Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Finishing an 80% complete AR receiver

Has anyone here ever finished your own lower receiver for an AR? I know its not the cheapest method but i think it would be fun to just build an AR from the ground up and finish the receiver yourself. Just wanna test the water before i decide to start ordering things.

So anyone had an expirence with one?

Edit and to add in here other than just for the fun of building; is there any other reason to not to buy a parts kit?
    Last edited by Kenshin; April 27th, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

Default Re: Finishing an 80% complete AR receiver

I've been thinking about getting one or two unfinished receivers as well. I'm curious about how much machining is involved.

(Beaver County)

I built one. It's pretty easy, just put the parts in, I follow a book to do it, The Complete AR. The lower parts kit didn't come with installation instructions.

The only reason to not buy a parts kit, I've only built one and I used a parts kit. Unless you decied to put in a jewl trigger, don't know if the lower parts kit is cheaper than buying individually, less trigger.

No machining involved. Hammer, drift pin puches, allen wrench, oil and litheum grease. Depending on the stock, couple of screw drivers or wrench-to tighen nut on collapsable stocks.

(Berks County)

So finishing the receiver isnt much of a problem. I think ill get one then and work on it at some point.

How about completing the upper and barreling and everything to finish an upper receiver?
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(York County)

Putting together a lower receiver from a stripped receiver and a parts kit is very straight-forward, however an 80% complete receiver is a different story. An 80% needs holes to be drilled and/or tapped.

If I understand correctly, 80% receivers are technically not a "firearm", meaning they can be purchased without paperwork, etc. whereas a complete stripped lower receiver is the "firearm" of the AR and would need to be purchased the same way you would buy a rifle (or pistol if it's going to be an AR15 pistol).

(York County)

Here is a link to a person that gives instructions on finishing an 80% receiver: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=210572

Unless you have the tools and desire to build from an 80% receiver, you'd probably be better off buying a complete receiver - it's just as cheap and much easier.

(Berks County)

Well i plan to buy a complete receiver first and go from there i was just looking at the finishing of an 80% reciever for the fun of it. Just something to do to pass the time. Thanks for the link btw.