Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Alcohol and CC/OC

A bit of a preface;

I currently carry everywhere I'm "allowed" (and boy do I hate that absurd word!), usually concealed with my PA LTCW but I don't mind if I take my sweatshirt or overshirt off and it's open.

Now, lets say you are out to a nice dinner with the significant other, and you are of course carrying, do you allow yourself a glass of wine or a beer?

I'd say morally and ethically, sure, why not! I know a glass of wine wouldn't impair my ability to think clearly and use a machine, be it a sidearm, a rifle or a motor vehicle.

However, if "something bad happened" and I ended up shooting someone in self defense, I sure wouldn't want some sleazebag DA bringing up the fact that I had alcohol in my system.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Alcohol and CC/OC

Not trying beat you up, but this question is as bad as OC vs. CC.

(Erie County)

They could do the same for cold/cough medicine as well. If you actually limit yourself to one beer at dinner, I doubt it would barely register by the time you were tested.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Not trying beat you up, but this question is as bad as OC vs. CC.
    The thing about OC / CC I'll have to say, no matter which side you take....

I completely agree

:-)

(Lackawanna County)

Well, if someone on here were to respond as saying that yes they do, and later they come under scrutiny for their firearm handling or alcohol issues, then they could come under more scrutiny for it and become a bigger issue. Especially if the two were related. That being said my response is "no comment." Do I drink? Every once in a while. Do I carry? Basically always. It could be a logical assumption that yes I do carry while drinking. But I would not admit to that were it to be true.
    Last edited by nepawolf; April 12th, 2009 at 03:00 AM.

(Northampton County)

To keep it brief...

I won't OC if I drink in public, because I'm not comfortable with the image it sets for OCers. Granted, I still CC, and the owner and most of the regulars at the restaurant I usually go to know that I CC.

Of course, I don't get drunk out of my mind while carrying, because I have no desire to do that even when I'm not carrying. I understand the stigma attached to drinking and carrying, but I tend to disagree with the singling out of alcohol when other acts like drinking while tired, drinking while stressed, drinking while having a low blood sugar level, etc will equally impair one's judgment.

ETA: Don't take that as an endorsement for drinking and carrying, though. What works for me might not work for others. I have to accept that if I have to shoot to stop a threat (and I hope I never have to do that), I may find myself in a very precarious legal situation.
    Last edited by imperialism2024; April 12th, 2009 at 07:49 AM.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Venango County)

Everyone gets preoccupied with the criminal case and totally forget the civil case which can be as tough on you or worse if you lose everything you have built so far in your life.

I would be more concerned for any civil ramifications.

I don't know what they could charge you criminally for being drunk with a gun (I am taking the extremes here), if anything.

But I do think you will be crucified if you hit a by-stander while defending with even a teeny bit in your system. They will make you out to be totally impaired and settle for slightly impaired in a jury's mind.

Just my opinion mind you and IANAL. I would abstain as much as possible while armed to prevent any accusation of impairment.

ETA= New invention: Designated carrier. One friend with a LTCF goes and is designated carrier/driver and does not drink!
    Last edited by TaePo; April 12th, 2009 at 08:14 AM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post
    A bit of a preface;

I currently carry everywhere I'm "allowed" (and boy do I hate that absurd word!), usually concealed with my PA LTCW but I don't mind if I take my sweatshirt or overshirt off and it's open.

Now, lets say you are out to a nice dinner with the significant other, and you are of course carrying, do you allow yourself a glass of wine or a beer?

I'd say morally and ethically, sure, why not! I know a glass of wine wouldn't impair my ability to think clearly and use a machine, be it a sidearm, a rifle or a motor vehicle.

However, if "something bad happened" and I ended up shooting someone in self defense, I sure wouldn't want some sleazebag DA bringing up the fact that I had alcohol in my system.

Thoughts?
    My thought is there is no law against it, therefore it's default legal.

(Erie County)

Remember, the OP said ONE glass of wine or ONE beer with dinner. That's quite a bit different than hammering back a few at the bar.

(Lackawanna County)

keep in mind, that it's not illegal to be drunk and carry a gun. there are no laws against it. if you are charged with a crime, it would be "public drunkenness" or whatever it is here in PA. unwise, but not illegal.

i rarely have a drink, but when i do, i don't lock up my guns and give my keys to someone else. i know my limit, don't go beyond it. responsible imbiber, responsible gun owner.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast