Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default New to reloading, getting a little lost...

OK, so I broke down and decided to start reloading pistol ammo. (all my rifles are commie guns and my ammo pile for them is all steel cased)

Personally, I shoot 9x18 makarov and 9mm. The guys I shoot with all shoot the same stuff, plus .40 S&W and .45.

I can see myself reloading all four of those calibers because their brass gets swept up with all of mine, so I might as well.

I've got most of what I need to get started, but I can't figure out what powder to buy. Most stores are so low on stock right now that there aren't a lot of choices, and they're so busy nobody's got time to talk.

And so I turn to the forum...

All I want to do is reload my ammo to simple factory specs. I'm not looking to do anything crazy.

If possible, (or sane) I'd like to load the 9mm with 124 grn bullets similar to NATO specs. My CZ seems to like that better than the lighter factory loading.

Can anyone recommend a powder (or powders) that will work for those calibers?

Again, I want to keep it simple and safe, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: New to reloading, getting a little lost...

I like Winchester 231 and Alliant Unique for 9mm Luger. Never loaded for 9mm Makarov. If you don't already have one, get a recently published handloading manual. Never use anybody else's load data unless you can verify that it's safe.

(Delaware County)

Unique, 231 & titegroup seem to be a favorite for pistol powders. I personally use Unique in my 9mm.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Chester County)

Link to a site with list of "duplicate" loads of standard military rounds:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellq.htm#duplicate

USE WITH CAUTION THIS LOAD IS OVER MAX PUBLISHED LOAD:
    9 mm (M882)
    124 gr FMJ
    6.4 gr Accurate #5 or 8 gr BlueDot
    1230 fps ±50

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure as I get into it more I'll end up with a bunch of different powders etc. I'm just trying to figure out which one to start with.

Everybody seems to have mentioned Unique, and Winchester 231. I've found some Unique, but haven't seen any Winchester in stock anywhere, so I'm thinking I'll start with the Unique.

Will the Unique powder be ok to use for .40 &.45, or do I need something different for those?

Also, the 9x18 is just a little hotter than a .380, think it'll be ok there?

(Luzerne County)

You really need to look at manuals. All the major powder manufacturers websites have load data. If you find a powder that is available, check on their website and see if they have recipies for what you want to load.
    I don't understand what you meant about the 9x18 being hotter than a 380.
    I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by bric2000 View Post
    You really need to look at manuals. All the major powder manufacturers websites have load data. If you find a powder that is available, check on their website and see if they have recipies for what you want to load.
    I don't understand what you meant about the 9x18 being hotter than a 380.
    I agree 100% with your advice to look at manuals. (Plural).
    I think he's referring to the fact that the 9X18 is longer than .380 (9X17), slightly larger bullet diameter, and generally speaking, has slightly more muzzle velocity than the .380 in most cases, but not all. (Different powders make a difference). Overall I guess you could say that it is a little "hotter" in that respect. (muzzle velocity).

Not to split hairs or say that I'm right about anything, but by my definition of hot, a hot load for the .380 will have lower muzzle velocity than a mild load for a 9mm Luger using a bullet of the same weight. I relate the term 'hot' to chamber pressure rather than muzzle velocity.
    If I'm comparing 2 loads for the same cartridge I'll probably find that higher pressure usually equates to higher muzzle velocity therefore seeming to make both definitions of hot seem interchangeable, but that isn't always true.
    I know others will have different opinions/definitions and I'm not here to argue.

Anyhow, back to the original question; I saw loads listed for all 3 of your 9mm cartridges as well as .40 and .45 using Unique powder.
    It may not be the optimum powder for all of the loading you want to do, but it certainly will be usable for all of them. There are other powders that will be equally as versatile.

Let me say this again because it's important:
    Look at some loading manuals, decide which bullets you want to use, look at the manuals again. Find loads that meet your needs, look at the powders that are recommended. Find a powder that is common to most or all of the loads you want to create. Have a second and third choice in mind in case you can't find the powder you're looking for. (You may have to make slight changes in your bullet choices depending on what powder is available at the time.) Start with that. As you get more experience you'll want to try different powders for different loads. As time goes by you'll be able to find and afford the other powders you want to try.
    Be patient, be careful, compare load data in different manuals, keep notes, and stick to the loads published in reputable manuals.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    OK, so I broke down and decided to start reloading pistol ammo. (all my rifles are commie guns and my ammo pile for them is all steel cased)

Personally, I shoot 9x18 makarov and 9mm. The guys I shoot with all shoot the same stuff, plus .40 S&W and .45.

I can see myself reloading all four of those calibers because their brass gets swept up with all of mine, so I might as well.

I've got most of what I need to get started, but I can't figure out what powder to buy. Most stores are so low on stock right now that there aren't a lot of choices, and they're so busy nobody's got time to talk.

And so I turn to the forum...

All I want to do is reload my ammo to simple factory specs. I'm not looking to do anything crazy.

If possible, (or sane) I'd like to load the 9mm with 124 grn bullets similar to NATO specs. My CZ seems to like that better than the lighter factory loading.

Can anyone recommend a powder (or powders) that will work for those calibers?

Again, I want to keep it simple and safe, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you feel like driving to Lebanon, Shyda's still have a nice powder selection.

Go to:

http://www.hodgdon.com/

And check for loads and powder. But it's still best to get the books. You will learn so much. Welcome to the dark side.

(Susquehanna County)

Before you make any decisions on components, go out and buy 2 reloading manuals. Any two, and bounce the information off each other, but be sure to read the introductions and the sections on powders, and other components. Speer, Lyman, Hodgden, Shooter's Bible, Sierra, Hornady. All produce pretty good manuals, you'll find some differences though because the different outfits use different test methods. For example Speer uses exemplar firearms for velocity testing and test fixtures for pressure tests, while Hodgden uses the pressure fixtures for both velocity and pressure. The result is Hodgden publishes velocities that you will never reach with your guns, but you can still trust thier data.

Winchester 231 is a good powder adaptable to many handgun calibers, but so is Bullseye (dirty), AA#5 (fairly clean, meters very well).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast