Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default I inherited my couple of my Dad's Rifle

ok i have a quick question to everyone and maybe someone can help me out. Just recently, over my Birthday my dad braught over 2 rifles to give to me, my grandfathers compition .22 rifle, and a nice remington model 700 30-06 rifle. He is letting me "borrow them" but however i highly dont expect for him to ever ask for them back, since eventually way down the line i will be the sole owner of his entire collection. He currently Lives in north jersey and braught them to me here in Lower bucks county Pa, is there any legal issues i should be aware off before i take them to the range?
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Armstrong County)

You're OK with fed and PA law. Only possible problem is if they were registered to your Dad in Jersey. You might need to do an official transfer on account of that?

(Bucks County)

yes i do believe, the remington 30-06 is under his name, i dont think the 22 is though, so for me, if they are under his name, i would have to get them transfered?
    Drak
    Last edited by DrakinClaw; August 13th, 2006 at 09:24 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

If it's at all like registering a handgun then I don't think you need to do any paperwork. As long as the weapon goes to an immediate family member then you're OK. Unless the law has changed since 2 years ago when I had my Dad put my 92FS under his name.

(Bucks County)

sweeeeeeeeet thats just the answer i was looking for because iv been itching realy bad to try these two rifles out! does anyone also know about any numbers to the state of PA for questions about rifles and firearms? im sorry if thats a redundent question....
    Drak

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    ok i have a quick question to everyone and maybe someone can help me out. Just recently, over my Birthday my dad braught over 2 rifles to give to me, my grandfathers compition .22 rifle, and a nice remington model 700 30-06 rifle. He is letting me "borrow them" but however i highly dont expect for him to ever ask for them back, since eventually way down the line i will be the sole owner of his entire collection. He currently Lives in north jersey and braught them to me here in Lower bucks county Pa, is there any legal issues i should be aware off before i take them to the range?
    I had a similar situation last year when my mother brought me some of my Dad's guns (Remington 700 .243, Winchester 94 .3.-30, 20-ga shottie, and his WW2-era S&W Victory model .38). I called the county sheriff's office to check, and since it was parent to child transfer, NO paperwork at all required including on the .38 (this despite the fact that they were coming from California). Since your Dad gave them to you, you are "in the clear".
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Delaware County)

In PA we have the PIN, Pennsylvania Instant Check. In the PIN, the "person" not the "gun" is checked. The long guns mentioned in the thread starter are protected and do not need to be registered/submitted to the state.

For your own protection a bill of sale or transfer from Dad to you would be a good idea.

Best regards,
    chalmitch

(Philadelphia County)

HEy guys..

would all this work the other way around too?

If I want to buy a shotgun for my parents, (Im in PA, they are in Delaware), theres no FFL transfer necesary or any of that other nonsense, correct?

I could just buy it in PA, and bring it over to DE and leave it for them without breaking any of gazillions laws out there?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    HEy guys..

would all this work the other way around too?

If I want to buy a shotgun for my parents, (Im in PA, they are in Delaware), theres no FFL transfer necesary or any of that other nonsense, correct?

I could just buy it in PA, and bring it over to DE and leave it for them without breaking any of gazillions laws out there?
    I'm not so sure about this one. I'm pretty sure there's a question on the form regarding is this purchase for you? Additionally, I think going out of state may be an issue. I'm sure someone with more to offer on this will chime in, maybe I'm wrong?
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.