Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mont.Co. Apps up 6X

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Are you trying to justify, unlawful requirements?
    You know what F it.
    Yes I am.
    If it keeps some asshat punk that was raised by uncaring or overcaring parents that never taught them the value of life, property, respect, or law, from getting a permit to carry their gun concealed then yeah I'm for it. With the abundance of little shits out there thinking their gangstas or just not showing respect for anyone I've pretty much lost all hope for the next generation. The extra step doesn't keep anyone from exercising their right to buy a firearm or carry it openly in the state of PA. If you would like to fund a lawsuit and move to Montco I'll happily stand up for you on it on principle but until then I don't mind it all. There are too many local incidents that never result in court hearings or convictions that would restrict ownership but would show an overall lack of respect for the law and people in general, so if we have one small hurdle to weed out some losers I don't mind. There are larger issues happening at this time that need to be addressed.
    Now on the flip side of that, I am sick and F'ng tired of new laws and hurdles that shouldn't pass Constitutional muster. Or more appropriately the absolute disregard for our national and state constitutions. Unfortunately most of these issues start at home and at school. We have lost our identity, we have pushed away our faith, value and principles that were shown to us by the founding fathers. Too many people are looking towards a progressive movement in which they can pick and choose through our history to better suit their beliefs.

Alright I'm absolutely rambling now. It comes down to this I don't like it but I understand it and don't find it to be a hardship.
    Have a ahppy Easter

Quote Originally Posted by kht428 View Post
    You know what F it.
    Yes I am.
    If it keeps some asshat punk that was raised by uncaring or overcaring parents that never taught them the value of life, property, respect, or law, from getting a permit to carry their gun concealed then yeah I'm for it. With the abundance of little shits out there thinking their gangstas or just not showing respect for anyone I've pretty much lost all hope for the next generation. The extra step doesn't keep anyone from exercising their right to buy a firearm or carry it openly in the state of PA. If you would like to fund a lawsuit and move to Montco I'll happily stand up for you on it on principle but until then I don't mind it all. There are too many local incidents that never result in court hearings or convictions that would restrict ownership but would show an overall lack of respect for the law and people in general, so if we have one small hurdle to weed out some losers I don't mind. There are larger issues happening at this time that need to be addressed.
    Now on the flip side of that, I am sick and F'ng tired of new laws and hurdles that shouldn't pass Constitutional muster. Or more appropriately the absolute disregard for our national and state constitutions. Unfortunately most of these issues start at home and at school. We have lost our identity, we have pushed away our faith, value and principles that were shown to us by the founding fathers. Too many people are looking towards a progressive movement in which they can pick and choose through our history to better suit their beliefs.

Alright I'm absolutely rambling now. It comes down to this I don't like it but I understand it and don't find it to be a hardship.
    Have a ahppy Easter
    Thanks for the invite, but i will stay in an area where the law is followed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Yeah...wonderful people...threatened to arrest me...

Let them know they would make even more $$ with non-resident permits...

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...iffs-dept.html
    Hello all, new to the forums here.

Yeah, I agree.

I moved to MontCo in 1991 and a few years later got my LTCF and had to do the "balliwick" card with Douglas Twp. I didn't seem like a big deal at the time, dropped off the card and picked it up a few days later. After the first expiration the renewal went quick, easy, in and out. The deputies were pleasant and helpful.

But... Then I moved out of state for a couple of years, spent 2 1/2 miserable years in the 2A hating state of Wisconsin.

In '04 when I moved back to PA I landed a few hundred yards away from my previous residence in Berks Cty and went to renew. Well, no big deal... After all PA does NR out of state so why not out of county... right? Wrong, went to Norristown and found out that since I moved a couple of hundred yards away I could no longer have a MontCo LTCF... I would have to go to Reading if I wanted another LTCF.

Never did bother but I've been getting idea I should again, so I'll probably be going to Reading to get my LTCF the next time I get the chance. However it was a PITA and I found it disturbing that MontCo does their own little interpretation of the law and thus ignores the spirit of the law.

(Berks County)

Hello all, new guy here.

Yeah, I got my first LTCF about 15 or 16 years ago in MontCo and had to do the "bailiwick" card in Douglas Twp. I didn't think it was much of a big deal at the time, we were all still "amazed" that we could possibly carry concealed. I left the card at the station and came back a few days later and picked it up.

The first time I had to renew I was surprised how easy it was, in and out in ten minutes and the deputies in Norristown were helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

But then...

I spent 2 1/2 miserable years living in the land of 2A haters (Wisconsin)...

Came back to PA in 2004 and went to renew my LTCF.

You see before I lived in Gilbertsville (Douglas Twp), however when I returned to PA I landed a few hundred yards away in Douglas Twp Berks county...

Well, no big deal I thought... After all PA issues NR licenses so why would it matter what County I resided in... I was grandfathered....

WRONG!!!

I went to Norristown and tried to renew.
    Nope, couldn't help me. I would have to start all anew in Berks... I was a non-resident since I moved about 2,000 yards from where I lived before.

Well, I never did bothere, but I think I will soon. It's time to visit Reading and get a fresh LTCF.

Just a PITA.

I dunno, it just seams that MontCo by exploring the letter of the law, violates the spirit of the law IMHO.

Spoke my peace,

Vince Lyons

http://usacraft.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by twoeggsup; April 11th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    Hello all, new guy here.

Yeah, I got my first LTCF about 15 or 16 years ago in MontCo and had to do the "bailiwick" card in Douglas Twp. I didn't think it was much of a big deal at the time, we were all still "amazed" that we could possibly carry concealed. I left the card at the station and came back a few days later and picked it up.

The first time I had to renew I was surprised how easy it was, in and out in ten minutes and the deputies in Norristown were helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

But then...

I spent 2 1/2 miserable years living in the land of 2A haters (Wisconsin)...

Came back to PA in 2004 and went to renew my LTCF.

You see before I lived in Gilbertsville (Douglas Twp), however when I returned to PA I landed a few hundred yards away in Douglas Twp Berks county...

Well, no big deal I thought... After all PA issues NR licenses so why would it matter what County I resided in... I was grandfathered....

WRONG!!!

I went to Norristown and tried to renew.
    Nope, couldn't help me. I would have to start all anew in Berks... I was a non-resident since I moved about 2,000 yards from where I lived before.

Well, I never did bothere, but I think I will soon. It's time to visit Reading and get a fresh LTCF.

Just a PITA.

I dunno, it just seams that MontCo by exploring the letter of the law, violates the spirit of the law IMHO.

Spoke my peace,

Vince Lyons

http://usacraft.blogspot.com/
    They have no specific legal basis for not taking non-resident applications. In fact it could be challenged, problem is they won't even put it into the system for an official denial...now if they refused to take applications from minorites or women someone would be all over this shit....I see no difference.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TinGLOCK View Post
    Thanks, Ozone. Judging by a map, it looks like Phoenixville might be a good spot for me geographically: not too far from KOP and not too "busy" roadway-wise.

I'd like to join a private range once I get settled in PA. I see that Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club is in the area, but I also see that we have a 9-page thread on that place here on the forum. Time for some reading...
    I'm telling you..Phoenixville really came around. It's not like it was bad or anything..just very boring IMHO. I would take a hard look on living there. I almost moved there myself, but settled in on Royersford instead. For the first time in my life, I actually get to walk to a Pizza parlor or the ice cream store now. But once my house is built..it's back to the car again to get everywhere.

As far as private ranges go, I'm no help with that, as I don't know nothing about them. I won't join Lower Providence either, cause I just simply don't have the time to put in.
    As much as I can't stand French Creek's employee's behind the gun counter..I will shoot there.

(Montgomery County)

Cool. Thanks again, Ozone.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    This is crap. Not only is this not required as per the law, but IMHO (and I'm not a lawyer) this could be illegal as well. The application for an LTCF and related information pertaining to issued permits is supposed to be confidential. The local PD (with Philly as an exception) have no right to know that a person is applying for an LTCF, but in MontCo the sheriff's policy essentially provides the PD with this information. By requiring applicants to get a "check card", the Sheriff is indirectly forcing applicants to disseminate what's supposed to be confidential information, because if they choose not to get the check card he's denying them access to a license that, as per the law, they would likely be able to acquire.

Y'all in MontCo need to elect yourselves a new Sheriff, or push the one you have to obey the law.
    It is a bit inconvenient (I work in Philly and had to take time off from work to get the application, and more to drop off the check card at the local PD, and will have to take yet more time off to pick up the card once the local PD calls and says it's ready, and then still more time to go down to the courthouse again and finish the license process). And it appears to violate the letter of the law that says the license application is supposed to be uniform throughout the state.

But I suspect the sheriff would say the check card is covered under his duty to "investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety." I know John Durante, the current sheriff, slightly from my days at a former job in Norristown and I will try to raise it with him when I go back to the courthouse (after I get my license!), although I doubt he'll budge, even if sued.

Electing a new sheriff also is unlikely to change things -- in fact they very well may get worse. Montco is increasingly Demo-tilting and is turning into Philadelphia West, as far as politics go. Currently the county commissioners are led by RINO Jim Matthews, the brother of nationally despised TV blowhard Chris Matthews, and Democrat Joe Hoeffel, the ex-congressman who once introduced a bill in Congress to make antique firearms subject to the Gun Control Act and Brady law. Interestingly, John Durante is in a bit of a pissing match with Hoeffel and Matthews right now over the extent to which the commissioners govern employees in the sheriff's office, and I'm sure Hoeffel would take maximum media advantage of any effort that he could spin into making it look like Durante was making it easier to get gun permits. But I'll still raise the subject with Durante.

(Montgomery County)

So, Shiloh, what you're basically saying is that Montgomery County is lib'd up? Good grief; maybe I shouldn't move there.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TinGLOCK View Post
    So, Shiloh, what you're basically saying is that Montgomery County is lib'd up? Good grief; maybe I shouldn't move there.
    Hey TinGLOCK, come on up, we need more folks like you up here -- help us keep the libs at bay!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast