Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hunting Stores In Philly

G day im coming to America in August to visit family. Ill be staying in Ardmore near Philly. Would anybody be able to help me out with hunting/gun shops in the area. Anything in say a half hour radius.

I'm thinking of going to Cabela's in Hamburg, it's about one and a half hour drive. Is it worth the drive do they have a broad range of goods.

Cheers guys.....

(Berks County)

Default Re: Hunting Stores In Philly

Howdy!

Cabelas IS certainly worth the drive! You will never see so many products under one roof....anywhere! They probably have 1000 sq ft dedicated to just bow hunting (and an indoor archery range). And a HUGE selection of new/used guns. 1/2 of the upstairs is also dedicated to camping/hiking/climbing. In short, it''ll be a near orgasm to you if you're into all of that stuff! I live only about 20 minutes away & get there at LEAST 2x per month....and never have been bored!

Also, don't forget to check out the "bargin cave" in the back on the 1st floor. Tons of discontinued/returned merchandise at usually screaming good deals!

Cabelas is super easy to find as well....

Hope you have a great time during your stay!

(Philadelphia County)

As long as you are here, try out one of the local ranges. Plenty of ranges in Philly (i.e. http://www.philadelphiaarcheryandgunclub.com/ ) will rent you the regular stuff by the hour (Glocks, etc.). Classic Pistol is a half hour drive from Philly and will rent out full-auto submachine guns and stuff for on-site use - http://www.classicpistol.com/rentals...rm_rentals.asp

Most places that rent guns for on-site use restrict your to ammo purchased at the store that tends to be a bit overpriced (but, for a one shot deal, not much of an issue).

Thanks guys ill get to Cabelas for sure. My sister in law who we are visiting has a good friend who is ex marine. Im told he has loads of guns and cant wait to get me to a shooting range in Philly.

What sort of prices can i expect if i were to rent out a pistol and say 50 rounds.

(Philadelphia County)

If the friend of your sister-in-law goes with you and lets you use his guns, there would be no rental fee. If he is a member somewhere, the range fee for a guest would be little/nothing. FYI - rentals are generally only available at indoor ranges. Some indoor ranges also allow rifles (i.e. semi AK47s, AR-15s, FALs, etc.) but generally do not rent them out.

Not knowing where you will go and if you assume you are going alone to an indoor range and using a handgun of some type or other, probably about $15 US for the range fee, perhaps another $15 for the gun, and $15 for the ammo/target (presuming you choose something cheapish, such as 9mm or .38 - "range" ammo might be a bit more, depending on what caliber stuff you want to use).

FYI - US ammo prices have gone up a bunch with the fear of the Obamination - this is what ammo (not at a range) currently goes for in the US - http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php

Mate tell me about it, i went to the gun shop today and bought some winchester subsonics and powerpoints. The price had jumped 20% powerpoints went from $50au to $60au (per brick). The subsonics were $56au they used to be $45au. I asked the gun dealer who is a friend of mine and he said the cause was of huge price hikes in the US.

I also bought some 100gr hornady interlock for my .243, they used to be $32 now they are $40.

For a lot of people it's becoming to hard to finance there hobby, quite sad actually.