Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Open Carry while hiking in PA... advice needed

My first post! woo hoo!!!

this thread is just a modified version of "PGC and Open Carry" which I found easily by searching. that's a real old thread and has good info directed at hunters (from what I read). i don't want to resurrect it just to clutter it. I'm confused on a few things discussed there.

to start off, any advice given should be directed towards someone who does not yet have a PA license to carry. i meet all the requirements for it, but have not yet gotten it. also, my questions pertain specifically to open carry on State Game Lands but information regarding rules/regs for other areas of PA (such as Weiser State Forest, Swatara State Park, Delaware Water Gap, etc.) would be a great help too!

I hike the Appalachian trail very often, both during hunting seasons and more frequently in the summer. As I'm sure everyone knows - the AT goes through many areas of the SGLs.

i want to open carry my Sig in a holster on the hip belt of my pack... normal configuration for a right hand draw, nothing out of the ordinary. Are there any potential gray areas concerning the firearm being mounted on my pack instead of directly on my person, even though I'll be wearing my pack most of the time? What about having it holstered inside my tent at night? For reference - "Law for Backpackers 101, from WhiteBlaze.net, specifically sections 4 and 5.

In PA as a "thru-hiker" (point A to point B, rather than point A to B, then back to A), do my pack and erected tent truly serve as my home and would I then have the same gun laws applied as any of us do in our own homes? i.e. - store it anywhere?

Additionally, are there any tidbits of advice related to what exactly is concealed carry and what is open carry? does open carry literally mean that every bit of the gun/holster must be visible or can it be partially covered? I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a thin pack-material half-holster for the holster (with the grip exposed) to keep excess muck off of the setup. is this venturing into the realm of 'concealed', requiring the permit?

I realize you guys don't necessarily know anything too in depth about hiker specific things, but any help you could give would be great. While I wait for responses, I'll continue to search. Thanks in advance!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Open Carry while hiking in PA... advice needed

I just did a search and found your thread. Did you ever get any info?