Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Latest News Headline on Pittsburgh Post Gazette.com

Gun-control lawmaker threatened by mail, 'lynching' sign
    Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Associated Press

HARRISBURG -- A Philadelphia lawmaker who supports tougher gun-control laws said today he will likely start wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying his gun more often after receiving a threatening e-mail.

Rep. Jewell Williams said during a news conference on gun control that he would ask police to investigate an e-mail he received this morning from an Allentown resident saying Mr. Williams should be shot for supporting Rep. Angel Cruz, also a Democrat from Philadelphia.

Mr. Williams, a former police officer who has a gun permit, said he also felt threatened by a gun-rights rally Tuesday during which two participants held up a banner calling for Mr. Cruz to be "hung from the tree of liberty." The message was protesting legislation sponsored by Mr. Cruz to require gun registration and a $10-a-gun annual fee.

"Now that I hear this attitude of people recommending lynching, I'll probably be wearing my gun more and possibly wearing my bulletproof vest, because we now think we're being threatened," Mr. Williams said.

A spokesman for the Capitol Police, Edward Myslewicz, said no formal complaint had been filed by today about either the banner or the e-mail Williams said he received.

Black lawmakers denounced the banner's message as racist and "a terroristic threat."

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Latest News Headline on Pittsburgh Post Gazette.com

he will likely start wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying his gun more often

I thought only LEO's were able to wear body armor?

I want body armor now as I'm more likely to get shot at than him!

(Cambria County)

Body armor is not illegal...

And the person that threatened to shoot someone via e-mail was a rather poor move. There's a difference between an appropriate figure of speech and a direct threat.

(Philadelphia County)

PA Law on body armor:

§ 907. Possessing instruments of crime.

(c) Unlawful body armor.--A person commits a felony of the third degree if in the course of the commission of a felony or in the attempt to commit a felony he uses or wears body armor or has the control, custody or possession any body armor.
    (d) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Body armor."Any protective covering for the body, or parts thereof, made of any polyaramid fiber or any resin-treated glass fiber cloth or any material or combination of materials made or designed to prevent, resist, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knife, cutting or piercing instrument or any other weapon.
    Fine to own/wear, but don't rob your local 7-11 while doing so.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Gotta love Cruz and his supporters.

"Now that I hear this attitude of people recommending lynching, I'll probably be wearing my gun more and possibly wearing my bulletproof vest, because we now think we're being threatened," Mr. Williams said.
    No hypocrisy in these folks.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Centre County)

I read this article in the Centre Daily Times this morning and it's typical of these hypocrites (just like Rosie). "We can have guns because we are "celebrities", law makers, rich, blah, blah, blah, but we don't want trustworthy, law abiding, citizens to own them because you might hurt yourself (or me)."

I hope the Capitol Police and PSP investigate the holding of the sign and tell the "lawmakers" that the people invloved where just expressing their 1st Amendment rights by using this metaphorical slogan. I don't necessarily think it was the smartest thing to do but I think they were within their rights. Why did the Black Causus get involved - Cruz is a Hispanic, it wasn't like the banner said "lynch the n*****s or lynch the s**c". As I took it "Hang them from the Liberty Tree" is a metaphor for don't mess with our freedoms/rights just like "Don't Tread on Me" and other slogans were used in our forefathers time.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

both comments are in poor taste but neither is a direct threat. Saying someone should be shot is not a threat and the hung from the tree of liberty comment is obviously figurative since there is no such tree. Doesnt this guy believe in freedom of speech? Especially when it is political speech?

(Bedford County)

Angry Re: Latest News Headline on Pittsburgh Post Gazette.com

All they are doing is trying to take light off of the assenine bill they proposed. I get more valid threats each day at work as tax agent for the state. Guess I better get a vest!

(Westmoreland County)

Cruz had no explanation for the bill. He probably didn't even read it like Wheatley. This whole furor is nothing more than a reason for him to have the bill.

Before Tuesday
    Us: Cruz, what's the purpose of this bill. Do you think it's constitutional or even effective?
    Cruz: Um....<leaves office>

After Tuesday
    Us: Cruz, what's the purpose of this bill. Do you think it's constitutional or even effective?
    Cruz: Absolutely! After all of the death threats I've received, i think it's about time we did something about these problems all over the country and especially in Philadelphia.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Philadelphia County)

The quote of the email in the above article was taken way out of context. I saw this on the news last night and the basic phrase was "you'd have a better chance of getting shot in Harrisburg than getting the bill passed..." citing it for statistical purposes. This was not a threat in any way as I remember it. Once again this man has no idea how to read. It was as figurative as the "tree of liberty" poster. Reading comprehension appears not to be his strong suit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast