Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Knife vs Gun Force on Force video

This video was shot during our Combative Pistol Course in Miami. Although it is only 4 seconds you can see a lot. First of all we call this the Hallway of Horror since because of the narrow confines you have little lateral movement and obstacles all around. Our shooter is armed with a concealed air soft Glock and draws in response to the knifer charging him. By circling to the his left as trained he makes it hard for the knifer to track him and land cut while at the same time manages to continue to move and land COM hits without ever bringing his arms to extension much less using the sites. At this distance if he were to extend his pistol he would only expose his inner arm to possibly fatal cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll98GjsxCIw

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Knife vs Gun Force on Force video

Seems like he could have also taken out everyone else standing there.

Nice vid, thanks for sharing.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Looks like he would have taken a slice to the outer upper right arm, and maybe the left forearm, but yeah, certainly nothing fatal, nothing a little Kerlix and a beer wouldn't fix. Knife guy would have been waaay worse for the wear.

One of these days Ill get around to a class of yours.

(York County)

We would be happy to have you.- George

(Allegheny County)

Edged weapons, close quarters fighting is a must.

Although the aggressor in the vid started at 4 or 5 yards, the target was able to draw and fire multiple shots.

Take it to another level.

A guy comes up to you at 1 yard or two and does the same thing with a knife coming out of concealment.

Can you effectively draw and fire?
    How do you react?
    There are situations which will completely negate the use of a firearm.
    I witnessed this in a Steve Tarani class.

A 6' 2"+,240+ lb man and a smaller but stocky man were discussing the ability of someone to instinctively react to a sudden close quarters charge.

This was during a break in the normal techniques we were being shown by Steve.
    We all had red/blue guns and training knives. Naturally,no one had a hot pistol.

During their discussion, the shorter stocky man suddenly rushes the big guy who immediately goes for the gun to try even a shot from retention. Didn't work. The short guy drove the big guy backward and into a pile of chairs. If the aggressor had a knife in his hand, he would have cut the big guy badly.

In a training environment, everyones "Spidy senses " are geared to the fact that someone is going to come after them and essentially, they are ready to combat the assailant.

This example showed that during the break, everyones guard was down.

Before I took any close quarters classes, the common thought was "Just shoot him" or "shoot him off your gun".

In many instances, even when your awareness is ramped up a bit because someone is in your space or non-comfort zone, an action can occur which essentially dictates that you use some type of reaction to:
    1). make distance to present a firearm ---IF POSSIBLE
    2) pull a knife, which in some instances may be faster than a firearm presentation
    3) defend your self with some type of hand to hand including the possible disarm of the assailant

Just shoot him doesn't always work.

Anyone reading this should consider this type of training.

Not to hijack mercops thread but this next weekend after Easter, Steve Tarani is coming to the Pittsburgh area ( for you westies) and there are 4 or 5 slots remaining in his class.

Doesn't matter if you are an Easty or Westy.

Get the training.
    Mercop. How often do you hold this type of training class? Website?(saw it on your sig)

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(York County)

We are doing this one in Quakertown on 2/3 MAY. Please don't judge the entire program by these fours seconds although it has some good points in it. As people will tell you that attended last weekends edged weapons class I can't teach a knife course without touching on pistol or a pistol course without touching on edged weapons. And during both we use lots of open hand combatives.

Problems can some time arise when gun guys try to teach edged weapons and vise versa without being able to blend them.- George

(Northampton County)

George.....
    That's an eye opening vid....good stuff. The defender still would have got sliced up pretty bad. I always tell people,don't underestimate a knife or stick,even when carrying a gun.

I think I could have handled that attack better with a stick than with a gun. I think....I'm not sure.

I spoke with you once at a gun show in Valley Forge.
    One day I would like to take one of your classes. I'm thinking you have a lot to offer your students.

(York County)

Actually my favorite weapon is a 28 inch rattan stick. Problem is having access to it during the attack. I have one next to the seat in my car. This guys had some equipment problems in the course and was the oldest student. This was one of the last things we did and he really stepped up to the plate. I was proud of him. I think over the last five years or so I have talked to everyone at Valley Forge- George