Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Input needed on Campus Concealed Carry Editorial

Since I'm trying to start a chapter for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at U of M, I thought I'd write an editorial to make the point and get some exposure. If you gentlemen/ladies would like to give me any input, it would be much appreciated. I'll probably submit it later tonight. It's supposed to be 600-700 words, and is currently running 719.

Whether the news of the day is a mass shooting or a fugitive’s battle with police, this has been a violent two weeks for America. Even in Ann Arbor, DPS recently sent out a crime alert about the assault of a female student by an unknown young male. This crime was exactly the sort of attack those at the annual “Take Back the Night” rally that occurred a few days later wanted to prevent. Of course, we all remember even worse incidents of violence at universities, like the Virginia Tech massacre which will have been two years ago next week.

All of these terrible occurrences show two grim truths. First, bad things can happen anywhere, at any time, to any one of us. The second is that ultimately we are responsible for our own safety. The young woman who was attacked makes this clear, as she struggled and broke free from her assailant. DPS and the Ann Arbor PD cannot be everywhere at all times. Equally important is the fact that the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that the police have no legal duty to protect you. You cannot sue the police for not being there when you need them. Nor should we expect them to be, they are not government-issued personal bodyguards.

The fact is that to improve one’s personal safety, proactive steps must be taken. This involves doing simple things like being aware of one’s surroundings and staying in well-lit areas. However, despite all the precautions that a person might observe, crimes will still be committed. In such a situation, resorting to forceful self-defense becomes necessary. The trouble with self-defense is that college students are often denied the best tool of self-defense: a concealed handgun. Suppose that the girl who was assaulted was not strong and fortunate enough to break free. If she was walking to or from campus, she was denied the right to use the best tool of self-defense because of state and University laws that make it a crime for licensed gun owners to carry a concealed handgun on campus. University policy also imposes serious academic penalties. To present an even worse situation, suppose there was a mass shooting on campus. Because of misguided laws and policies, those who would otherwise have been prepared to defend themselves would be left unarmed and helpless.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is a student organization that is working with universities and state legislatures to change laws and policies to allow students at public universities who are licensed in accordance with state law the right to self-defense through a concealed handgun in the place where they spend a large part of their daily lives. The organization has thirty eight thousand members across the country, and the majority of the members are students and faculty. The group has successfully introduced legislation in multiple states, and is continuing to grow since its founding after the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007. More information can be found at www.concealedcampus.org, particularly in the “Common Arguments” section.

Allowing concealed carry of pistols on campus is not about arming every single college student, as many of the group’s detractors believe. The fact is, students are already armed. Essentially anyone who is over 21, has a clear criminal background, and is mentally healthy can obtain a Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL). Many students have CPLs and own firearms, and frequently carry all over Ann Arbor. Statistically, these CPL holding students are among the most law-abiding segments of the population. Unlike many naysayers believed when CPLs were first instituted, small arguments have not become firefights, nor have police accidentally shot CPL holders when they arrive on scene. In addition, if a license-holder is forced to draw a pistol in self-defense, they are more likely to avoid hitting innocent bystanders than most police forces. The only difference between Ann Arbor and the University campus in terms of carrying handguns is an invisible legal line, which neither deters criminals nor turns law-abiding students into irresponsible armed drunks. Removing this line would make the campus much safer than people imagine it to be at the moment.

If you would like to join SCCC, get your CPL, or just want to go shooting (even for the first time), feel free to email me at jlizzio@umich.edu.
    While the wicked stand confounded, call me with Thy saints surrounded.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Input needed on Campus Concealed Carry Editorial

Looks good to me! And good luck with starting a chapter at your college, hopefully you'll be able to help enlighten those who oppose such a cause.

The only thing that I can think of that might help would be to use testimony of people involved in shootings/assaults/rapes and use what many of them say time after time after time: "if only someone had been there to stop them." And show how armed citizens have made a difference in the past....

Good luck!
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

go to the local grocery store and buy all of their tin foil, cover the walls of your room, window(s) and door, then buy a burgler bar and a fire escape ladder, install both items. When campus safety or security or police come through your door, guns blazing, and shoot your dog at 3AM you may have a chance at escape...thats more than I can say for your dog...I'd say..invest in some of this:
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Greene County)

I think it sounds good. I hope this really takes off for you and goes well.

(Monroe County)

Whether the news of the day is a mass shooting or a fugitive’s battle with police, this has been a violent two weeks for America.
    Even in Ann Arbor, DPS recently sent out a crime alert about the assault of a female student by an unknown young male. This crime was exactly the sort of attack those at the annual “Take Back the Night” rally that occurred a few days later wanted to prevent. Of course, we all remember even worse incidents of violence at universities, like the Virginia Tech massacre which will have been two years ago next week. (Wasn't there a more recent shooting at a campus much closer to you?)

Try removing the date references - some more data around Campus crimes and Ann Arbor crimes may be good

All of these terrible occurrences show two grim truths. First, bad things can happen anywhere, at any time, to any one of us. (without provocation or reason)

The second is that ultimately we are responsible for our own safety. The young woman who was attacked makes this clear, as she struggled and broke free from her assailant. (The second is that each of us is responsible for our own safety. The young woman who was attacked knew this and escaped her assailant instead of waiting for police)

DPS and the Ann Arbor PD cannot be everywhere at all times (remove at all times)

.Equally important is the fact that the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that the police have no legal duty to protect you. You cannot sue the police for not being there when you need them. (remove this as it isn't really relevant and will save words)

Nor should we expect them to be, they are not government-issued personal bodyguards. (great line!)

The fact is that to improve one’s personal safety, proactive steps must be taken. This involves doing simple things like being aware of one’s surroundings and staying in well-lit areas. However, despite all the precautions that a person might observe, crimes will still be committed. In such a situation, resorting to forceful self-defense (may) becomes necessary. The trouble with self-defense is that college students are often denied (one of) the bestremove best (most effective) tool of (replace of with for) self-defense: a concealed handgun.

Suppose that the girl who was assaulted was not strong and fortunate enough to break free. If she was walking to or from campus, (can you find a better example where it would have saved a life or serious injury? - this line leaves a lot of "well I'll just hit the gym or scream..)

she was denied the right to use the best tool of self-defense (once again - one of the best) because of state and University laws that make it a crime for licensed gun owners to carry a concealed handgun on campus. University policy also imposes serious academic penalties.

To present an even worse situation, suppose there was a mass shooting on campus. Because of misguided laws and policies, those who would otherwise have been prepared to defend themselves would be left unarmed and helpless. (this really seems like its just stuck to the end)

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is a student organization that is working with universities and state legislatures to change laws and policies to allow students at public universities who are licensed in accordance with state law the right to self-defense through a concealed handgun in the place where they spend a large part of their daily lives. The organization has thirty eight thousand members across the country, and the majority of the members are students and faculty. The group has successfully introduced legislation in multiple states, and is continuing to grow since its founding after the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007. More information can be found at www.concealedcampus.org, particularly in the “Common Arguments” section.

Allowing concealed carry of pistols on campus is not about arming every single college student, as many of the group’s detractors believe. The fact is, students are already armed. Essentially anyone who is over 21, has a clear criminal background, and is mentally healthy can obtain a Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL). Many students have CPLs and own firearms, and frequently carry all over Ann Arbor. Statistically, these CPL holding students are among the most law-abiding segments of the population. Unlike many naysayers believed when CPLs were first instituted, small arguments have not become firefights, nor have police accidentally shot CPL holders when they arrive on scene. In addition, if a license-holder is forced to draw a pistol in self-defense, they are more likely to avoid hitting innocent bystanders than most police forces. The only difference between Ann Arbor and the University campus in terms of carrying handguns is an invisible legal line, which neither deters criminals nor turns law-abiding students into irresponsible armed drunks. Removing this line would make the campus much safer than people imagine it to be at the moment.

