Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Metal Detectors Greet Exeter Borough Meeting Attendees

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Meta...4-08-2009.html

April 8
    Metal detectors greet public; topic is Wal-Mart
    B. GARRET ROGAN Times Leader Correspondent

EXETER – Residents attending Exeter’s Borough Council meeting Tuesday were greeted with metal detectors and pocket searches conducted by Luzerne County Sheriff’s Department deputies.

The extra security was there at the request of the borough officials because of the heightened interest in council meetings since the possibility of an Exeter Wal-Mart was raised within the last few weeks.

Council Chairman Richard Murawski did not feel that residents on opposing sides of the Wal-Mart debate would resort to any violence, but given the string of recent high-profile acts of random violence throughout the country, the council decided to take precautions.

Although not officially on the night’s agenda, the various issues surrounding the possibility of constructing the box store dominated everyone’s attention. Several non-agenda items were presented by council member Joseph Esposito.

The council unanimously passed an ordinance that will prohibit members of council from engaging in any land development negotiations outside of public hearings. Another measure was also passed that would allow Pasonick Engineering to review the municipality’s zoning laws.

During the public comments section of the meeting, however, Brad Kurlancheek, a Wilkes-Barre attorney associated with Exeter First, a group opposed to a new Wal-Mart, pointed out that Pasonick Engineering has done work for the store chain in the past and questioned the firm’s impartiality.

Council members said they would look into any connections or conflicts of interest between the two parties.

Karen Simpson, also of Exeter First, implored the council to conduct its own studies on the likely community impact that the retail giant would bring. She said she feared that the common perception of Wal-Mart’s effects was being determined by studies conducted by that corporation.

The land proposed for the store’s possible location is currently classified as a M2, light industrial zone. A recent recommendation made by the Exeter Borough Planning Commission suggested that property’s classification be changed to a business zone.

Such a change would allow for the private property owners to sell the land to Wal-Mart.

The council stressed the Municipal Zoning Board has not yet reviewed the recommendation. “Everything’s up in the air,” Chairman Murawski said. He and the other council did not even remotely address any time table as to when decisions regarding a Wal-Mart development would be made.

Borough resident Phil Noble said it was the property owners’ right to seek a profit on the land. He said he worried the borough might be liable for a decline in the property if it did not assist with the owners’ ability to make a profit.

His sentiments were echoed by a number of residents after the meeting.

Dave Balent, a member of the planning commission who voted in favor of recommending a change to the zone where the property is located said he felt such a move was in the borough’s best interest.

He also raised the issue of jobs, pointing out that Wal-Mart will be a large employer. Several other residents, who preferred to remain anonymous, also pointed out that Wal-Mart’s arrival could also serve to lower their taxes. They felt that Wal-Mart could be a valuable partner in the area.

Exeter resident Larry Dellegrotto countered that the light industrial classification was actually quite rare and could be used for many more uses including industries that might be able to provide federally subsidized “green jobs.”

Kurlancheek agreed with Dellegrotto and contended that any short-term benefit Wal-Mart might bring could very well be erased in the coming years. He pointed to pollution, traffic congestion and unfair business practices as monikers of Wal-Mart.

He urged the necessity of exercising other options.
    Arent the metal detectors a violation?
    - Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

Default Re: Metal Detectors Greet Council Meeting Attendees

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    http://www.timesleader.com/news/Meta...4-08-2009.html

Arent the metal detectors a violation?
    Only if they deny entry to the meeting because you are carrying, or try to disarm you.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Luzerne County)

EXETER – Residents attending Exeter’s Borough Council meeting Tuesday were greeted with metal detectors and pocket searches conducted by Luzerne County Sheriff’s Department deputies.

WHOAH!

Preventing people from carrying firearms to a boro meeting is a violation of Pa. Crimes Code. Specifically Title 18 subsection 6120. This is a misdemeanor 1 (18Pa.C.S.6119)

This was a very bad move by Exetor boro and the Sheriff.

I just crawled out of bed after having a fever for about 5 hours... only to see this?!? Someone is getting NASTY phone calls today.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post

WHOAH!

Preventing people from carrying firearms to a boro meeting is a violation of Pa. Crimes Code. Specifically Title 18 subsection 6120. This is a misdemeanor 1 (18Pa.C.S.6119)

I just crawled out of bed after having a fever for about 5 hours... only to see this?!? Someone is getting NASTY phone calls today.
    Keep us updated!!

(Luzerne County)

WHOAH!

How did those calls go?
    - Big D
    I am looking for SIG ST Series pistols. Please PM me if you have one you would like to sell.

(Berks County)

I'd really like to know if/when the local DA is going to charge the sheriff's office and/or the borough council with a violation of said statute.

I'm sure I'll be waiting awhile...
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Armstrong County)

WHOAH!

Rich if any reinforcements are need let me know.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Berks County)

WHOAH!

Uh oh, they done gone and stepped in a big pile of gorilla shit here.

Go get em, they got bananas in their pockets.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    Uh oh, they done gone and stepped in a big pile of gorilla shit here.

Go get em, they got bananas in their pockets.
    Nah, they're just overjoyed to see him.

(Luzerne County)

Update later today (I had Flu yesterday)...
    I am also trying to figure out what authority the SD had to administer security at a boro bldg even if it was legal to do so

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast