Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question Is open carry of rifles legals?

I'm not talking about walking down a crowded street with an AR or AK in hand but carrying a lever rifle around my property and the woods behind my property.

Would that be in violation of any laws? Would I find myself in any type of trouble? Etc.? Thanks in advance.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Is open carry of rifles legals?

I asked this question a few days ago. This was the response I got:

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yes, legally, outside of philly even without an LTCF. it would be legal in philly as well with an LTCF.

now, one must differentiate between "legal" vs. "good idea"...

the former is objective, the latter is very, very subjective.
    I'd say you'd be fine. Anyone else have any input?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    I'm not talking about walking down a crowded street with an AR or AK in hand but carrying a lever rifle around my property and the woods behind my property.

Would that be in violation of any laws? Would I find myself in any type of trouble? Etc.? Thanks in advance.
    Only thing you might get for that is the Game Commission trying to get you for hunting out of season. What are you planning on shooting?

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post

Game Commission might have an issue with it.

But if its just for coyotes attacking your animals or squirrel, ground hogs, etc shouldn't be an issue.

If you just so happen to stumble upon a man who has murder in his eyes and runs up to you with a knife and you need to shoot. Then at least you know what you will answer as to "why were you carrying your rifle around in the first place?"

(Allegheny County)

Yes it is. Other than LittleRedToyota's response I had a convo with a city cop from zone 4 who knew that it was legal too. I think many of them might.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Only thing you might get for that is the Game Commission trying to get you for hunting out of season. What are you planning on shooting?
    This happened to me a long time ago while hunting on my paps farm. I had stopped hunting and was walking back to the 4 wheeler when I saw someone standing by it. (keep in mind I had my loaded rifle over my shoulder) When I walked around the corner and saw someone there I stopped and said something like " Sir please identify yourself" It was getting dark and hard to see yet light enough not to need a flashlight.

He informed me he was a PA WCO and wanted to know what the lights were going in circles around in the field. I laughed and informed him it was a tractor mowing corn stalks. He didnt care for that and asked if my firearm was loaded. I said yes and he proceeded to write me a citation for hunting after hours even though I said, I was at the time, just carrying a loaded firearm on private property.

Long story short we went in front of the local DM and This guy got reamed up and down by the DM saying that if he didnt see me walking possessing a light source looking for game and my firearm was on my shoulder that there was nothing he could do because I was on my family's property.

The WCO also asked me something to the extent of "so in you are out in the woods at noon and you decide you're not hunting anymore then you believe you're not hunting?" I tryed my best not to laugh and said "sir that's exactly what I am saying" "I know it is not the smartest thing but if I take my orange off and don't display my license at noon, in the woods, on my family's property, I am then just carrying a loaded firearm on private property and am no longer hunting" The DM got a good chuckle out of that too.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by weavagra View Post
    This happened to me a long time ago while hunting on my paps farm. I had stopped hunting and was walking back to the 4 wheeler when I saw someone standing by it. (keep in mind I had my loaded rifle over my shoulder) When I walked around the corner and saw someone there I stopped and said something like " Sir please identify yourself" It was getting dark and hard to see yet light enough not to need a flashlight.

He informed me he was a PA WCO and wanted to know what the lights were going in circles around in the field. I laughed and informed him it was a tractor mowing corn stalks. He didnt care for that and asked if my firearm was loaded. I said yes and he proceeded to write me a citation for hunting after hours even though I said, I was at the time, just carrying a loaded firearm on private property.

Long story short we went in front of the local DM and This guy got reamed up and down by the DM saying that if he didnt see me walking possessing a light source looking for game and my firearm was on my shoulder that there was nothing he could do because I was on my family's property.

The WCO also asked me something to the extent of "so in you are out in the woods at noon and you decide you're not hunting anymore then you believe you're not hunting?" I tryed my best not to laugh and said "sir that's exactly what I am saying" "I know it is not the smartest thing but if I take my orange off and don't display my license at noon, in the woods, on my family's property, I am then just carrying a loaded firearm on private property and am no longer hunting" The DM got a good chuckle out of that too.
    This is a great story to demonstrate that gun does not always equal hunting as gun does not always equal bad guy.

For some reason antis and even fence sitters cannot grasp that concept for OC. (Some gun owners, too, I might add)
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

^make that MANY gun owners...

(Montgomery County)

That's an interesting story. What do "WCO" and "DM" stand for?

Wildlife Conservation Officer WCO

District Magistrate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast