Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LTCF question.

(Allegheny County)

Default LTCF question.

So my 21st is on the fairly soon to come horizon and I'd like to jump through the hoops for a LTCF. Here's what is PROBABLY going to turn out to be a stupid question: I'll be moving to Maryland(don't start with their laws, hush yall) soon, but I'll be visiting the Pittsburgh area often. MD has thrown the 2nd amendment out, but PA has not. No way in hell I'd ever get an MD LTCF(because I'm usually a good guy and no one has threatened my life), but it would be easy as pie for me to obtain one here. Would it still be valid while I'm in town, despite living someplace else? As in, could I CC here, with a license, even if that license would be useless at home?

Forgive my possible ignorance on the subject, I see information, and it seems that calling law enforcement always ends up in misinformation with these things.

Default Re: LTCF question.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mad Dog View Post
    So my 21st is on the fairly soon to come horizon and I'd like to jump through the hoops for a LTCF. Here's what is PROBABLY going to turn out to be a stupid question: I'll be moving to Maryland(don't start with their laws, hush yall) soon, but I'll be visiting the Pittsburgh area often. MD has thrown the 2nd amendment out, but PA has not. No way in hell I'd ever get an MD LTCF(because I'm usually a good guy and no one has threatened my life), but it would be easy as pie for me to obtain one here. Would it still be valid while I'm in town, despite living someplace else? As in, could I CC here, with a license, even if that license would be useless at home?

Forgive my possible ignorance on the subject, I see information, and it seems that calling law enforcement always ends up in misinformation with these things.
    I would say that as soon as you take up residence in MD, the PA LTCF would be invalid, if you do get one while still a PA resident.

Because for a non-resident PA LTCF to be issued, you must have the equivalent from your home state.

So that kinda makes the situation you describe invalid, IMHO.

(Allegheny County)

If you move out of state, the license becomes a non-resident LTCF. In order for a Non-Resident LTCF to be lawfully issued in the state of Pa, you have to hold a LTCF or the equivalent form you home state - so I don't think it would be valid once you moved out of state.

That being said, you can obtain a Utah CPL (Concealed Pistol License) for about $120 total, training class and permit fee. This is what I would recommend to you, as it gets you carry privileges in PA, DE and OH, along with a host of other states.

(Jefferson County)

A PA LTCF is valid until it expires or is revoked. It will still be good. There is no clause in the UFA that says a license becomes invalid once you move.

PA doesn't issue "non-resident" licenses, what PA does is issue licenses to non-residents - its the same license. To qualify as a non-resident, yo have to have one from the state in which you reside. The home license requirement is a qualifier for issuance, not retaining. .....so, get your LTCF before you move to MD. The only catch will be that you will not be able to renew it without a MD permit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A PA LTCF is valid until it expires or is revoked. It will still be good. There is no clause in the UFA that says a license becomes invalid once you move.
    I thought for a license to be valid, you had to meet the requirements in section 6109(e) (specifically in this case sub-paragraph ix), and that a sheriff could revoke for any of those reasons as well...

So it stands to reason that if he moves out of state, is no longer a Pa resident, does NOT hold a MD carry permit that the sheriff, if he found out, could legally revoke the LTCF...

And if that's the case, doesn't that basically invalidate the license, since the requirements are no longer met?

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    I thought for a license to be valid, you had to meet the requirements in section 6109(e) (specifically in this case sub-paragraph ix), and that a sheriff could revoke for any of those reasons as well...

So it stands to reason that if he moves out of state, is no longer a Pa resident, does NOT hold a MD carry permit that the sheriff, if he found out, could legally revoke the LTCF...

And if that's the case, doesn't that basically invalidate the license, since the requirements are no longer met?
    That is my thinking on this also

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post

Do you need a new LTCF, if you move to a different Co. ? No.
    The LTCF is good until it expires,or is revoked.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Yes, but just because you move to a different county doesn't change your status as a Pa Resident. You still meet the enumerated requirements in 6109(e).

If you move out of state and do not hold a LTCF/CCW/CWP from your new state of residency, you no longer meet the requirements of 6109(3)(ix)

It's like if you were to violate 6109(3)(iii) (An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105). Do you say that such a person's LTCF is still valid?
    Last edited by lildobe; March 30th, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    The LTCF is good until it expires,or is revoked.
    I know how much people love this...but hell +1

(Montgomery County)

I see no failure to notify in the licensing for change of address.
    However, if the sheriff learns of the (non-recipritory) change of address he shall revoke the license.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
    (i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid. An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.
    (e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast