my LCP and CZ, she doesnt like them. Now any of the 22's, she does like those.

As for the more punch part, same size bullet (same near) and 10mm longer case on the 38 special. That allows for a bit more powder, and higher pressures, correct?

I was going to start a thread asking all this stuff, but I guess this turned into that. I was mainly asking for what the first few guys posted, and maybe someone knowing one for sale or having one for sale that my searches did not find.
    Ok, now that you clarified, I understand. Well, a good hit from a 22 is always better than a miss from anything that might be more effective. Sorry, I can't help with a small semi-auto 22 suggestion. It's a shame that the snubby is too big for her, otherwise I would suggest a nice j frame in .22.

And no, case capacity does not equal more power. The .38 special is designed to operate a low pressures, even the +P 38's are far below the standard 9mm pressure. Check out the ballistics at any of the major ammo makers to see the velocity difference. And btw, I like .38's a lot +P or not.

(Luzerne County)

I have two of these. One with the target barrel. I don't know that you could find one for less than $100.00.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

I've had one of these pistols for years, though I couldn't tell you the last time I shot it. I think it's a total POS. Had to send mine back twice when the hammer broke while firing (bullet went downrange, hammer hit me in the face). It's unreliable with any brand of ammo.

If you're really intent on getting a 22 for carry, I'd advise saving up a little more and buy one of the Beretta or Taurus small-frame pistols. If you can afford it, the Beretta Tomcat is available in .32 Auto, which would be an even better choice for SD than the .22, and it's the same size as the .22 version.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast