Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Letter from Delco Sheriff

I received my approval letter from the Delco sheriff today. BTW, they didn't take the full 45 days. {surprised} He gave me some advice, some good and some has me curious.

I feel a duty to offer some words of caution and advice:

Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm can cause adverse reaction by fellow citizens It could result in the taking of your weapon by someone who could use it against you.

Common sense dictates that the constant carrying of a firearm is unnecessary. Restrict use to situations and activities that require it.

There were some helpful and at least obvious to me good suggestions. I was wondering if these Talking points are statewide.
    So I should only carry a weapon if I am going to a drug infested high crime area?
    I guess his thought is, here"s your LTCF, just don't carry a firearm. You will never need it because it can't happen to you.
    Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the job our Law Enforcement does day in and day out. My local LEO's are top notch in my book.
    I understand the whole OC thing with them. I probably won't carry for awhile till I wrap my head around the whole concept and resposibility of doing so.
    But when I decide I am ready to carry, I will carry most of the time.

BTW, on another note much to my surprise, my wife is contemplating getting her LTCF. Now I know things are going to hell in a basket. Just when I think she can't surprise me with anything. Go figure.

Hope to see at the rally.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Letter from Delco Sheriff

if guns weren't needed, then no one would make them, and no one would buy them.

Your Sheriff can do his job as prescribed by the law and keep his opinions out of your business. He is there to serve, not to rule.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    I received my approval letter from the Delco sheriff today. BTW, they didn't take the full 45 days. {surprised} He gave me some advice, some good and some has me curious.

I feel a duty to offer some words of caution and advice:

Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm can cause adverse reaction by fellow citizens It could result in the taking of your weapon by someone who could use it against you.

Common sense dictates that the constant carrying of a firearm is unnecessary. Restrict use to situations and activities that require it.

There were some helpful and at least obvious to me good suggestions. I was wondering if these Talking points are statewide.
    So I should only carry a weapon if I am going to a drug infested high crime area?
    I guess his thought is, here"s your LTCF, just don't carry a firearm. You will never need it because it can't happen to you.
    Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the job our Law Enforcement does day in and day out. My local LEO's are top notch in my book.
    I understand the whole OC thing with them. I probably won't carry for awhile till I wrap my head around the whole concept and resposibility of doing so.
    But when I decide I am ready to carry, I will carry most of the time.

BTW, on another note much to my surprise, my wife is contemplating getting her LTCF. Now I know things are going to hell in a basket. Just when I think she can't surprise me with anything. Go figure.

Hope to see at the rally.
    That can be taken to the latrine/head, depending on the branch of service.

(Franklin County)

I wonder if he and his deputies only carry when they'll encounter a situation that will "require" it?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

The past two years I got a pamphlet in the mail from the DELCO sheriff filled with misinformation, there's a couple threads on it, here's one of them:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-carry-145/10417-delaware-county-pa-mailing-permit-holders-page-2.html

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post

Given the concerns from some people on the site about LEO-bashing, I can understand why you're making this statement. And quite frankly, I agree. Most LEOs do an admirable job and go unnoticed, just like millions of other people who work in their chosen profession/vocation who do their very best every day.

With that said, don't be afraid to voice an opinion, or feel the need for a disclaimer, for fear that your comments will be seen as LEO bashing. Everyone has a right to an opinion, even if people think it's a bad one.

[RANT]
    This is a bit of an aside, but TECHNICALLY, there's no need for your disclaimer in this case. The Sheriff and his deputies are TECHNICALLY not law enforcement in PA. In PA sheriffs do not enforce law, they are an arm of the Judiciary and their charter is to aid the courts in doing their job. They don't have arrest powers and can not issue charges against an individual.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but if everyone's going to be put on edge by those who are worried we LEO bash on this site, let's make sure we all know who the LEOs are.
    [/RANT]

I agree with your concerns and the opinions of others in that the DelCo Sheriff shouldn't be editorializing in any documentation that comes from his office. He should be providing information on the law, not telling everyone what he thinks is proper or what will make a LEO's job easier.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; April 9th, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I agree with your concerns and the opinions of others in that the DelCo Sheriff shouldn't be editorializing in any documentation that comes from his office. He should be providing information on the law, not telling everyone what he thinks is proper or what will make a LEO's job easier.
    Worse is that this info, as well as the needed corrections, have been presented to him multiple times. He arrogantly refuses to do his job correctly.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Dauphin County)

wow that guy is a keeper huh ?? lol

i just love how some of these guys think that thier oppinion is better than state law..!
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Delaware County)

I happen to know Joe McGinn. He is a gregarious and approachable guy. He is a Vietnam Vet who truly had his feet on the bloody ground, he knows his way around weapons. He used his GI bill to get his degree and ran his own business for many years. He is a husband and father to 2 kids (Boy and Girl). Almost everyone on this site would enjoy having a beer with him. He has an incredible laugh!!

I also know that he is a member of this site. Not very active, but has a sign on. So keep posting your ideas and he will make an intelligent decision, or not!

I don't see him as much as I used to, but when I bump into him I will mention your concerns, and ask him to revisit his published opinions.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

That BS letter is not limited to Delco. most others have the same list they send out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast