Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Angry not happy with DICKS

was in north carolina this weekend visiting my son who home from overseas deployment. we went to dicks to check them out. and found they had 2 stoeger tatical shotties, 1 pump &1 auto , both had pistol grips good looking shotties.in around the 350 range for both. they also had the stoeger version of the beneli m4 military style gun for 619. then the salesman showed me a rack full of the mossberg 500 persauder with 20 " tubes and extended mag for 339. was going to buy 1 even tho from pa nc will sell long guns to pa residents but dicks will not. would have to have a manager sign off the gun and then have a shipping route implied and then have have receiving manager in a pa store to accept the weapon then i could buy it. could take up to 3 weeks but he said i would be guarranteed it at that price. and thats if both managers agreed to do it. talked to a guy at a eastern outfitters store down the road a cpl miles an hour later and said the guy iether didnot know what he was talking about or could bea dicks store policy. iether way i didnot end up with any shotgun.

Default Re: not happy with DICKS

I can't speak to Dick's in NC. My understanding (never tried it myself) is that Disck's stores in PA will not sell a firearm to NJ residents either.

Talking Re: not happy with DICKS

At least you don't like DICKS!
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Philadelphia County)

So try vaginas....... LOL Just kidding.

Bummer.... I would be unhappy too.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(York County)

I had a similar thing happen to me at a Dick's in Virginia a few months ago; they had a Marlin 30/30 on sale and it was a great buy. The guy behind the desk and his manager both said they are only allowed to sell to VA residents and residents of states that directly border VA. So I was out of luck. I'm not a big fan of Dick's overall, I hardly ever even step into their stores here in PA.
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

It is stupid "corporate policies" similar to this that have made me never bother looking at anything firearm related from large chain stores like Dick's and Dunhams ever again.

Warning, somewhat long story below:

I bought a shotgun from a Dick's store once and had to fill out a bunch of extra BS paperwork due to their corporate policy on gun sales. They ran the PICS check, then had to call thier corporate office for them to run their own check of some sort on me before I was allowed by Dick's to purchae the shotgun...so I passed PICS fine, but Dick's Corporate had to have a final say, just because they can. They also insisted on getting my full SS number or else it wouldn't be approved...so I told the guy to run it anyways with the last four numbers and see what happened. Pissed me off a little, but it was a great deal, so figured don't let it bother me too much and learn a lesson, so I told myself never again unless I find too good of a deal to pass up.

Now, just a month or so ago, I found a deal too good to pass up at a Dunham's for a new Remington 700 SPS (they were having a sale, plus extra rebates during a certain week) so I went in to get one they had graciously put on hold for me until the sale came into effect. Filled out the paperwork, paid for my PICS fee, then the guy behind the counter told me "Uh oh, we've got a big problem here. The address on your license address isn't what you wrote down on the form here, explain yourself."

I politely informed him that was the reason for giving him the little Penn-Dot Address Update card when I handed him my license and that he can see for himself that the new update card matches what I wrote on the form. I explained how I recently moved and this card from the state shows my info was updated with them. I was then told a tale about how federal law prohibits them from selling me a gun until my license has my current address on it, and that they would hold the gun for my while I went to update my license information. At this piont I informed him that he was lying because I had just purchased a handgun a week ago with the same credentials. He began to fumble around for something to say to me, then got a manager to tell me the same story, so I informed the manager of the same thing, and he decided to come clean with me: "Sir, it is just our corporate policy that requires us to have matching info on your license, but still, I can't sell you this gun until you update your license. Why don't you go get your license updated, and I'll hold this gun for you and honor the price we quoted you."

Sorry, but I'm not wasting half a day at a driver's license center and an extra $30 or whatever it costs to renew a license now when mine doesn't expire for another year. After asking why I was lied to and telling them how disappointed I was in how I was treated, I asked the manager if he could do me a favor and let Corporate Dunham's know that thier policy just cost them $600+ in a lost gun, ammo and accessories sale and that they lost even more money since I won't bother coming back to shop there for anything else, ever.

Sorry for the long story, just hit a sour note with me I guess.

(Monroe County)

I had the same run in with Dick's recently. I was in VT for a long weekend and the local store up there had a Savage .223 Varmint package on clearance for $375. VT is as gun friendly as can be and being a PA resident it should have been an easy purchase. They tried to tell me Federal Law said they couldn't sell it. I told them that hasn't been the case since 1986 and asked them to either prove it was illegal or admit it was company policy. Once they admitted it was company policy, I decided no more guns from Dick's, and I have bought guns from them before and would have continued to do so for the right deal. When they want to make up their own laws though, then I have a problem... I also made sure the store manager was aware of my displeasure

AJ

(Berks County)

I've purchased a couple of shooters from Dick's and never had the problems you guys have had. I told them what I wanted, they ran the PICS, I came back and they did the paperwork and I was off to the cashier....Hard to believe the guys up here are more versed in gun laws or corporate policy....

(Chester County)

I had an unrelated problem with Dick's. A friend of mine said to me well what do you expect from a place called Dick's.

With all the hassles associated with Dicks, Cabelas, Wal Mart, etc. do you think it's time to go back to the mom & pop stores if and when the firearm/ammo/componets shortage ends?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast