Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default AR-15: .22LR conversion kit vs. dedicated .22LR upper

I'm trying to decide between a Spike's .22LR conversion kit and a dedicated Spike's .22LR upper. I want to be able to get lots of trigger time on the AR on the cheap, and both of these would do the trick. The conversion kit is $200, and the complete upper would be over $600. What would you guys do? Anyone have any experience with one or both products? How's reliability?

(Chester County)

Default Re: AR-15: .22LR conversion kit vs. dedicated .22LR upper

The dedicated upper I have is a f'in laser (from spikes, lothar-wather barrel). The optics are tied to the upper, so no POI change. No lead fouling (no gas hole) in the gas system. The twist rate is right. It is reliable (last two trips only had one ftf in each trip (ate a brick of federal bulk each time)).

I guess if you had QR mounts for all of the optics, that part would be nullified.

Also, my 22 blaster upper is set up for cqb fun. The 5.56 upper I have is varmint style. Later I will be getting a 5.56 upper like the 22 one - but for now it's nice having a completely different setup for the 22.

(Montgomery County)

I agree with mtechnik,

go with the dedicated upper if you can swing the cost. I do not have a spikes but i do have a 5.5" upper from kuehl precision (he doesn't make them anymore though). The thing out right works. I typically only shoot mine at 25-50 yards but it groups pretty good and is a joy to shoot.

Here's an older photo of my set up. That grouping was rapid fire at 25 yards with my then 13 year old at the wheel.

(Chester County)

Also, because the barrel starts 1.5" further inside, it looks like a 14.5" barrel. And that is worth almost $200 right there.

(Chester County)

I'd say conversion kit.

I have the CMMG kit...and I love it. I use the same upper/ sights/ etc. So, your cheap training is with the same sights/ free float, etc.

From a SHTF perspective, you bring along an extra BCG and magazine, and you have a serious defensive rifle and a small game rifle without having to lug around 2 guns.

Regarding getting junk in the gas tube...just rip 2 or 3 rounds of .223 at the end of the session, and it'll be right back to normal. I blasted a good 500 rounds through it one day, and when I switched back to .223 it didn't even stutter. The gun was dirtier, but it ran just fine.

As for accuracy. I shot a sub-dime sized group at 25yards the other day with mine, same POI as .223 hits at. My bbl is 1:9 twist.

I see no need to go with a dedicated upper.

(Allegheny County)

I have the spikes conversion. In a DPMS sportical, lite barrel, 1-9 twist. Non-chrome lined. It is accurate well out beyond 35-50yds no problem. But the spikes conversion kit is notoriously pickier than others... Mine was a fuggin' nightmare in the beginning. Will not chamber remington anything... oob's galore. Hanging up pn the bolt catch... Just shit the other conversion kits do not do. It still will not run a mag the whole way through without jamming. And I have 1500 rounds through it easy.

It cleans up in seconds however, and looks great. But the overall usefulness of the spikes kit is greatly reduced by what I feel is crappy tolerances. It will shoot hi vel federal with pretty fair consistency. And great accuracy... but not without its share of jamming.

Which takes a large portion of the fun out of it. I then put the .223 bolt back in the gun and fire a mag of .223 when I am finished shooting .22lr and have not had any problems. Even after shooting 300 .22lr in a sitting.

I would go conversion mainly due to cost and why have a barrel you can only shoot .22lr out of? But I wouldn't buy a spikes .22lr kit again. I would buy someone else's.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I'd say conversion kit.

I have the CMMG kit...and I love it. I use the same upper/ sights/ etc. So, your cheap training is with the same sights/ free float, etc.

From a SHTF perspective, you bring along an extra BCG and magazine, and you have a serious defensive rifle and a small game rifle without having to lug around 2 guns.

Regarding getting junk in the gas tube...just rip 2 or 3 rounds of .223 at the end of the session, and it'll be right back to normal. I blasted a good 500 rounds through it one day, and when I switched back to .223 it didn't even stutter. The gun was dirtier, but it ran just fine.

As for accuracy. I shot a sub-dime sized group at 25yards the other day with mine, same POI as .223 hits at. My bbl is 1:9 twist.

I see no need to go with a dedicated upper.
    I'm with synergy on this one, point for point. My CMMG kit eats everything...except (strangely enough) CCI Minimag! It choked twice on these already. My SIG Mosquito doesn't like anything except CCI Minimag, so I am OK there. The primary thing for me, as already emphasized by synergy, is the almost everything-is-the-same aspect. It takes literally 10 seconds to swap out the BCG. PK Firearms has these for $200 and come with a 26-rd mag. Put the extra $400 into ammo and cleaning supplies.

Al