Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Open carry in my town

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    I went out to dinner tonight, open carry, the duty LEO was eating when I got there. Not a look or a word from the LEO. An older gent made a snide remark about hunting as we were both at the register on the way out. I refrained from getting snide back.
    LEO prolly didn't even notice. My experience is that many in law enforcement are less situationally aware than they should be. btw how are you liking that XD Gear holster, I've never worn mine.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Tioga County)

He saw me and new I was armed.

Not to fond of the holster. I have modified it to fit a 1.25 belt better. I beat it up to make a looser fit on the pistol. Now that I have worn it a bit I'm going to tighten it up just a smidge. I like my Blade-Tech IWB better. I'm still trying to find a Horiz. Shoulder Rig that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. I sometimes wish I had my old leather working tools back. If I did I would make a run down to Galeton and beg some leather. At one time I had an uncle that worked at the tannery. He would get me a piece here and there. Stuff that they couldn't sell but I could cut up and use for small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    LEO prolly didn't even notice. My experience is that many in law enforcement are less situationally aware than they should be. btw how are you liking that XD Gear holster, I've never worn mine.

I saw with my own eyes 2 cops were stopping a black dude who was carrying a rifle bag on his back/shoulder while walking. The cops did not have their guns out but seem like one cop looked like he was all "amp up" for some reasons.

I presume that the rifle was in the bag and did not really pose a threat to the public. Does anyone know whether or not one can carry a loaded/unloaded rifle on your person while walking about on the street in PA? AS far as my opinion goes, I think them cops were bothering that black dude. Like I said before, if I can carry my rifle and go on my daily biz, I would.

1FingrCHan

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1FingrCHan View Post
    Does anyone know whether or not one can carry a loaded/unloaded rifle on your person while walking about on the street in PA?
    yes, legally you can...loaded or unloaded.

you cannot legally drive around with a loaded rifle in your car, though.

the only place it is addressed in PA state law is section 6106.1 "Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms" of the PA UFA (rifles don't fit the PA UFA defiition of firearms). this section only prohibits the carrying of other loaded weapons in vehicles which means carrying them on foot is de facto legal.

§6106.1. Carrying Loaded Weapons Other Than Firearms.

(a) General rule.—Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)( 1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

(b) Penalty.—A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.

(Beaver County)

I disagree. It just takes a little bit to get used to, and a calm nerve when dealing with people who point out your gun (no matter thier intention in doing so). I dont do it often, but when I do, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17 View Post
    Open carry may be legal, but it still takes balls to carry that way. Big balls.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    yes, legally you can...loaded or unloaded.

you cannot legally drive around with a loaded rifle in your car, though.

the only place it is addressed in PA state law is section 6106.1 "Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms" of the PA UFA (rifles don't fit the PA UFA defiition of firearms). this section only prohibits the carrying of other loaded weapons in vehicles which means carrying them on foot is de facto legal.

Thanks, LRT. I know you alway got the answers to these type of inquiries. I have yet to see anyone with rifle walking about on the street. Certainly, if that happens then either we are in SHTF situation or an April Fool or Halloween day, he he he........

1FingrCHan

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1FingrCHan View Post
    I have yet to see anyone with rifle walking about on the street.
    i used to do it when i was growing up (in st. marys, not pittsburgh). i would walk from my house to a couple of hunting areas a couple miles away...through neighborhoods...with a rifle or shotgun. nobody ever looked twice.

i think if i went walking around the streets of pittsburgh with an AR slung over my shoulder, i might get a different reaction, though.

(Potter County)

open carry in downtown wellsboro ! i am surprised the up nosed there did not scream "help, bandito on the loose"

i carry all the time up the road in coudersport, but open carry, i am not that brave yet, my neighbor does though

(Tioga County)

I haven't open carried in Wellsboro yet. I will the next time I go over that way. Around here it's not a big deal. I don't see how they can't notice an XD45 on my hip. so I most presume nobody cares. I did get a wise crack about no guns in here for the owner of a local gun store, but he was just razzing me. He has loaded guns stashed all over the store, some of which I know where they are. He even has me watch the store while he goes across the street to the post office from time to time when his mate is not available.

I guess it's time to run over to the range and see how this latest class of wannabe cops are fairing on day two of firearms training. It's shocking to notice some of them have never fired a pistol before.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    open carry in downtown wellsboro ! i am surprised the up nosed there did not scream "help, bandito on the loose"

i carry all the time up the road in coudersport, but open carry, i am not that brave yet, my neighbor does though

(Tioga County)

I finally got down to Wellsboro. I went shopping in the Bi-Lo. I was using my blade-tec IWB holster but was in open carry mode, A tucked in t-shirt. Some guy came up and ask me if I shouldn't wearing a jacket. I explained to him there is no law against open carry and you don't even need a permit to do it. He was suprised to hear that. He wasn't upset just thought it odd. He is now a better informed individual.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast