Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA Inspection and Emissions for Motor Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    I believe it's only certain areas of the state that require Emissions Test. My area doesn't so I don't get a sticker
    I was under the impression it was Allegheny and Philadelphia county, and their adjacent counties.

Unfortunately, that includes me.

And now, one odd thing I have heard from mechanics but never independently verified: If you fail an emissions inspection (NOT the safety inspection), you only have to pay a maximum of $250 attempting to fix the problem. After that, you can get the sticker, even if you are still failing. However, you'll go through the same thing again the next year. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    I'm not a tree hugger or anything but i do believe that an emissions tests isn't a bad thing.
    yeah, i agree with you there. i should have noted that in my second post.

Also I'm sure there are a good bit of accidents that are caused by cars not being regularly inspected.
    i'd love to see some actual statistics on that. i bet there aren't many. i dunno, though. i just can't believe that if there were many accidents attributed to mechanical failures in states that do not have inspections laws that they would pass inspection laws as a result. but, who knows.

Also ,again, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the state makes next to no money from these state inspections.
    oh, i don't think it's a racket to make money for the state.

i'm not going to speculate on the motivations behind the statutes.

i'm just observing that a lot of what is required for PA inspection has nothing to do with either safety or environmental protection.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

The state doesn't make money off the individual emissions tests. However, I believe it does receive federal funding for having an emissions program in place.

The charges for emissions exemptions are from the inspection station, not the state.

Different parts of the state have different emissions requirements, based on population of the area.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by keryst View Post
    I was under the impression it was Allegheny and Philadelphia county, and their adjacent counties.

And now, one odd thing I have heard from mechanics but never independently verified: If you fail an emissions inspection (NOT the safety inspection), you only have to pay a maximum of $250 attempting to fix the problem. After that, you can get the sticker, even if you are still failing. However, you'll go through the same thing again the next year. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/smog-check.php#If_Your_Vehicle_Fails_the_Emission_Test

The above is not an official PENNDOT site but as far as I know the info is accurate. From that link it says ....

2) If Your Vehicle Fails the Emission Test
    Should your vehicle not pass, you must foot the bill for all repair costs needed to bring it into compliance. You then must have it retested before your vehicle's current safety inspection expires. You won't be charged for this second test as long as you return to the same inspection station within 30 days.

If your vehicle fails a second time, you are eligible for a one-year waiver provided you present proof that you spent over $150 on emission repairs. Check with your inspection mechanic to explore your options.
    The link below is an official PENNDOT detailing areas of the state needing emissions testing ...

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/emissions.shtml

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by keryst View Post

It's actually only $150. but it has to be towards the problem. so if you have a code for evaporative emissions you can't throw a set of plugs in it and then get the waiver. The next year you have to fix the problem. you can't keep getting exempt for the same code. Also if you fail emissions you can't get a safety inspection sticker until you get an emissions sticker first.

(York County)

you guys keep saying that some parts of the inspection have nothing to do with safety but you guys aren't citing any examples. perhaps I can elaborate on why it is a requirement.

(Mifflin County)

Here's all I could find about fees from the state.

How much can a station charge for an emissions inspection?

The fee for emissions inspections will continue to be market driven – similar to the
    safety inspection. Competition permits customers to choose inspection sites based on price, service and convenience.
    and
    Will stations need to issue an emissions inspection sticker if a vehicle is exempt from the emissions inspection program?

Yes. Even if the vehicle is exempt from the emissions inspection program the motorist
    must still take the vehicle to an emissions inspection station to receive an exemption
    sticker. Stations can charge a fee to issue an exemption sticker.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    you guys keep saying that some parts of the inspection have nothing to do with safety but you guys aren't citing any examples. perhaps I can elaborate on why it is a requirement.
    i listed some in the other thread. i won't repeat it here just because it seems silly to have the exact same conversation going on in two threads. but, if you would like to discuss specifics, i'd be happy to in the other thread.
    F*S=k

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Here's all I could find about fees from the state.

and
    all those fee are charged by the dealer. not the state. none of that money goes to the state.

(Allegheny County)

one other point regarding financial motivations behind having such picky inspection laws....

the state might not make any money off of it, but the auto repair and sales industry makes a buttload off of it.

i would not at all be surprised to learn that these laws were pushed, possibly even authored, by a lobbying group for that industry.

i don't know that that was the case here, but that is how a lot of laws in this country come into existence.
    F*S=k

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast