Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Carrying a firearm without a license?

Mods; Feel free to move this to wherever you feel it fits best.

I'm not sure where to put it, there are a few threads already going that this could relate to. The basic premise is carrying without a license.

I saw this in The Patriot News a few days ago.
    This man is charged with several offenses. They all seem appropriate except one, and it might be the wording the reporter used, the simple omission of a key word or two, or it might be a bogus charge thrown in to intimidate or confuse.

"carrying a firearm without a license"
    It's made to sound as though you aren't allowed to carry a firearm without a license. No mention is made of concealed. "former convict not to possess a firearm" should preclude his ability to get a license, but that isn't my question here. Without regard to the other charges, how is carrying a firearm without a license a legitimate charge, as stated here, if open carry is legal?
    Or is it a charge that can be legitimately added in some situations?

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...080.xml&coll=1
    CARLISLE
    Man sought in gun incident at Dickinson
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007
    From staff reports

Carlisle police are looking for an Enola man they have charged with firing a handgun in the presence of Dickinson College students who were leaving a music contest Saturday night while the man's rap group was preparing to perform.

John W. Balkcom, 26, confronted the students in the parking lot of The Depot, a college entertainment facility, produced a handgun and fired four shots, police said. No one was injured, they said.

Balkcom is charged with recklessly endangering another person, terroristic threats, carrying a firearm without a license, causing a catastrophe, former convict not to possess a firearm and disorderly conduct, police said.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Carrying a firearm without a license?

Open carry is legal without a license, but the article doesn't mention that he was open carrying, it merely states he "produced a handgun".

If he was carrying concealed and didn't have an LTC, he can be charged with such.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

in addition to what CR said, the media often just plain gets things wrong. i've even seen articles where they tried to say someone was charged in PA with having an unregistered gun.

we really don't have any idea what the actual charges are.

(York County)

We may never find out, but I'd wager the gun was, in fact, concealed. For one thing, the guy was a felon who cannot possess a firearm (legally). I doubt if he was stupid enough to be carrying openly.
    The other thing, as a rap type, he was probably carrying "gangsta" style (which I've only seen on TV and the movies). That's a guess, of course.

No offense to mauser...but considering the other charges against this guy...this is kind of a stupid question.

(Lebanon County)

Talking Re: Carrying a firearm without a license?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    We may never find out, but I'd wager the gun was, in fact, concealed. For one thing, the guy was a felon who cannot possess a firearm (legally). I doubt if he was stupid enough to be carrying openly.
    The other thing, as a rap type, he was probably carrying "gangsta" style (which I've only seen on TV and the movies). That's a guess, of course.

No offense to mauser...but considering the other charges against this guy...this is kind of a stupid question.
    No offense taken Roy.
    After I made the post and left for work I figured I'd get that kind of response.
    I did mention that there were several legitimate charges including
    "former convict not to possess a firearm" should preclude his ability to get a license, but that isn't my question here.
    I didn't think it through well enough to get my point across when I posted, but the reason I posted this is because I see that charge reported that way quite often.
    "carrying a firearm without a license."
    Given the circumstances, I'd bet that he was carrying illegally, but to see it printed that way gives the impression that it's not legal for anyone to carry without a license.
    Whether it's reported to the media that way, or the media choses to report it to us that way, it sounds as though it isn't legal to carry a firearm without a license in Pa. That's where misinformation and wrong opinions come from. There are discussions in more than one thread here right now on that very subject. Too many people don't know what's legal and what isn't, and when something like that is printed it reaffirms their opinion that it must not be legal, ..at all.
    Well it certainly is legal to carry without a license, but not concealed. Not if you've forfeited your rights by running afoul of the law. Not if you're in Philly...
    Do you see what I'm getting at? There is enough confusion and uncertainty surrounding current law as it is, then you see misleading stuff in the paper.
    That just gets the "other side" fired up even more.
    I've had people sound amazed when they asked me if it's really legal to reload ammunition. When I tell them that I cast some of my own bullets I've been asked if I'm afraid they'll blow up when I'm handling them. Too many people don't have a clue, and the media isn't helping the situation.
    OK, bring it on.. I ramble on and repeat myself, but I just had to vent.
    I feel better now.