Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Bucks County)

Default Colt Pony 380 value

Hello,
    Hope this is the right place for this question.

I have brushed nickle colt pony DAO that I purchased years ago for my wife. Finally got her to the range and she didn't like it at all. There was no recoil at all but the trigger pull was crazy long. She fired 12 & I shot 6. All I could think of when shooting it was " will this thing ever fire?" She tried my P226 and my colt mustang. Both of them she loved and they are much more accurate. Now I want to sell it and get her something else. I don't want to be a fool and be taken advantage of by a local shop.
    I just don't have any idea of it's value. I am shocked at some of the prices I see on the web for it. Some of them are over $1,000. Could this be?
    I only paid about $400.00 for it years ago. It has 18 rounds thru it.

Thanks for any help anyone may give.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Colt Pony 380 value

What I see in my book is: Colt Pony - .380 ACP, DAO, 2 3/4 " barrel, bobbed hammer, 6 rnd mag, stainless construction, brushed finish, fixec sights, black composition grips. Unless it is the Pony Pocketlite Lightweight, then it is aluminum and stainless. In 100% condition (according to the Blue Book of Gun Values) it is worth $600, 98% - $500, 95% - $400.

Hope this helps.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bedford County)

If you have a Colt Pony it is all stainless. The Pocketlite version is a stainless slide on a alloy frame. There were no nickle plated Pony pistols that I know of.

The trigger on the Pony is a pain in the ass. And there is nothing that can be done to improve it enough for a woman with weak hands. The Pony uses a pig tail trigger spring held in place by the grip panel. No known company makes a spring for it. A polish job helps...but not much.

As for Blue Book pricing... throw that out when it comes to Colt pistols no longer made.

A Colt Pony is worth whatever people are willing to pay. And yes, last time I looked them up people were paying $750 + for them. A gun shop will give you used Blue Book price.

Post it for sale on Gunbroker and start it out at $600. It will bring every penny I'm sure.

I have the Pony, Pony Pocketlite, Mustang, Mustang Pocketlite and .380 Govt. A few of the factory boxes still have price tags of $389 on them. I could get $700 each easy today.

Hell I paid $500 for my Anaconda, and they bring $1000 today.

I blew $900 on ammo this month or I would consider taking it off of you.

You have a rather rare gun, only made for a few years - Dont give it away!

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up Re: Colt Pony 380 value

Wow,
    That's good info.

As you said, she had difficulty finnishing the trigger pull.

I really appreciate you guys giving your advice. This does seem like the place to get helpful info from friendly folks.

Thanks

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by James Luning View Post
    Wow,
    That's good info.

As you said, she had difficulty finnishing the trigger pull.

I really appreciate you guys giving your advice. This does seem like the place to get helpful info from friendly folks.

Thanks

BTW - Welcome to PAFOA!!

(Montgomery County)

Buckmark is right on the money - take his advice.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    If you have a Colt Pony it is all stainless. The Pocketlite version is a stainless slide on a alloy frame. There were no nickle plated Pony pistols that I know of.

The trigger on the Pony is a pain in the ass. And there is nothing that can be done to improve it enough for a woman with weak hands. The Pony uses a pig tail trigger spring held in place by the grip panel. No known company makes a spring for it. A polish job helps...but not much.

As for Blue Book pricing... throw that out when it comes to Colt pistols no longer made.

A Colt Pony is worth whatever people are willing to pay. And yes, last time I looked them up people were paying $750 + for them. A gun shop will give you used Blue Book price.

Post it for sale on Gunbroker and start it out at $600. It will bring every penny I'm sure.

I have the Pony, Pony Pocketlite, Mustang, Mustang Pocketlite and .380 Govt. A few of the factory boxes still have price tags of $389 on them. I could get $700 each easy today.

Hell I paid $500 for my Anaconda, and they bring $1000 today.

I blew $900 on ammo this month or I would consider taking it off of you.

You have a rather rare gun, only made for a few years - Dont give it away!
    I have one. Did not know they were all that rare. Great pocket gun.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

My Mustang Pocketlite is my daily carry gun. People are always amazed at how little felt recoil there is compared to every other .380 out there. Even the rather hefty Sig 232 is snappy compared to the Pocketlite (blowback vs locked breech).

The next question I get is ALWAYS 'How much for me to get one of those?'

They then get shocked when I tell them that they are out of production and sky high costs. Despite this, I have two buddies scouring the shows and shops for ones in excellent shape.

You should EASILY fetch North of $600 for that fine pistol.

(Centre County)

I agree with the other posters about how much they will sell for. I was just giving what the BBGV says about it. Any gun that was a limited production will almost always fetch more than that "book" value. Also the market comes into play. The more desirable the gun the more it will sell for. If I were to be selling I would look at the auction sites and see what the going price seems to be and then list accordingly. DO NOT TAKE IT TO A GUN SHOP!!!! They will never give you what the current rate is. They will try to buy it for as little as possible and so shops may try to convince you that it is worth less because of blah, blah, blah, just to try to get it cheap. They know what it's going to sell for so sell it yourself, you'll be better off.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Hi - I have a colt Pony Pocketlite and wonder if the colt mustang pocketlite mags fit.
    Since you have both it would surely help me if you would please answer.
    tks Bruce gb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast