Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default 1911 takedown tool question

A few evenings ago I disassembled a 1911 without using the takedown tool.

I removed the slide from the frame, then removed the guide rod & barrel.

3 minutes later it was back together.

I did some thinking about it today (I'm a weekend thinker) and started wondering if I screwed something up by not using the takedown tool.

The pistol "feels" the same when I rack the slide, and nothing went flying across the room when I took it apart.

So, did I make a big mistake? Is it ruined for life?

Thanks!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(York County)

Default Re: 1911 takedown tool question

i'm confused. I'm assuming your pistol has a bull barrel? It shouldn't hurt anything. as long as all the pieces go back in the right places your good. how you get there isn't as important.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    i'm confused. I'm assuming your pistol has a bull barrel? It shouldn't hurt anything. as long as all the pieces go back in the right places your good. how you get there isn't as important.
    Yes, it has a bull barrel. When I thought about it earlier today I wondered if something is amiss that I am unaware of.

So if I disassembled it and reassembled it without the takedown tool what is the purpose of the tool in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    A few evenings ago I disassembled a 1911 without using the takedown tool.

I removed the slide from the frame, then removed the guide rod & barrel.

3 minutes later it was back together.

I did some thinking about it today (I'm a weekend thinker) and started wondering if I screwed something up by not using the takedown tool.

The pistol "feels" the same when I rack the slide, and nothing went flying across the room when I took it apart.

So, did I make a big mistake? Is it ruined for life?

Thanks!
    Nope, you didn't. Sometimes with tighter fit barrels / bushings they can be hard to turn. I only use my takedown tool when my arthritis is acting up.... don't need it most days, just some when this getting old shiite gets to me
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    .... don't need it most days, just some when this getting old shiite gets to me
    Thank you Sir. Getting old shiite? Hell, you're just a puppy... Wait 'till you get to be MY age! LOL!!!

I think you are referring to the bushing. I am referring to the bull barrel where a takedown tool is nothing more than a bent paper clip that goes into a hole in the guide rod.

I'm confused...
    Last edited by Jailkeeper; April 4th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.

(Centre County)

I don't think I ever used any tool to take apart my 1911...
    I just pull back slide, and pull out the slide lock while holding slide..
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Susquehanna County)

What takedown tool? The only thing I've ever used was a bushing wrench and that only on my match pistols because the bushing is fitted so tightly to the slide.

Bear in mind though that's only for field strip to clean! If you want to detail strip, I really suggest you find a copy of the September 1971 version of (Army) FM 23-35 "Pistols and Revolvers". It shows how to detail strip using various parts of the pistol as "tools" with very good photos of disassembly and reassembly.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Blair County)

Brick ~ I am referring to a 1911 that does not have the bushing in the front of the barrel that needs turned.

I am referring to a bull barrel that has a little hole in the recoil rod where you insert a takedown tool before disassembling the pistol.

I'm still confused...

(Montgomery County)

I have been able to take apart my 3" Ultra Bull Barrel without the take down tool (bent paper clip)

Sometimes it is easier to do it with the tool... takes some practice, but possible to do it without the tool..

As long as everything goes back in ok... and not binding... everything seems ok... probably is.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Brick ~ I am referring to a 1911 that does not have the bushing in the front of the barrel that needs turned.

I am referring to a bull barrel that has a little hole in the recoil rod where you insert a takedown tool before disassembling the pistol.

I'm still confused...
    OK, I know what you're talking about, I tried a full length guide rod in one of my guns. It didn't need a take down tool, but I didn't like it, (it didn't improve performance and seemed to make assembly/disassembly more difficult) so I went back to the standard guide rod & spring.

In any event after you field strip, clean and reassemble your pistol get in the habit of running the safety checks. These are done with a cleared and verified unloaded pistol only and make sure you retain muzzle control!

Rack the slide to cock the hammer and to insure that the slide stop has been properly inserted through the barrel link. Release the slide from its furthest point and allow it to slam forward. The hammer should not fall.

Starting with the hammer down, thumb the hammer back, past the half cock position, but not quite to full cock and release the hammer. The hammer should stop in the half cock position. If it does not, it's time for a new hammer.

Cock the hammer, engage the thumb safety, squeeze trigger. The hammer must not fall.

With the hammer cocked and the thumb safety disengaged, and without engaging the grip safety, squeeze the trigger. The hammer must not fall.

With the hammer cocked, and the thumb safety disengaged, grip the butt as if to fire the pistol, and using the weak hand push the muzzle and slide slightly out of battery and squeeze the trigger. The hammer must not fall.

If you go through these you will have tested all of the "safety" features of the 1911 pistol. If any of them fail, it's time for a trip to the gunsmith.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast