Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
I got my car inspected for the year and since I drive this car less than 5,000 miles last year I'm exempted from emissions. I looked at my bill when I got home and I paid $19.95 for the exempted emissions? Is this a state mandatory fee? If so then this is a crock of shit and a rip off IMHO They get you coming and going Does anyone else have a vehicle that's exempted from emissions and have to pay this exempted fee? My car is 20 years old and I can't wait to get a classic plate so I don't have to pay this state another dime for inspection and emission.
Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
You still have to have inspections done with classic plates. With antique plates you do not, but there are certain restrictions on when you can drive.
Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
Actually, no restrictions on WHEN you can drive on the antique tag, but the purposes are limited.

Yep. two of my three 'drivers' are exempt, but I still have to pay the damn fee.
There are some additional limitations and exceptions to this, but basically:

Classic plates - 10+ years old & has "collectors" value, no emissions testing (still need safety inspection) some places say 15+ years, but it's 10+ in the PA code.
Antique plates - 25+ years old, no emissions or safety testing required

Both classic & antique are "lifetime" registrations, so you don't have to keep paying for that every year.

You can't use these tags for commercial or daily driver use. You can use them to go to events (shows, parades, etc.) and "occasional" use, which is defined as no more than 1 day per week.

There is also a "collectible" vehicle tag for heavily modified cars that is basically the same as the classic tag without the age requirement.