Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reloading Scale is it me or

I am looking for and accurate digitail scale and do not want to spend a bunch. I want to know if I am missing something it seems like I can get a much more accurate scale for a lot less money if it does not say reloading on it. Jewerly scales most measure grains and get +/- .02 while from the reloading companys they are 2 to 3 times the price and get +/- .1 Is there anything wrong with just getting a jewelry scale or am I missing something.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Reloading Scale is it me or

Nothing wrong with a jewelry scale. Make sure it has enough range as you may want to weigh heavier stuff (or more than one thing). +/- 0.1 grain is typically good enough and reloading scales will go up pretty high.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

I used a beam scale for years and kicked this around for some time before I got the RCBS 1500., right or wrong, I felt that with the reloading scale there is the liability factor built in, that if a jewelry scale screws you up , well its not made for that .plus I spent hours reading reviews and they all said the RCBS was the best quality, and price. Plus later you can add the powder dump.

(Berks County)

Make sure whatever you get measures in grains, not just grams.

"It is what it is". As previously stated, jewelry scales are made for jewelry. I'm sure they would work fine? I would hope that honest people that enjoy the reloading hobby would not look to blame others for their own mistakes. I still have faith in honest people!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I've used beam scales since before oil-damp. I find that the beam-type reloading scale as popularly manufactured by Herters, Pacific, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, et al, work well for me. Their range and their accuracy are within my usual limits, which jewelery scales might not be.

I have used electronic scales (but not for reloading) - precision lab scales with multiple print-outs, functions, and so forth - and they may lend themselves to the operator inadvertently pushing the wrong button or recalling an inappropriate function, thus giving an erroneous charge, while lending the indication that all is well.

Personally, I think there is much merit to the "KISS" paradigm. (Keep It Simple, Sir), and the common beam balances are straightforward, unambiguous, direct and thoroughly accurate for the purpose intended. And way less expensive.

Flash

(Schuylkill County)

Scales are a science. No one scale is accurate over its range, only the middle 3rd or the scale.

You should be loading by VOLUME, not weight. More accurate.. always has been, always will be.

(Chester County)

Can anyone recommend a good scale I've read some mixed reviews on a few scales. Just looking to get some input on scale people like and dislike.

(Wayne County)

I own both beam and digital. You can never be to carefull. Pick your poison when it comes to brands. You have deep pockets buy the best, if your on a buget most scales will do.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by .45gunguy View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good scale I've read some mixed reviews on a few scales. Just looking to get some input on scale people like and dislike.
    I have an RCBS beam scale (made by Ohaus) I picked up at a gun show at a good price. I'm happy with it.

One point everyone is missing ... the cheapest scale can be just as accurate as the most expensive ... if it's calibrated. Make sure you get a set of check weights and use them.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast