Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question Refinishing my Taurus?

I have a Taurus pt99 which I've have nearly 13 years now and it's starting to look a little rough. I have heard people debate the quality of Taurus weapons, I don't know about the other models but this pt99 has served me well and I trust it's operation in a critical situation. It wasn't expensive but has been a good gun.

I'd like to have it refinished and retire it, to pass on someday

I have never had to have a gun refinished before. What does such a thing cost? Does anyone know a guy who's good at it?

The frame is aluminum or alloy, and the barrel and slide are steel. Will that affect the end result or can they match these like the factory finish?

Thanks for any input.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Refinishing my Taurus?

My Taurus is coming up on a year of ownership, and I love it. The only misfires have been my own stupidity/bad powder load.

I have fired over 2000 rounds through it, and how many people can say that about their weapons. My 24/7 rocks.

Good luck on the refinish. I have nothing else to offer. Besides, if my pistol ever breaks, she is going to Florida to test the lifetime warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Chester County)

Just a word of warning. You may void the warranty if you refinish it. Read the fine print first.

You will void the finish warranty, which is 1 year. The parts warranty will not be voided by refinishing the firearm.

I like Norrell's Moly Resin and KG Gunkote is very similar. KG will offer you more color options. You spray it on with an airbrush and bake in the oven for a little over an hour at 300 degrees. It sounds like the pistol will need to be sand blasted to remove all of the finish. If you want the entire pistol refinished with a Norrell's, hard chrome, or KG...you are looking at around $200 for the complete pistol. Slides normally run anywhere from $55-100.
    Last edited by aubie515; May 5th, 2007 at 06:28 PM.

(Luzerne County)

could you send it to taurus to have it refinished?

just a thought.

Taurus only warrants their finish for a year...and he has stated that he's had the pistol for several years. Taurus would refinish the pistol, but would probably charge him a fee. I for one wouldn't rely on Taurus to refinish the pistol. My PT1911 had a poor finish from Taurus before I even fired one shot through the pistol.

(Lancaster County)

Update on this:

Basically I've had this gun a long time and was looking a bit poorly. Also the rear adjustable sight was fracken fubar-ed {needed reset before each shoot, years of getting bumped against stuff and bad design.}

I found a slide on the net from a PT92 with fixed sights, the finish is much better than the original. Basically killed 2 birds with one stone.

I'm thinking about stripping the old slide and refinishing it myself with gunkote or similar product.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.