Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Modifying a SKS to make it legal for hunting

Does anyone know what is an acceptable modification to permit this rifle to be used for hunting. I called the PAGC and they said removing the operating rod was not enough. What is enough?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Modifying a SKS to make it legal for hunting

It's still a semi-auto firearm.

This was discussed a while back when someone asked about welding the gas valve in the "grenade launching" position(Yugo SKS)so that it would only function as a "single shot". (You'd have to pull the bolt back to eject and chamber another round)

Kinda' like saying can I use my AR15 if I only carry one round with me... still a semi-auto even though you've only got that one round you can shoot from it.
    I know it's not the best comparison in the world, but I hope it made some sense!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

The way I understand it, you could do it if you completely disable autoloading to the point that it can not be readily restored and it must be operated manually. That would probably mean welding a gas port shut or something like that. I'm no expert, but this does sound logical to me and I've known of a few M-1 Carbines that were converted to be "legal" to hunt with in this manner and no problems were encountered with them.
    Something else to consider:
    You should also expect to put up with the inconvenience of proving that it is disabled to the satisfaction of whomever is asking, and be prepared to deal with someone who isn't satisfied with your proof.
    Also, once you have it converted, it's converted. If you want to convert it back you have to try to reverse the process. Is it really worth it?
    In my opinion, if you want to hunt in Pa., get something that's legal in the first place and avoid the hassle.
    I know, this is more of an opinion than an answer, but it's what I have to offer.

I have used the sks for hunting in PA , the PA game com says the gun must be converted so that you can not readily convert it back into semi mod while in the field. Now with that in mind I once said to the guy that if the requirement is "you can not turn it into a illegal firearm while in the field , how come you aren't arresting the guys hunting small game with pump shot guns , because I can remove the plug easily while in the field" The game com's reply was simply " I was being a smart ass"
    Welding the gas port would be the safest "in court" thing to do ..... what I did was different and I have not been called on it yet and can not promise where it would go in court , but I was willing to "have my day in court" if it came to it.
    P.M me if you want to know what I did , but I offer no guarantee
    The game com also told me they knew of MULTIPLE people who welded their AR15 and hunted deer with it like that , I told them I thought they were full of crap that they knew of of many people ruining their AR15 just so they could shoot deer with a 223

(Delaware County)

Anyone else think it's kinda dumb to convert a semi-auto to single-shot?

You couln't pick up a Savage bolt gun or something? There are lots of inexpensive bolt guns that will be more accurate than an SKS, and you'll have a better platform for adding a scope.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Anyone else think it's kinda dumb to convert a semi-auto to single-shot?

You couln't pick up a Savage bolt gun or something? There are lots of inexpensive bolt guns that will be more accurate than an SKS, and you'll have a better platform for adding a scope.
    no, you're not alone.
    all that work, and trashing a gun, albeit a cheap one, just to use a 7.62X39 round? and there's nothing special about the round, sure it would work on deer....but so would 3006.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

Several decades ago the game commission would allow you to hunt with an M1 carbine with the gas piston reversed. Some time during the 1980's they ruled you must weld the gas port closed.
    I imagine as it has been suggested welding the gas port on a SKS would suffice. You should have picked up a pump AK when Century Arms was clearing them out cheap.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    no, you're not alone.
    all that work, and trashing a gun, albeit a cheap one, just to use a 7.62X39 round? and there's nothing special about the round, sure it would work on deer....but so would 3006.
    I have the gun and it has a scop on it, I only intended to use it to hunt wild pigs in Pa. I really dont want to buy another rifle for something I might never get a shot at. I removed the upper forearm that hold the gas piston and cylinder, tapped the gas port shroud for 1/8 pipe plug and plugged it. I think I will give it a try.

(Luzerne County)

As long as it can be reversed at home and is legal as far as the PGC goes I say go for it. Welding or ruining a semi just to make it legal is something else. Borrow a "legal" firearm from a local PFOA member if need be.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

If the pipe plug can be removed in the field , even if it requires a tool he does not have on hand , he could have trouble depending on the temperment of the bunny cop who he runs into

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast