Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Utah non-resident concealed firearm permit class! - Annapolis, Maryland

Proactive Shooters, LLC
    Firearms Safety Training & Instruction
    Richmond, Va.
    is proud to announce a special class....

The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit class!

Class Date: Saturday, May 9, 2009 from 10am - 4pm

Class Location: Masonic Lodge #89, 162 Conduit Street, Annapolis, Maryland 21401

A Utah non-resident concealed firearm permit is one of the most widely recognized carry permits in the United States. This 6 hour class meets the Utah requirement to apply for this highly sought after permit.

The cost of the class is $79.95. A student manual will be provided. Proactive Shooters will also supply the necessary fingerprint card (prints must be obtained elsewhere).

You must register and pay in advance to reserve a seat in this class. Registration can be conducted online by visiting our website link - http://proactiveshooters.com/proacti...-annapolis-md/

When you complete this online registration form, click "submit". You will then be redirected to a payment screen where you may pay with a credit/debit card. Credit card payments are processed through Paypal. You may use your Paypal account or simply choose the option to make a one time credit card payment without signing into Paypal.

If you wish to pay in another manner, you must mail check or money order for $79.95 to:

Proactive Shooters
    9702 Gayton Road, Suite 185
    Richmond, Va. 23238

As of right now, we are going to use May 1, 2009 as a tentative cut off date for registrations and payments. All payments must be received by this date.

If you have any questions, you may email us at info@proactiveshooters.com or call 804-307-8315

Default Re: Utah non-resident concealed firearm permit class! - Annapolis, Maryland

Why 6 hrs.?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Utah non-resident concealed firearm permit class! - Annapolis, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Why 6 hrs.?
    Ask Utah, it's their arbitrary number.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Ask Utah, it's their arbitrary number.
    Nope, UT say's 4 hrs.

(Westmoreland County)

UT stipulates the class must be no less than four hours long. This is what they feel is the necessary minimum amount of time to cover the material in their training guideline.

Instructors are free to add content which will undoubtedly exceed the four hour minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    UT stipulates the class must be no less than four hours long. This is what they feel is the necessary minimum amount of time to cover the material in their training guideline.

Instructors are free to add content which will undoubtedly exceed the four hour minimum.
    That's a better explanation.

(Allegheny County)

TonyF is absolutely correct, Utah mandates that course presentation takes a miimum of 4 hours. To be candid, this can be accomplished, but depending upon the overall experience level of your group it may only allow you to do little more than read through the state required course outline and the _extensive_ mandatory section on 30+ Utah and Federal laws and take very few questions or permit only limited discussion. I for one encourage discussion, often at times a bit off topic, as I find this is where we can often correct misconceptions.

Each instructor tailors the course, upon written approval from Utah, supplementing the state outline within their own abilities and experiences.

I'm listed by Utah as covering 5 states, the only out of state instructor listed by the state beyond their "home" state. I actually cover all or part of 8 states + D.C., and due to my two residences being located in southwest PA and southwest VA, often do so in areas where two or more state's borders meet, for example PA / OH / WV; VA / NC / TN, etc ... This means I must often thoroughly cover Utah law + Federal law + 2 or 3 or more state's laws. I also require class rosters in advance where attendees may list states where they have a second home, family, regular business travel, etc ... so that I can offer this material as part of their course.

My delivery of the reciprocity information (one line in the outline) and of where you cannot carry (an outline comprised of a minimum of 10 points that requires _substantial_ review, reference, citation and discussion) take over an hour each. As such, my presentation of the course takes 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 hours + adminstrative time for applications + fingerprinting time = 8 - 9+ hours.
    (Fingerprinting larger groups obviously takes more time)

I also choose to "translate" the Utah / Federal laws section so that attendees can cross reference Utah laws vs their home state or other location's laws, using Utah's as a template. (For example, Utah laws codified under the required course material for Utah Title 53 & 76 are roughly equivalent to Pennsylvania code under Title 18)
    Another section that needs "fleshing out" is the section on escalation of force / the force continuum, the class discusses or participated in several situational awareness and defensive scenarios.

Hope this helps the "differences" make more sense ... in my (humble) opinion, PAFOA users are fortunate as TonyF and js1050 (Jason S.) are both experienced, highly respected instructors and members of this community and are _incredibly_ valuable resources. I hope my course presentation is as well received as are their versions.

(apologies to ProShooter for briefly interrupting the thread, but it would not have made much sense if it was moved elsewhere mid-thread)
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; April 5th, 2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

Actually, Utah no longer requires a 4 hour minimum. They did away with that about 1 1/2 years ago.

Our class started out as a 5 hour class and after doing it each month and seeing the numbers of questions and discussions that take place, not to mention the signing/stamping of applications, we decided to list it as a 6 hour class. It helps that people expect to be there 6 hours rather than looking at their watches after 5 hours and making me as the instructor feel rushed.

(Allegheny County)

... from ProShooter ... Actually, Utah no longer requires a 4 hour minimum. They did away with that about 1 1/2 years ago.
    I received exactly the opposite info from the Utah folks, I believe it was the August 2007 instructor newsletter that reinforced the mandated 4 hour minimum (I'm traveling and dont have it handy for reference, perhaps it's still on their website) - but to be candid, with my course presentation and the admin / fingerprinting time, I'll never risk flirting with the 4 hour minimum.

... from ProShooter... Our class started out as a 5 hour class and after doing it each month and seeing the numbers of questions and discussions that take place, not to mention the signing/stamping of applications, we decided to list it as a 6 hour class. It helps that people expect to be there 6 hours rather than looking at their watches after 5 hours and making me as the instructor feel rushed.
    Completely agree. I send a course outline and expectations email outlining the material and timeline - and make no apologies for it. The "word of mouth" following the sessions serve as my endorsement.

Again, apologies for briefly interrupting your post here ProShooter.
    Now that I know of you folks, perhaps I can send you a few referrals.
    My second home is in southwest VA.
    As I am listed under Virginia, I often receive inquires from NoVa, Norfolk, Richmond, etc ... where it's not financially viable for me to offer the course to groups too small to offset my travel / hotel costs.

thanks for the courtesy of the discussion ... stay safe ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Instructor View Post
    I received exactly the opposite info from the Utah folks, I believe it was the August 2007 instructor newsletter that reinforced the mandated 4 hour minimum ...
    When I went to SLC for the instructor class in June of 2008, we were told that the 4 hr. minimum was gone. They said that 4 hrs. is a "suggestion" but that if an instructor can present all of the material in a satisfactory manner in less than 4 hours, there is no need to stretch things to make it 4 hours.

and thank you for the referrals. I'll do the same if I can. We usually stick to the Metro Richmond area but I do travel a bit (Maryland, Virginia BEach, etc)
    Last edited by ProShooter; April 7th, 2009 at 09:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast