Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Question about reaming 5.56 primer pockets

Hey guys,
    I'm reloading on a pretty tight budget, so I can't quite afford a super swage yet. For right now, I'm just reaming out my primer pockets with a countersink. My question is this: how much material should I be taking off? I'm generally trying to just take enough to take off the crimp. This isn't really an exact science though, so sometimes a little more gets taken. How much is too much?
    Proverbs 3:5-6 - Feedback:http://goo.gl/S0DfS

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question about reaming 5.56 primer pockets

I also use a countersink and cut enough to get a Primer Pocket Uniformer Tool in to confirm a primer is going in with out too much trouble.

(Somerset County)

Get a chamfer tool for VLD bullets, they will bottom out before you ream too much.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/342...-very-low-drag

Take the cutter head out of the handle, put it in your cordless drill and go to work.

Dale

(Schuylkill County)

I use that lyman tool on my 5.56 brass with good results. Very easy to use even by hand.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mschoono View Post
    Hey guys,
    For right now, I'm just reaming out my primer pockets with a countersink. My question is this: how much material should I be taking off? I'm generally trying to just take enough to take off the crimp. This isn't really an exact science though, so sometimes a little more gets taken. How much is too much?
    I have been using a counter sink for about twenty five years and it works great for removing the crimp ring on 5.56, 7.62, and 50 BMG. I chamfer the pocket until the crimp ring is gone.

(Blair County)

I just now got the lyman hand tool and did 1000 brass, havent primed them yet though so not sure how it did. Before that I was just giving two turns of my chamfer/debur tool for the neck. I read somewhere that it is the thickest part of the case so there isnt much worry about taking too much. If the lyman tool is any indication it barely removed any material.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify: my main concern is being able to tell if I've taken off too much material. I mean, if the primer is seated securely, is that enough? I don't want to take off too much and risk having some sort of explosion.
    Proverbs 3:5-6 - Feedback:http://goo.gl/S0DfS

(Blair County)

Im no expert, but I dont think you can take too much (within reason). Id be more worried about the primer being loose and blowing out of the pocket...not the side of the pocket giving out because you trimmed too much. Im givin to believe a primer getting pushed out the back of the case is very nasty as some of the gases and explosion of the bullet going off will come back into the action if its a semi. On bolt guns I think it can damage the bolt.
    Two light turns of my chamfer tool made it so you could barely feel the primer seating. The new lyman tool I got took off specs of metal...Ive yet to seee how they work when I try to prime some, but it was much less then I took off with the chamfer tool, Ive fired 200 of the chamfer tool ones and not had an issue.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mschoono View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify: my main concern is being able to tell if I've taken off too much material. I mean, if the primer is seated securely, is that enough? I don't want to take off too much and risk having some sort of explosion.
    Just chamfer the pocket enough to remove the crimp ring. It will put a nice 45 degree edge on the pocket making it easier to seat the primers.

(Somerset County)

That's the beauty of the VLD chamfer, it hits the bottom of the primer pocket, you can't cut too much away from the case head which may leave the some of the primer unsupported.

Regular chamfer tools and countersinks cut at a wider angle, you can overcut with them.

Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast