Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default ChesCo LTCF FAQ. False info?

About a month ago I was visiting the Chester County Sheriffs website looking up some info on the LTCF application process there for a friend. I noticed some peculiar "facts" in the FAQ section, so I sent this letter to Sheriff Welsh. I hoped to receive a reply, and am disappointed that apparently it has been ignored. So here is a copy of my letter. Perhaps others would be willing to add their voice and then they might pay attention.

Dear Sheriff Welsh.

I am a resident of Delaware County at this time, but I own and am currently renovating a home in Chester County and I plan to move there within a few months. I currently hold a PA LTCF, and also understand that no permit is required in PA for open carry, which I do on occasion.
    I was looking on your website for a friend for information about obtaining an LTCF and in the FAQ I saw something which I believe is inaccurate. I would appreciate if you could clarify/explain this for me, or, if it is incorrect, please remove the information from the FAQ.

At your site, located here:

http://dsf.chesco.org/sheriff/cwp/view.asp?A=3&Q=609178

one of the Questions/answers is:

Q. Is the License to carry a firearm issued in Chester County valid in other parts of the Commonwealth?
    A. YES. The License to Carry a Firearm issued in Chester County is valid throughout Pennsylvania, including Philadelphia. Please keep in mind that there are some areas where it is prohibited to carry a firearm such as schools, courts (both county and district), Federal, State and County properties, which includes parks, and anywhere it may be posted.

I am curious about the State and County properties clause, because the P.A code here says:

§ 6120. Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition.
    (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may
    in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession,
    transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition
    components when carried or transported for purposes not
    prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.

I understand that PA preemption does not allow County properties to be restricted, unless they qualify for another prohibited area, such as schools or courts. I have also always been under the impression that only certain State properties are prohibited. Clarification of this point would be very much appreciated,

Thank you
    Last edited by PCAviator; April 12th, 2009 at 08:30 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: ChesCo LTCF FAQ. False info?

Deleted by poster. Looked at the county OP shows from instead of text of msg. OOPS.
    Last edited by tes151; April 12th, 2009 at 08:53 PM.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    Delco Sheriff ignoring a gun owner? Well I never. Seems like I recall some other problems with that county being posted on here a ways back.
    OP was referring to the Chester County sheriff 'Bunny' Welsh.

Actually I would suggest that the OP resubmit the letter indicating politely that there was no reply to the original submission. Sheriff Welsh is pro-gun from what I can see as is her office. The letter may have gotten lost in the shuffle I would give her the benefit of the doubt and resubmit,

(Bucks County)

County property and parks prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons by ordinance. The ordinances are totally illegal, so feel free to ignore them as I did when I lived in Chester County. The only off limits places in Pennsylvania are Courts, Schools (maybe), and any federal properties where it would be illegal.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com