Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New to reloading, getting a little lost...

My favorite is Titegroup. It's provided the best accuracy, is the cleanest burning, and most consistent velocities. It's also supposed to be less temperature sensitive, and less sensitive to the powder's position in the case, which probably explains the superior consistency in velocity.
    Others I like are Bullseye and Unique
    Lots of folks swear by Winchester W231, but I'm just not a fan.

I have really been wanting to try Accurate Arms AA5 and/or AA7. Looking at the reloading manuals, they seem to provide good velocities at sane pressures, and seem quite versatile. I'd be interested in any input others had.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lancaster County)

More great info, thanks again.

Yes, I do plan on buying and reading at least two reloading manuals before I actually load up anything.

My kit came today and I'm sure it's going to take me a while just to figure out how to put the damn thing together, I'm just trying to get some ideas as to what to stock up on because it's looked like supplies are getting limited.

(Allegheny County)

I use Bullseye and 231 for makarov loads. Usually use 231 most of the time. It make a really nice load with Berry's Bullets and Winchester WSP's. Its a little snappy but very manageable and I enjoy shooting them. They work well in any of the Makarov's (Russ, German, and Bulg.) and not bad in the Hung. PA-63. Being that the PA is alloy frame its got a little more snap to it but still works fine. Also if you have a hard time getting the casings for the 9x18 you can always trim a 9mm casing. They work just fine. :-) For other loads I'm using mostly 231 also but I have made some very "light" 9mm loads for my PF9 using Bullseye because the 231 I was using for my other 9mm's was a little too snappy for such a small gun. I also use Unique for .45LC and .38 spec. But as others have said, get a few books that will get you started and then tailor it to your preference afterward.
    Last edited by PeskyGee; April 2nd, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

(York County)

unique is useful, but a bit dirtier than the ball powders. blue dot is also good, a little slower burning. my fav load for 45 acp in a S&W25 is 9.0 grs under a 250 gr cast keith type, for about 1100 fps. too hot for an auto, but would knock a whitetail down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12