If you would like to join SCCC, get your CPL, or just want to go shooting (even for the first time), feel free to email me at jlizzio@umich.edu.

Sorry out of time - back to work. looks good though
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Northampton County)

Since I'm trying to start a chapter for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at U of M, I thought I'd write an editorial to make the point and get some exposure. If you gentlemen/ladies would like to give me any input, it would be much appreciated. I'll probably submit it later tonight. It's supposed to be 600-700 words, and is currently running 719.

Whether the news of the day is a mass shooting or a fugitive’s battle with police, this has been a violent two weeks for America. Even in Ann Arbor, DPS recently sent out a crime alert about the assault of a female student by an unknown young male. This crime was exactly the sort of attack those at the annual “Take Back the Night” rallyagainst sexual assult that occurred a few days later wanted to prevent. Of course, we all remember even worse incidents of violence at universities, like the Virginia Tech massacre which will have been two years ago next week.

All of these terrible occurrences show two grim truths. First, bad things can happen anywhere, at any time, to any one of us. The second is that ultimately we are responsible for our own safety. The young woman who was attacked makes this clear,I would delete the rest of this sentence. It adds words to your max and is redundant. DPS and the Ann Arbor PD cannot be everywhere at all times. Equally important is the fact that the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that the police have no legal duty to protect youI would BOLD or italics it in the editorial! That statement speaks for itself You cannot sue the police for not being there when you need them. Nor should we expect them to be, they are not government-issued personal bodyguards.

The fact is that to improve one’s personal safety, proactive steps must be taken. This involves doing simple things like being aware of one’s surroundings and staying in well-lit areas. However, despite all the precautions that a person might observe, crimes will still be committed. In such a situation, resorting to forceful self-defense becomes necessary. The trouble with self-defense is that college students are often denied the best tool of self-defense: a concealed handgun. Suppose that the girl who was assaulted was not strong and fortunate enough to break free. If she was walking to or from campus, she was denied the right to use the best tool of self-defense because of state and University laws that make it a crime for licensed gun owners to carry a concealed handgun on campus. University policy also imposes serious academic penalties. To present an even worse situation, suppose there was a mass shooting on campus. Because of misguided laws and policies, those who would otherwise have been prepared to defend themselves would be left unarmed and helpless.

First off I would like to congratulate you for writing this. As a whole it is a solid piece. There are a few things I would change, they are in green. The most important thing though it to get it below the maximum word limit so the newspaper actually runs it. They can deny running it if you go over by a few words.

I wish you the best. Good Luck with SCCC. I Wish I would have known about it sooner, I would have tried to start a chapter.

Keep us posted on how it goes

Lol, jeep. Unfortunately for them, I'm always up at 3 AM, and have a very nice fire escape from my apartment. Now that'd be a hard one to explain to the student body...

Thanks for all the input, it should run on Thursday, but possibly as late as Monday. I had my Father go over it too, and he's a professional writer, so it should be approaching maximum effectiveness. I'll post a link once it's published.

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaRogue View Post
    Lol, jeep. Unfortunately for them, I'm always up at 3 AM, and have a very nice fire escape from my apartment. Now that'd be a hard one to explain to the student body...

Thanks for all the input, it should run on Thursday, but possibly as late as Monday. I had my Father go over it too, and he's a professional writer, so it should be approaching maximum effectiveness. I'll post a link once it's published.
    I only say it because it has happened, sans student body outrage, sans warrant...be careful who you piss off once they know you are a gun owner. Good luck, I hope you won't need it.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Where did it happen? I'd really like to find out some more about an incident like that.

The article ran in the paper today. It was slightly altered by the editors from what I submitted (cut down a bit, I think it made the writing less professional). Still, I think it came out well. I wish they hadn't taken out the last bit but people can still contact me if they want to with the student directory.

http://michigandaily.com/content/200...point-gun-laws

Thanks for all the input on this. Hopefully this will help kickstart the U of M chapter. This won't be the last article either, I'm applying for a summer columnist position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast