Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: sharps 45-70

Talking sharps 45-70

I was at Cabela's today picking up some stuff my wife ordered online. While there I stopped at the gun counter and looked at a Henry and a Sharps. I have been wanting a Sharps for years but there was always something not right. The price was to high, the gun was not balanced right, it did not fit, or no set triggers. Today there was a Cabela's Sharps hunter. It had all the stuff I wanted and IT FIT. I usually buy guns at the local shop but they never have a Sharps. I usually buy a gun for my Birthday but did not do it this year. I can't help it but I think I am going to make a return trip to Cabela's on Monday.
    So with the new gun I am going to need dies for the reloader, Brass and Bullets and a creed more veriner sight. GEEEEEEZ this is going to get expensive.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: sharps 45-70

Excellent, several of us here play with Sharps. I do hope you run black through it. I think it was Steve Garbe that said smokeless powder is just a passing fad.

Go for it! I just recently joined the ranks of Sharps owners (notice I said owners, not shooters - have yet to get to the range with it....but soon). I, like you, always craved one but never could find the right one at the right price at the right time. Well, like a convergence of the planets, it finally happened. I want to thank Pukindog for helping me make the decision. He invited me to his club and offered-up his beautiful C. Sharps "The Boss" (among others) to shoot. Had a great time and it sealed the deal. Whether you shoot smokeless or black in it is up to you. While to some it may seem like blasphemey, I don't think I'll be shooting black powder. Too corrosive and too many nooks and crannies for it to get into. I have a muzzleloader if I want that big cloud of white smoke and that satisfying WHUMP. However, I do intend to explore cast bullet shooting with mine. Regardless of how you choose to use it, have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

(Bucks County)

Grizz, Welcome to the "Dark Side". Go for it. Single shot rifles are a hoot. Whether youi load black or smokeless you will have a blast. BTW, do you know the maker of the rifle? Make sure to post some photos. I posted mine. It is a C. Sharps 1874 in .45-90.
    Take care.
    Bob, anytime you want to try the Hadley disc and shoot your beast let me know.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pukindog; April 12th, 2009 at 07:41 AM.
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

PukinDog
    I believe it is made by Pedersoli. My wife was with me and I did not have time to look close. The Only writing I saw initially was Cableas on the flat. I asked the guy behind the counter and his response was and I quote" It is made by Uberti, Everybody knows Uberti is the only company making all of this reproduction stuff." Thats one of my biggest complaints about Cabelas they have people working there that have no idea and just make stuff as they go. When I got home I check Cabela's website and Pedersoli was listed as the maker.
    I shoot Holy Black in my muzzle loaders all the time so it will only be the next step to go to blackpowder cartrige guns.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Jefferson County)

Congrats and nice choice.. Pedersoli is probably the 3rd best manufacturer at present, only behind C. Sharps and Shiloh Sharps.

If you do some loading with smokeless, keep the pressures below mid-level #2 (levergun). If you load BP, make sure you get the right equipment like a powder drop tube, a compression die and measuring cups(BP is measured in volume, not weight).

I do plan on reloading. I will keep the loads on the low side. Black powder loads will come in the future. just now I can't wait to get back to Cabelas and make a good inspection.
    Any one have a favorite load I could start with how about a bullet? I will check my reloading manuals before I go though. I still have to find some powder. Over here in the land of beer and cow farts rifle powder is hard to find.
    Last edited by Grizz2720; April 13th, 2009 at 05:27 AM.

(Franklin County)

I don't own one, but I've been to the Sharps facility in Shiloh Montana. Fun people there. Kinda scoffed at my fancy-dancy SIG P229, I guess it's a puny little pea gun compared to their cannons. Nice gentlemen all around, the kind you could have a beer with and talk about damn near anything with.

I know what you mean about nice people at Shilo Sharps. I stopped at their booth when the NRA convention was in Milwaukee a couple of years ago. I really wanted to place an order then but just did not have the cash. Still don't but that is the way things go. Someday. They really do make nice guns.