Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Python question

(Lancaster County)

Default Python question

Last time I was at my local gun shop......the kind where everyone knows everyone.......I told the owner how I made up my mind to change my collection over to include more quality than quantity. I just wasnt shooting certain guns. An example being that I recently traded a Taurus PT1911, model 85 and a Kel-Tec PF9 for a Kimber Eclipse 1911.
    I walk into the shop today and am told that there is definately something I should see. I was led to a blued Colt Python with 4 inch barrel. Consignment price 1100 dollars. It includes the original cardboard box which looks like a shoe box with bad edges. It definately had the best trigger I have ever come across and just seems to scream quality. Possible trades for this would be any combination of cash, Ruger P89, Taurus PT99, Smith and Wesson model 325 in .45 acp, Ruger GP100 and XD40 sc. My question is for both Python owners and non owners alike. Is the gun worth the price tag? Of the guns mentioned would it be foolish to trade any of them in particular for another 357? My personal and home protection guns are firmly established and wont be affected by this potential trade. I know the store hopes I bring him things for trade because in our area they will almost definately sell three guns at the lower price level before they sell one a few tiers up. Thank you in advance, Brian
    Last edited by bripro; April 11th, 2009 at 04:48 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Python question

Don't have much time now, but this may help.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=126107532

Notice: This auction did not include a box and a 95% Python is A LOT different than a 99% one. So depending upon condition, I believe it is on the lower side of a fair price.

Nate

(Chester County)

Pythons are among the finest revolvers ever made. Their triggers and accuracy are legendary and it is worth trading for.

The bluing is also some of the finest you will see on a gun.

Here is my 6" built in 1970...

(Chester County)

I personally think that Ruger gp 100 is all you need as far as having a revolver probably just as good as the colt python which I think is priced kinda high your paying more for the name. I myself have a SW 686 4 " bbl and think that's the best 357 mag ever,I got it at a gun show used for $400 had some problems with the timing sent it to Smith and Wesson and fixed like newfor $90 and has life time warrenty on their work. SO figure into it howColt's customer service is. but thats my opinion If you really want a colt see if you can negotiate a better price

(Jefferson County)

Anything in the $1000-1200 range is a good price for a working Python that is in good shape. ...considering Pythons are going as high as $2000-2500 these days.

In revolvers, I shoot a 686, mod 29, mod 66 and python. There is definetly a difference between the S&Ws and the Python. The S&Ws are very good shooting guns but the Python is a sweet shooter. The finish, trigger, fit and accurcy on the Python is superior.

(Lancaster County)

Here is what my first offer as far as trades will be. Ruger P89 with 2 extra 15 round mags and one 33 round, Taurus model 66 4 inch 7 shot 357, and Springfield XD40 sc with a few extras. Ill see how close that gets me to the 1100 dollar price tag. If necessary I might throw in a Taurus 85 or Taurus 99. Im going with the theory that those are just guns, while the Python is a work of art to be kept in the family and passed on. Also as I get older I seem to let fate play more of a role. I cant get to the shop until the end of next week and Im not going to call and have it held. If its there its there. If not........oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygunguy View Post
    I personally think that Ruger gp 100 is all you need as far as having a revolver probably just as good as the colt python which I think is priced kinda high your paying more for the name. I myself have a SW 686 4 " bbl and think that's the best 357 mag ever,I got it at a gun show used for $400 had some problems with the timing sent it to Smith and Wesson and fixed like newfor $90 and has life time warrenty on their work. SO figure into it howColt's customer service is. but thats my opinion If you really want a colt see if you can negotiate a better price
    Comparing a Pre Strike Colt Python to any S&W or Ruger... Is like comparing a swiming pool to a bath tub.

As good as I can make a Smith shoot by polishing it, the newer Colts already beat it... The Pre strike models will never drop in price.

So lets see here, Buy a new Colt, put $2000 of jeweling on it, accurize it, then you can possibly say you have a pre strike Colt.

Any colt Pre strike (1986) is worth double and tiple a new Colt.
    The strike lasted 4 years, in an attempt to regain their workers Colt settled with the UAW and decided to stop polishing and timing their guns to the higher standards and became as "normal" as the S&W or Rugers of the time.

Personaly, I would buy a 1986 or less Colt for that price if i had the chance and the cash on hand... Mind you, the way I wind up buying guns, is generally when people do not know their value and sell them way under price.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Cumberland County)

but if you want to sell your xd40sc, PM me and let me know. I know that they aren't going to give you a lot for it in trade, so maybe we can help each other out.

Anyway, my dad has a Python and I LOVE IT. nicest revolver I have ever seen/shot. He has had offers at the range as high as $1650 in recent days, so I would try to negotiate a little, but def. jump on it if you can.