Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: PA Inspection and Emissions for Motor Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    one other point regarding financial motivations behind having such picky inspection laws....

the state might not make any money off of it, but the auto repair and sales industry makes a buttload off of it.

i would not at all be surprised to learn that these laws were pushed, possibly even authored, by a lobbying group for that industry.

i don't know that that was the case here, but that is how a lot of laws in this country come into existence.
    solution: people could do their own work on their cars and snuff the evil repair shop. I can honestly tell you that very very few parts of the inspection code are unreasonable and I inspect accordingly within the code. In fact I think some of the stuff isn't strict enough. i would never drive a car that only had 2/32" left on the front brake pads or 2/32" of tread on the tires. maybe thats just me and those parts are very easily changed.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    all those fee are charged by the dealer. not the state. none of that money goes to the state.
    Actually the state charges the stations for the stickers, the stations charge a fee to recover that charge, of course most pad that amount. My mechanic is a friend, I drive my car less than 5000 miles a year, (I ride the motorcycle most of the year) I get charged $5.00 for the (exempt) emissions sticker for the car.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Actually the state charges the stations for the stickers, the stations charge a fee to recover that charge, of course most pad that amount. My mechanic is a friend, I drive my car less than 5000 miles a year, (I ride the motorcycle most of the year) I get charged $5.00 for the (exempt) emissions sticker for the car.
    I wouldn't call it "padding" it's called mark up. Which is standard procedure for running a business for profit. If you don't like how much you are paying you are free to find somewhere cheaper. Thats how the market works.

(Berks County)

the whole program is a money-making fraud
    I believe that it's called Legalized State Extortion

(Delaware County)

I wouldn't call it "padding" it's called mark up. Which is standard procedure for running a business for profit. If you don't like how much you are paying you are free to find somewhere cheaper. Thats how the market works.
    Padding, mark up, whatever, you sure are touchy about the subject aren't you, between this thread and the other, geez lighten up. Oh yea, I was responding to the part where you say the state doesn't get anything from it, yes they do, the sticker money and the taxes on top of what you're charged.

By the way I did go elsewhere, I pay $5.00, not the $20 some said they pay for a $3.00 sticker.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Padding, mark up, whatever, you sure are touchy about the subject aren't you, between this thread and the other, geez lighten up. Oh yea, I was responding to the part where you say the state doesn't get anything from it, yes they do, the sticker money and the taxes on top of what you're charged.

By the way I did go elsewhere, I pay $5.00, not the $20 some said they pay for a $3.00 sticker.

yea i am a bit touchy because you guys are basically insulting my way of living and are making it sound like i'm out to screw everyone over. I'm out of the threads now.

(Allegheny County)

yea i am a bit touchy because you guys are basically insulting my way of living and are making it sound like i'm out to screw everyone over. I'm out of the threads now.
    for my part, you are taking what i am saying too personally.

i am not saying you are dishonest. i am also not at all begrudging you making a good buck doing what you do.

but, many laws in our country are, in fact, written by industry lobbyists. they write those laws for the benefit of their industry. this happens in many industries.
    F*S=k

(Delaware County)

No, no-one here said you personally, you took it that way, fact is there is good and bad in every profession.

By the way, if you look at MY posts in this (and the other) thread I only provided factual information and with the exception of the word padding said nothing one way or the other as to whether or not people in your profession screw people.

(Allegheny County)

Called up my friend that works as a parts manager at a dealer and asked about the 1 year waiver. He talked to one of his techs who confirmed that (for emissions) you need only pay a maximum of $150 trying to correct the problem in order to get a sticker. (Thanks for the info soberbyker and autotech!) However, he said very specifically that you could just do the same thing the next year and year after. I asked him to confirm that with his service manager (out of curiosity).

Quote Originally Posted by keryst View Post
    Called up my friend that works as a parts manager at a dealer and asked about the 1 year waiver. He talked to one of his techs who confirmed that (for emissions) you need only pay a maximum of $150 trying to correct the problem in order to get a sticker. (Thanks for the info soberbyker and autotech!) However, he said very specifically that you could just do the same thing the next year and year after. I asked him to confirm that with his service manager (out of curiosity).
    Yep, spend $150 each year, for $15 sticker.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast