Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default "I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-crime"

Hello all, hope everyone is well. I'm posting from Vermont, but I think you'll still be interested in this. I met up with an old friend of mine today, and we went back to his apartment to chat. We reminisced, and spoke about past hunting trips, and the stupid stuff we did together as kids and caught up on some lost time. About a half hour into the conversation, his roommate came home. I stood up and introduced myself, and she introduced herself as Sarah. Now, apparently, I was printing pretty badly, because she started this conversation:

(It worked out nicely that I had my tape recorder. I turned it on so I could remember the whole conversation. Obviously, I've omitted annoying things like "um's" and repeated statements.)

Sarah: Wow, your cell phone is huge! I thought it was a gun for a second.
    Me: Hehe... Funny you should say that... It is a gun.
    Sarah: Hahaha... I like you already... But seriously, what kind of phone is it?
    Me: I wasn't joking. [I lift my shirt to show her my 1911.]
    Sarah: Umm... That's not real, is it? [Her eyes were practically bugging out]
    Me: As real as you and me. Why, are you anti-gun?
    Sarah: I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-crime. I hunted with my father. But as far as I'm concerned, handguns have no place in that; They only cause trouble.
    Me: You've got nothing to worry about from me... Unless you try to hurt me.
    Sarah: I don't like any guns unless they're for hunting. All this "self-defense" crap is just a bullshit excuse to get a gun. That's what the police are for--to protect us, so we don't need guns.
    Tom (the friend I was visiting): I'm gonna go take a shower and leave you to your argument.
    Me: People use guns to defend themselves on a regular basis. Police take time to get to a call--that's time that you probably don't have, depending on the situation. You'd rather leave the scene in a body bag?
    Sarah: Over 10,000 people are murdered with guns in this country every year. You'd rather continue that trend for the sake of the 10 or 20 who claim that it was "self defense?"
    Me: Once again, you need to do research before making claims. Yes, thousands of people are murdered every year with guns. But armed citizens use guns to defend themselves or to deter crimes between 1 and 2 million times a year. Out of all of these situations, only about eight percent of them end in a gunshot wound. Most of the time, all you have to do is draw your weapon, and the bad guy changes his mind.

Unfortunately, my tape recorder died right there . Apparently, when the box says, "batteries included," it really means, "We have included two (2) shitty ass batteries that will only last a couple of minutes."

But anyways, after this point, I went on to explain that more and more states are noticing that areas with lower gun control experience lower crime rates, and about what the purpose 2nd Amendment is, yadda yadda. You've all heard these speeches before, so I won't bore you. But after the conversation, I had her log onto the computer and look up history and statistics to support my claims. I could tell she realized what the truth was, but, like most people, I think she was too proud to admit being wrong after digging her argument so deep, so I let it go.

All in all, I feel good about it. I think she realized that it's a much more complicated issue than she thought before, and I don't doubt that she'll keep researching it; she seemed very intrigued on the computer today.

Default Re: "I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-crime"

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    Apparently, when the box says, "batteries included," it really means, "We have included two (2) shitty ass batteries that will only last a couple of minutes."
    ummm DUH! lol ..... i met my gf in an encounter like this, she was "anti crime and anti gun" but after meeting her a couple times we started to kick it off

(Jefferson County)

Its a shame there are laws against slapping the stupid out of people..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Cool Re: "I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-crime"

You actually tried to talk logic and common sense with a female?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Yes, and she seemed to "get it."

(Montgomery County)

If you haven't already, have her google these:
    DeShaney v. Winnebago County
    Bowers v. DeVito
    Warren v. District of Columbia
    Castle Rock v. Gonzales
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

Here ya go. May not make her change her stance, but they might make her think a little.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    Yes, and she seemed to "get it."
    As snakeman said, she seemed to understand, even if pride will not allow her to admit that.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Generalize and stereotype much?
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    Generalize and stereotype much?
    lol.. marry a woman sometime and you'll see.

just kidding..

(yes, I know you're a woman)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast