Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default allegheny sheriff firearms are fed up with me calling?

It has been about 20 days since I filed for my LTCF so I figured I would give the sheriff a call and make sure they at least received it. I called once before about a week and a half ago to ask and they said they had not received it yet.
    I told the lady my SSN and Name and she said "I spoke with you the last time hang on a minute" in sort of a 'I don't like you calling twice' kind of way. She then got back on the phone and said in a very dismissing yet attempt to be nice way "The deputy said don't worry the slip was mailing out today please don't worry about it until you get the yellow slip in the mail" Fallowed by the deputy in the background saying "Goddamn"

Now maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions but are they basically telling me "stop calling about your LTCF" was I being Nagy? I only called a second time because she said they had not received it the first time I called.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: allegheny sheriff firearms are fed up with me calling?

In general, it's best to wait till about 40 days after you send in the application before you start calling.

Most counties get a little testy if you bother them about your application. They are very busy down there with limited staff and lots of applications, as well as being up against the statutory deadline.

I'm not saying it's RIGHT, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

(Lackawanna County)

I would think that they are at just a little higher level of stress right now...don't sweat it, since it IS being handled.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Berks County)

IMHO this is just the reaction of a bunch of frustrated people who have seen their workload increase 5-6 times (or more) because of an increase in applications. While it was definitely unprofessional, I doubt it was directed at you.

And to the Deputy and receptionist you spoke to: if we didn't have to apply for a permit to exercise a constitutional right, we wouldn't be nagging you so much...
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Yeah, 20 calendar days is not really that much time to wait, especially since they aren't working on the weekends. I know you're probably a little impatient about getting your first LTCF, but just relax... it'll come

(Jefferson County)

I concur with HiredGoon above.. just chill out.. Call once around the 40th day after they have received it.

If they are the type that doesn't do over-the-counter service, any calling could just make a 2 week process into a 45 business day process just to muck with you.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Yeah, 20 calendar days is not really that much time to wait, especially since they aren't working on the weekends. I know you're probably a little impatient about getting your first LTCF, but just relax... it'll come
    This is debatable IMHO. While the law does state 45 days, many counties issue immediately if you pass the PICS check. Why some Sheriff's offices take so damn long is beyond me when the PICS check usually doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

But, as HiredGoon said, chilling out is the best course; if they are making you wait, there's not much you can do as they are still acting within the law. Don't make a name for yourself with them, otherwise that could complicate the issue.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    This is debatable IMHO. While the law does state 45 days, many counties issue immediately if you pass the PICS check. Why some Sheriff's offices take so damn long is beyond me when the PICS check usually doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

But, as HiredGoon said, chilling out is the best course; if they are making you wait, there's not much you can do as they are still acting within the law. Don't make a name for yourself with them, otherwise that could complicate the issue.
    Yep, the process certainly needs to be more "uniform" among counties. Some are nearly instant, others 45 days + and others somewhere in between. I'd say overall though, 20 calendar days is not that bad, especially if his notification is going out today, as the woman he spoke with said. Could be a lot worse as in some other counties.

I'm assuming the OP meant calendar days when he said 20 days.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I'm assuming the OP meant calendar days when he said 20 days.
    Yes sir, should have made it a bit more clear sorry about that. And yes I am a bit anxious for my first LTCF I have to get it soon Harry, w1cked, and I have a date at Starbucks planned once I get it and once the weather stops it's ridiculousness

(Northampton County)

I'm in the early stages of getting things moving for the LTCF, anybody know if Northampton County does the "instant" LTCF or are they part of the hurry up and wait for it group? (No disrespect intended by that comment just my way of speaking, or typing in this case)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast