Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Dicks sporting goods not liking OC..

Well as i am continuing my quest for 9mm ammo for my taurus 24/7 pro (which is hard to find except expensive stuff right now...all plinking ammo is GONE) i found a few boxes of American Eagle FMJ 124g at Dicks. As I entered I saw no sign about carrying or i would have returned to my car and left it in my car. I continued in the store and shopped around, undisturbed.
    Once i got to the gun counter the oh so polite employee approached and i asked if i could get 2 boxed of the American Eagle, to which he replied sternley.
    Employee: "A better question is, How did you get in here with that!?"

Me: "I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal by open carrying in here, but I was not confronted or questioned when i came in."

Employee: "Well all i have to say is you better have a permit for that"

Me: "You dont need a permit to open carry sir, but for your reassurance, Yes I do have my license to carry"

Employee: "You better hope so" (in a challenging tone)

Me: "Thank you for your concern, can i please have my ammunition now?"

at this point he turns to get my ammo and places it on the counter to which i handed him the oh so handy pamphlet with the gun laws i downloaded from this site with which i said.
    "Thank you, and here is some information for you to help inform you and reassure you i was not breaking any laws or was in any wrong doing, have a good night sir"

I then go to the registers to cash out and the phone rings by the teller, the manager or whoever he was picks up and all i hear is "oh really?...ummm ok" and i look up and he's staring at my pistol....

I was not confronted or anything after that... just my first experience having anything said to me while OC, kinda intense for me...hope i did ok

Default Re: Dicks sporting goods not liking OC..

Quote Originally Posted by SxRacer108 View Post
    Well as i am continuing my quest for 9mm ammo for my taurus 24/7 pro (which is hard to find except expensive stuff right now...all plinking ammo is GONE) i found a few boxes of American Eagle FMJ 124g at Dicks. As I entered I saw no sign about carrying or i would have returned to my car and left it in my car. I continued in the store and shopped around, undisturbed.
    Once i got to the gun counter the oh so polite employee approached and i asked if i could get 2 boxed of the American Eagle, to which he replied sternley.
    Employee: "A better question is, How did you get in here with that!?"

Me: "I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal by open carrying in here, but I was not confronted or questioned when i came in."

Employee: "Well all i have to say is you better have a permit for that"

Me: "You dont need a permit to open carry sir, but for your reassurance, Yes I do have my license to carry"

Employee: "You better hope so" (in a challenging tone)

Me: "Thank you for your concern, can i please have my ammunition now?"

at this point he turns to get my ammo and places it on the counter to which i handed him the oh so handy pamphlet with the gun laws i downloaded from this site with which i said.
    "Thank you, and here is some information for you to help inform you and reassure you i was not breaking any laws or was in any wrong doing, have a good night sir"

I then go to the registers to cash out and the phone rings by the teller, the manager or whoever he was picks up and all i hear is "oh really?...ummm ok" and i look up and he's staring at my pistol....

I was not confronted or anything after that... just my first experience having anything said to me while OC, kinda intense for me...hope i did ok
    You did ok, weren't asked to leave, no arrest,......

ETA: I have not had any issues OC'ing at the Hanover store, the 3-4 times I've been there.
    Last edited by fingers80002; March 30th, 2009 at 09:34 PM.

(Allegheny County)

What arrogance! What poor customer relations and attitude toward patrons. Are we in the United States of America? Do people not hold our Constitution valuable and or even valid?

I'm getting so fed up with how those of us who exercise our 2A rights are treated. It's just so irresponsible for fellow Americans to threat us like this.

Okay, I'm done bitch'n... For now.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    What arrogance! What poor customer relations and attitude toward patrons. Are we in the United States of America? Do people not hold our Constitution valuable and or even valid?

I'm getting so fed up with how those of us who exercise our 2A rights are treated. It's just so irresponsible for fellow Americans to threat us like this.

Okay, I'm done bitch'n... For now.
    my thoughts exactly, i blame it on being mis-informed on gun laws, everyone looks at guns as bad things mainly due to the twisting of our govt. everyone should have a pistol...IMHO crime rates would drop dramatically.

my 2nd question would be...say they got pissed...didnt ask me to leave the store and called a LEO...what would i be confronted with by the LEO?

Is this the Dick's in Whitehall? I was in there once for some stuff, and while I was asked for my "permit", I replied that I did not need to show it and was not going to show it, but if I had to leave I would. As far as I am concerned, there isn't much worth going to Dick's for anyway. But uppity store people who usually don't know their own job to start make it even harder to take.

(Centre County)

I've had a similar experience one in Dick's here in State College. I was OC'ing my USP Compact, and basically it went like this.

Clerk: "are you a cop?"
    Me: No
    Clerk: "you know its illegal to open carry if you're not a LEO"
    Me: No its not, OC is only illegal in a city of first class without a LTCF.
    yada yada yada. Basically he shut up after that. I was probably a little more arrogant in my tone of voice than i should have been, but it was the first time someone ever challenged me OC'ing. (this was 2+ years ago mind you).

Fortuantly i have not seen that employee since, and have zero problems OC'ing even in Downtown SC. (granted i dont try and push the boundries with regards to university property, its mostly walking from my car to a resturant.)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Is this the Dick's in Whitehall? I was in there once for some stuff, and while I was asked for my "permit", I replied that I did not need to show it and was not going to show it, but if I had to leave I would. As far as I am concerned, there isn't much worth going to Dick's for anyway. But uppity store people who usually don't know their own job to start make it even harder to take.
    No it was the Dicks in Reading, trust me it was the last place i went to looking for ammo...cabellas was even out...lol

It's called Dick's for a reason...

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SxRacer108 View Post
    No it was the Dicks in Reading, trust me it was the last place i went to looking for ammo...cabellas was even out...lol
    You missed out Sx-----------Leesport gun show 2 weeks ago had plenty of 9mm..........picked up 2 sase of 124 gr TMJ-Speer.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohn26 View Post
    You missed out Sx-----------Leesport gun show 2 weeks ago had plenty of 9mm..........picked up 2 sase of 124 gr TMJ-Speer.
    yeah sad part is i live 5 mins up the road in shoemakersville and i missed it..haha o well. Im definately stocking up though when i can. its getting harder to come by even .40 is gettin run out baaaaad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast