Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Has anyone went to a Space Shuttle launch?

I am curious, has anyone here ever been to a space shuttle launch in person?

As a little kid, when my family went to Disney World, we had free tickets to the Space Shuttle launch, but it was delayed because of rain, and we never got to go, but we did tour around the KSC which was awesome.

In August of 2007, I again missed the Shuttle Launch by less then a day ( I was on the plane, to Orlando as the shuttle was going up) and the day after it went up I was at KSC doing a tour.

Now in August of this year, I am planning on going down to watch STS 128. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to watch these things go up in person, and now the the shuttle program is ending, it makes me want to push for my goal faster. I have a chance again at obtaining free tickets, for sure tickets for the KSC, still finding out if I can get free tickets to the actual launch.

Has anyone here been lucky enough to witness it in person? If so, how many hours early should I be? Security I know is tighter on launch days.

I plan on renting a car from Orlando Intl, stupid under 25 yr old fee , comes to 98$ total, the flight for the day before and day of the flight at 99$ plus tax, blah. Any other day they are like $49 one way plus tax haha.
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; April 13th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Has anyone went to a Space Shuttle launch?

I've seen a couple a few years ago. The one that sticks out in my mind was when I was visiting family in Daytona Beach. We got up at 4 a.m and drove down to the beach to watch a night launch. It was awesome. It looked like the sun was coming up it was so bright. And then about 90 seconds after launch, it had reached a high enough altitude that the sun was hitting it and it looked like a star moving across the sky.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIDinPhilly View Post
    I've seen a couple a few years ago. The one that sticks out in my mind was when I was visiting family in Daytona Beach. We got up at 4 a.m and drove down to the beach to watch a night launch. It was awesome. It looked like the sun was coming up it was so bright. And then about 90 seconds after launch, it had reached a high enough altitude that the sun was hitting it and it looked like a star moving across the sky.
    I can imagine. I've watched some videos online from night launches, and its just wow, thats the only way to explain it haha.

I went to a couple of them back when I lived in Florida. It was an awesome experience. The launch itself was spectacular....the sound, the vibration, the sight of it, the acceleration....but something else made more of an impact. Patriotism. As the countdown reduced the crowd began to count. Then the incredible roar, the smoke, the slow movement began. Eventually the shuttle disappeared, then the sound faded. And it was dead quite in the spectators. No one spoke. Just silence. When the spell began to lift everyone felt the same thing. We're Americans and look what we just did!! Then the whooping and hollering started. And slowly the crowd dissipated. Unlike so many other events when the people leave in a hurry, so many impatient and rude exiting to the roads, this time people let others out with a friendly wave, a happy nod to "please, you first". As a nation we sure to fight amoungst ourselves an awful lot but sometimes we find a common thread, a uniting moment that brings us together as one people. No religion, no race, no politics.....just Americans proud of what we can do. The shuttle launches are one of them. It was many years ago I went to my last launch but I highly recommend.....GO!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    I went to a couple of them back when I lived in Florida. It was an awesome experience. The launch itself was spectacular....the sound, the vibration, the sight of it, the acceleration....but something else made more of an impact. Patriotism. As the countdown reduced the crowd began to count. Then the incredible roar, the smoke, the slow movement began. Eventually the shuttle disappeared, then the sound faded. And it was dead quite in the spectators. No one spoke. Just silence. When the spell began to lift everyone felt the same thing. We're Americans and look what we just did!! Then the whooping and hollering started. And slowly the crowd dissipated. Unlike so many other events when the people leave in a hurry, so many impatient and rude exiting to the roads, this time people let others out with a friendly wave, a happy nod to "please, you first". As a nation we sure to fight amoungst ourselves an awful lot but sometimes we find a common thread, a uniting moment that brings us together as one people. No religion, no race, no politics.....just Americans proud of what we can do. The shuttle launches are one of them. It was many years ago I went to my last launch but I highly recommend.....GO!

Sounds pretty awesome! Closer to the time that STS 128 tickets go on sale, I'll be contacting a congressman again who got my free tour tickets, to find out if he can get me the launch tickets that can get me a spot out on the NASA Causeway via "launch transportation tickets". I've also signed up for the alert email, so either hopefully A I'll get a pair from the congressman, or B as soon as they go on sale i'd buy a ticket instantly (since i've been told by KSC they sell out in literally a few mins).

(Monroe County)

I've seen 3 now. We were standing by "just in case"

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

I keep meaning to go. How do you get the free tickets?

(Philadelphia County)

i have never been to a shuttle launch but i did see a rocket carrying a satellite got up from aunts yard. she live about 20 miles outside of Orlando. it was pretty cool
    ZRT-SECTOR 7

You really don't need to procure tickets.....anywhere within 10 miles of the pad will get you a fantastic seat. But go for it anyway, closer is better. Except maybe marshmellow close.

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Has anyone went to a Space Shuttle launch?

I went to a night launch some years ago. I could find out exactly if I watch the home video...But it was awesome....We didn't have tickets though...Not sure if this has something to do with new security measures or what but we parked our motorcoach along a road with many MANY other coaches. We set up on the roof with chairs and such and just waited hours then finally the night turned to DAY!!! This was sometime in the 90's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast