Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Federal vs. Federal "American Eagle" 22lr ammo

Anyone know what the difference is? is AE the 'bargain' brand? Does it seem to run better or worse for you?

I have a couple of semi 22's that like the federal red box bulk stuff you used to be able to get at walmart, and all I can seem to find in bulk is American Eagle.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Federal vs. Federal "American Eagle" 22lr ammo

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Anyone know what the difference is? is AE the 'bargain' brand? Does it seem to run better or worse for you?

I have a couple of semi 22's that like the federal red box bulk stuff you used to be able to get at walmart, and all I can seem to find in bulk is American Eagle.
    i use the American Eagle in .380, 9mm, and .45ACP; i don't there's much difference between that and WWB. i've never had a misfire in a box, which is a lot more than i can say for UMC brand ammo. hell, i'd rather use Wolf than UMC.

the last time i went shooting, i used a mix of American Eagle, Wolf, and WinClean ammo, all in .45ACP. there was no discernable difference to me, except for the price; the Wolf cost me $15, the Eagle cost me $20, and the WinClean was $25, for 50 round boxes.

I feed my guns a steady diet of Federal and AE, though CCI/Speer Lawman sometimes fills in. I shoot 9mm and .22LR almost exclusively. I think AE is Federal's entry level line, whereas the Federal-branded stuff is their higher end stuff. I've put both Federal's match grade .22LR and their AE-branded Walmart Bulk Pack stuff through my rimfires. While the match grade stuff is nicer to shoot, for my purposes they're equivalent.

On the 9mm side, I shoot AE and Lawman as noted above. Both of those are good quality practice ammo, are reasonably clean, and not very snappy (all IMHO). I get them at a price that makes them competitive with WWB, so it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. I'll keep feeding my 9's AE/Speer as long as I can reasonably afford to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i use the American Eagle in .380, 9mm, and .45ACP; i don't there's much difference between that and WWB. i've never had a misfire in a box, which is a lot more than i can say for UMC brand ammo. hell, i'd rather use Wolf than UMC.

the last time i went shooting, i used a mix of American Eagle, Wolf, and WinClean ammo, all in .45ACP. there was no discernable difference to me, except for the price; the Wolf cost me $15, the Eagle cost me $20, and the WinClean was $25, for 50 round boxes.
    my gun eats up UMC...but then again, it eats anything I feed it.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    my gun eats up UMC...but then again, it eats anything I feed it.

never had a problem feeding UMC, just seems like i got at least 2 duds per box.

(Chester County)

I haven't gotten a dud centerfire UMC or WWB (nor wolf nor pmc) with my FNP...

Thanks for the info on AE... If my stash of federal dries up before this shortage is fixed, I'll try to get some AE.

American Eagle is fine ammo, and is my favorite "budget" factory ammo. It's always been more accurate and more reliable than the others, in my experience. Still nowhere near as good as loading your own, though

When comparing prices, be aware of the fact that AE .22s come 40 to a box instead of the usual 50.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

...be aware of the fact that AE .22s come 40 to a box instead of the usual 50.

Well, that is strange, because as I sit here with a bunch of boxes of American Eagle 22LR in front of me, I count 50 cartridges in each box, which all came from a 500 round brick of 10 boxes. Wazup with that?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manitouwadge View Post
    ...be aware of the fact that AE .22s come 40 to a box instead of the usual 50.

Well, that is strange, because as I sit here with a bunch of boxes of American Eagle 22LR in front of me, I count 50 cartridges in each box, which all came from a 500 round brick of 10 boxes. Wazup with that?
    I don't know exactly what you guys bought, but all the AE .22 hollow points I've seen have come packed 40 to a box, and the AE .22 solids have been packed 50 per box.

These are AE .22LR solids, packed 50 per box.