Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default best inexpensive hunting/target/range rifle?

I'm looking to get into long distance target shooting, as well as getting back into hunting (mainly deer). So therefore I'm looking to get a new rifle to replace the old one I sold.

I'm trying to stay with a .308 or 7mm rem mag and also trying to stay in the 500-600 dollar range. I know accuracy will suffer, but I would like to shoot sub MOA.

I am looking at the Savage 10, because I heard good things about their accutriggers and now with the accustocks. The only downfall is the weight at 8.5 without glass.

However, I was recommended to look at a Mossberg 4x4 (as they are about 2lbs lighter) or 100ATR with their LBA trigger system, as well as a Marlin and Tikka.

I will be going to Cabela's to get a feel for them, but that doesn't tell all. I would like to know what brand has the best stock trigger and accuracy. I'm looking for opinions on these as far as reliability, accruacy (with good ammo), as well as weight.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by 1990dtgl98; March 31st, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: best inexpensive hunting/target/range rifle?

Can't help to much but when you say long distance range, what kind of distance are you thinking about. This will greatly help people give you better answers. People have different ideas of long range.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lancaster County)

Ah yes, forgot to add that! Knew there was something.

For hunting deer, it'll be within 200 yards.

For target and range fun, up to 800 yards (friend owns lands in the mountains. It's the longest stretch while still providing a safe backdrop (60 degree hill) and still remaining on his property.) Probably won't shoot 800 yards every weekend, but 300-400 yards regularly is not out of the question.

(Montgomery County)

*coughcough*MOSINNAGANT91/30*cough*
    Use the $400 left over to buy tons of ammo! hahaha

Seriously though, I think the best idea would be to just get the one that feels the most comfortable when you hold it, because it matters not if a gun is super accurate and ultra cheap, if you can't shoulder it comfortably why even bother?

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtus985 View Post
    *coughcough*MOSINNAGANT91/30*cough*
    Use the $400 left over to buy tons of ammo! hahaha
    Ill second that one. Russians used 'em as a sniper riffle, 'ought to work for bambi.

I also recommend a Mouser 98k. But it really depends on your deff. of inexpensive.
    Last edited by thetruepyromaniak; March 31st, 2009 at 08:40 PM.

I really like my Savage 10 FP in .308 Win. It's a pre-accu trigger model, but groups under 1MOA right out of the box. No trigger job needed on this one.

(Allegheny County)

I don't know much about the nagant, but isn't that a semi auto? If you are using it for hunting thats a no no in PA, get a good bolt action.

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    I don't know much about the nagant, but isn't that a semi auto? If you are using it for hunting thats a no no in PA, get a good bolt action.
    No, the Nagant's a bolt action.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    Lone wolf beat me to it, but it is a bolt action. A little loud tho, so if you miss you might scare them to death. Once had the sound from one mistaken for a 50cal. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

The mosin is cheap for the money, although I wouldn't necessarily think it was the "best" out of cheaper rifles. It will get the job done, and if you look hard, you might be able to find some appropriate ammunition that will expand on deer. I wouldn't recommend hunting with FMJ bullets on deer, it's just not really all that ethical. The bullet will still kill them, but it's less than optimal.

If you're looking for something that will not be to expensive, you need to stay AWAY from the 7mm mag. I love magnum rifles, but in terms of cost effectiveness, especially for mostly target shooting; it's not what you want or need. Even the cheap ammunition is gonna be over $1 a round, and with the prices up right now, it may be somewhere closer to $1.50 for the cheap stuff. Most people think they like the idea of the magnums until you shoot 40 rounds of some hot loads, especially in a sporter weight right; it's not all that pleasant of an experience.

I would recommend that you go with something in the .308 caliber. I like the 7mm-08 better, but it's a bit odd ball, so ammo MAY be a bit more expensive and will be harder to find. I don't shoot .308, so I haven't looked at prices lately, so the price thing may not be the case right now. Either way, if you choose .308, it'll allow you to be able to find good match grade ammunition for taking it out to the 800 yards that you mention. If you're serious about doing that and not wasting money, you won't be shooting some cheap ammunition at those distances because it's not consistent enough to really tell you much about your shooting. At closer distances, cheaper ammunition may get it done, but at the longer stuff, it just won't.

I would say that in terms of accuracy, trigger, and reliability; you're probably not going to beat a Savage, particuarly the model 10. If you can, the heavier barreled rifles will be a bit better for long range and longer range sessions, but that's up to you. The accu-triggers aren't my favorite, but they do break clean and are adjustable. They just take a little getting used to. Every savage I've ever shot was under 1 moa at 100 yards; you won't be able to say that for the Nagant, and sometimes not even for a Remington 700. They're very reliable and SAFE actions, they shoot well, and you can work on them easily yourself. I don't think there's really much else that will compare to it in terms of accuracy and reliability for your dollar. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast